Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravans and Diplomats Not Moving  (Read 1421 times)

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
Caravans and Diplomats Not Moving
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:12:14 am »

Rrrrrrrrfg. I just get most of a year of Gobbers sieges and stuff through, and we open up our gates. The migrant waves come in fine, but ever since, caravans and diplomats have arrived at the edge of the map and sat there no matter what I do. Including, and up to, literally building the depot in their face. It's definitely no problem of access or whatever, which was my origional theory. (The original Depot's drowning trap malfunctioned and it's now totally flooded, but we have a backup and it is wagon-accessible.)

Is there anything I'm particularly missing here? Or is it time to fill out my first bug report?

Well at least the liason made it over here, but the caravan remains frozen.

And they bear good news! We don't need no stinking trade, even though we don't have iron?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:32:07 am by HunterBlackLuna »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Caravans and Diplomats Not Moving
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:34:18 am »

They're probably still trying to get to your first trade depot.  Having multiple trade depots can screw up caravans - they decide which trade depot they want to go to and won't go to a different one, even if the one they picked is underwater or otherwise inaccessible.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:06:11 pm »

If you cannot deconstruct the original depot, [f]orbid all of the materials from which it is built.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:16:46 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 01:17:35 pm »

Thanks, I'll give that a try! I sort of wish the caravan would march to their watery grave, like they seem to want, but that's only the spiteful part of me.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:06:05 pm »

Here's the issue. I'm quite unDorfy when it comes to pumping and mechanisms and constructions more complex than drawbridges and stonefall traps, unfortunately. How would one go about draining an infinite-river source from the depot level?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:45:03 pm »

Pump it back into the river (or over the other side of the river) with a pump on the level above. You can power it directly with a waterwheel in the river, and use a retracting bridge as an on/off switch. Once the water level begins to drop you can either leave the pump to do the rest of the job, or remove the door and let the now-finite source of water drain off. Then wall off the tunnel.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:28:05 pm »

Thanks a ton! I remember reading a similar plan during the recovery of Battlefailed and I'm glad to have it explained explicitly.