Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Totem displays?  (Read 2853 times)

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Totem displays?
« on: April 27, 2012, 06:48:05 pm »

I have never modded this game, aside from a few ethics changes, how would I go about adding a building? It's like the display case idea, but only with totems. I want it to have the same graphic as refuse, but white.

Edit: I got a legendary bone carver which I want to increase the fort value with :(
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:51:09 pm by Twangykid »

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: Totem displays?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47:29 pm »

I too am still clueless when it comes to buildings.  What I've read about the display case building leads me to imagine that it has as it's only tile a block that is determined by the users choice of item, but I could be in for a disappointment.

I do know that if you leave a skull sitting on a tile it has the graphic of refuse in white.  I would like to know if it possible to use a caged enemy in the display case or any modded building for that matter.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:19:05 pm »

You can't add buildings after worldgen.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 12:16:14 am »

You could change an already existing building into a totem but yeah... adding anything to the raws after worldgen is a bad idea.  We're talking flashing rainbow rocks, wagon meat, flying fluffy wambler megabeasts lying waste the the HFS civilization that eats nothing but trees.... oh and crashing.... lots of crashing...
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:21:17 am »

You could change an already existing building into a totem but yeah... adding anything to the raws after worldgen is a bad idea.  We're talking flashing rainbow rocks, wagon meat, flying fluffy wambler megabeasts lying waste the the HFS civilization that eats nothing but trees.... oh and crashing.... lots of crashing...

No, no, that shouldn't happen, but it simply not working should.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:10:14 am »

I remember threads about people adding mineral types to the game after embark, and when the offset of the minerals changed, the game loaded them by file offset and not by name.  Adding one shifted everything down by one, and some of the things ended up being "special" inorganics so the entire world became rainbow colored ground and strange things that should not be, like !!ROCKS!! and what not.

Could be different in 34.07 tho.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:24:05 pm »

Related question- what is the totem's tile anyway? It's pretty distinctive in Phoebus but I can't find it in the raws. I'd like to make a building that works like a display case, but looks like a totem, and takes 3 blocks, 1 log and 1 totem (artifact allowed) to build.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 02:10:41 pm »

It's kinda like a c, but with a line under it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 05:21:07 pm »

Totem is tile # 135.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"