Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Platinum food o_O  (Read 1266 times)

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
Platinum food o_O
« on: June 26, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

on my fortress i have given my dwarves flaming breath, unfortunately this has proved to have some problems. I had built a platinum block road, and a heard of deer charged down it, so i promptly sent out my marksdwarves to kill the deer, the marksdwarves fired 2 bolts then started burning things with their breath, the road promptly melted, leaving bits around which used the water symbol (double ~) but when looked at said that they were platinum. My dwarves then took these to the food storage area, but they dont show up in the food section. Is this a bug?
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Platinum food o_O
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »

quote:
Is this a bug?

The road melting, the changing of the road into the water symbol, it being picked up by your dwarves, it being put in the food storage, or that it's not counted in your food stores?

I suspect there's probably a bug or two in there, yes. Melted platinum probably shouldn't be going to your food stores. Taking a totally random guess - it doesn't have a designation as anything, so your dwarves just put it in the closest stockpile, which happened to be a food storage - not because it's food, but becuase they didn't know what to do with it.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »

This reminds me of my days in DRAGON FORTRESS!
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 05:00:00 pm »

I've noticed something like this, too. Somehow, some obsidian had melted by the lava flow and it was carried and stored in the nearest food stockpile.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 06:35:00 pm »

Yeah, this was coming from the glob item originally only being used for tallow/fat, but then that item type was co-opted for melted objects which later resolidify.  I've now fixed this.  I haven't handled the case where it's a metal item you might want to melt down back at the smelter -- you can designate the object to be melted down, but they won't bring it to a stockpile in advance now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 04:04:00 am »

I wonder if it will be possible to define materials and objects "eatable" by a race? For example, ice - a knife made of ice can easily be someone's stabbing death, but it can be someone's frozen drink, too. Especially with the flaming breath.  :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 07:28:00 am »

Ok, let's see...

Creatures may need tags, so a rust monsters may need a [ferrouseater] tag, and then iron and steel get the [ferrous] tag. So groups of like materials would be under the same tag, so a monster that eats gold can also eat silver and platinum and electrum. I'd say it would be very doable.