Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding playable race to adventure mode?  (Read 12781 times)

GhostRiiide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding playable race to adventure mode?
« on: April 26, 2012, 11:24:05 pm »

I wanna add my own custom race to adventure mode.

One with tentacles instead of arms, how do I do this?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding playable race to adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:55:34 am »

We need a lot more detail to help you.

Have you already created the custom race? Or are you starting from scratch? If you already have the race it is as simple as making an entity entry for them and adding an [ADVENTURE_TIER:4] and/or [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]. If you haven't already created them, you'll have to make the race as well. This is considerably more challenging. I suggest using these resources to help you figure everything out. Otherwise, toady himself has some basic tips in some of the raws such as creature_standard, which should help you figure out how it is all done.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Modding
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Category:DF2012:Modding

Good luck!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:10:27 am »

You'd have to create a new body definition with tentacles that have the [GRASP] tag. I have a custom race with tendrils on their backs.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:28:03 am »

Am I reading the wiki correctly that adding "[ADVENTURE_TIER:4]" to an entity will allow you to adventure as a member of a civilization from this race, as opposed to an outsider (which is what you get if you add [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE])?  I will definitely have to try this...

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 09:33:10 pm »

Am I reading the wiki correctly that adding "[ADVENTURE_TIER:4]" to an entity will allow you to adventure as a member of a civilization from this race, as opposed to an outsider (which is what you get if you add [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE])?  I will definitely have to try this...

Yes, you are correct. You'll need to change the number (4 -> 5 -> 6 etc) for every new entity you add this to.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:02:09 pm »

Of course, then you'll also have tentacleguy traders. That might or might not be an issue.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MrDim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 02:29:53 pm »

Of course, then you'll also have tentacleguy traders. That might or might not be an issue.

It won't because they'll eat wave at you and go on their way.