Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Goblin Fortress  (Read 33352 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: goblin fortress
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 07:52:35 am »

for a caravan, add [PACK_ANIMAL] (perhaps [WAGON_PULLER] is needed as well, i dont know)to the troll entry
you are replacing the indicated raw entries with the values i have posted?  not adding them to the file, but replacing.  my goblins have no problem equipping armor, farming, and crafting.  turning weaving off is as simple as v-p-l cursor-overing the goblin you want to disable weaving on, crafts menu, pressing "-" or "+" to select weaving and pressing enter.

you probably knew all that, but it never hurts to make sure.

i say this because my goblins have always had butchery and planting.

goblins no not have [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENCE], yet checking their status in fortress mode is no different from a dwarf.  i'm guessing keeping track of booze withdrawal in fortress mode is hardcoded.

i havent yet tested drinking only water.  they really shouldent get a bad thought from it, or be slowed by lack of booze.  again, i've been able to normally set a brewer, and he's brewed just fine.

perhaps it is one of the other mods you are using?

you dont have to change anything for pig iron and steel.  by default, only the dwarves can work that.  goblins do have adamantine access, however.  i will leave this unchanged, myself.  considering what often is the civ leader of the goblins, i feel it fitting they have knowledge of how to use it.

i will most likely make no further changes.  day after tomorrow, i'll upload my entire raw folder.  take that, and then apply any other mods you want on top of it, and you should be running good.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 09:16:34 am »

So, add [WAGON_PULLER] to trolls? Got it. I'll examine your goblin modifications to figure out why the "farming" labors are nonexistant: I can embark with a grower, and he will grow, but I can't make a new goblin a grower.

And I think that, knowing the goblin's backstory, Slade would be more appropriate than Adamantine. But whatever floats your boat. I think I'll also remove all "complex" reactions except Bronze/Brass from Goblin knowledge (Rose Gold, Nickle Silver, Sterling Silver, Billon, etc)
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 09:23:01 am »

Re-read the raws you posted. Other than, perhaps, a Manager, I can see no reason why my Goblins can't enable/disable the agriculture/jewelery/crafting labors.
Also, those are some pretty long-lived trolls.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 05:11:23 pm »

Re-read the raws you posted. Other than, perhaps, a Manager, I can see no reason why my Goblins can't enable/disable the agriculture/jewelery/crafting labors.
Also, those are some pretty long-lived trolls.
WAGON_PULLER and PACK_ANIMAL.

troll age is left at default.

the only thing i can think of is something overwriting your goblins entry to disable stuff that is on by default.  i can use farming normally, and gem cutting (which i added) also fine.  i have no manager, only the bookkeeper, broker, and warlord.  i do not have the complex reactions (aside from bronze and a pewter i think) enabled at my forges.  it's a much shorter list than with the dwarves overall.  i know it leaves weapons grade metal, and a few of the decorative (silver, gold, platinum for sure)

try all vanilla, aside from the goblin changes, then add a mod one by one till you find where it breaks.

i plan on zipping my raw folder up and uploading tomorrow, you should be able to use that to have playable goblins, just make sure that the mods you use dont conflict.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 09:21:02 pm »

Adding all jobs allowed my goblins to do stuff, so, yay.
I added the [IS_STONE] tags to the morningstar. I think an Obsidian Morningstar is very evil-looking and perfect for goblins.

I've been building a giant 20x20 tower out of Smoothed Obsidian Blocks and Smoothed Hematite Blocks for my Goblins to live in. Last one got killed by Elves. I know Elves get a lot of shit for being hippies, but they're not bad in a fight. Plus, War Bears.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 03:39:17 pm »

1) Goblins dont need danger rooms. They always spar when you tell them to train. No sissy demonstrations for them.
2) I'm trying to make Trolls "sub-citizens": I want to be able to embark with them like livestock and give them simple tasks (Hauling, pretty much) and put them in my military. I'd much rather have an army of Pike-armed Trolls than Spear-armed Goblins.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 01:51:12 am »

i'm not sure that trolls can do work.  perhaps you can have both "livestock" trolls and "full citizen" trolls, but not a little of both, i think.  it should be easy enough to have citizen trolls, i think.  you'd have to add them to the evil entry of entity_default, i'm pretty sure.  if you're using my trolls, you'd prolly have to re-add equips, and designate some other animal as the [PACK_ANIMAL] and/or [WAGONPULLER].

i'll be uploading first thing when i wake up.

might also change this to development discussion and make a release thread, if it warrants it.  if not, i'll just fix up the first post.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 11:44:55 am »

and done.  updated first post as well.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 12:27:41 pm »

I'm in the process of building a giant tower from Obsidian for my gobs to live in.
Is there a way to remove blood/snow from the game? It's all over the place and looks ugly.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 02:01:31 pm »

I'm in the process of building a giant tower from Obsidian for my gobs to live in.
Is there a way to remove blood/snow from the game? It's all over the place and looks ugly.
third party utility can do it.  i forget which one though, wiki has it listed for sure.

ingame - no.  i like to leave it around myself.  spices the place up.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 02:06:52 pm »

i believe it's df hack that can clean the blood up. not the snow, though. you'll prob'ly need magma for that

and it does kinda spice the place up. there was one thread (what's going on in your fort, i think) that had someone post a bit of a tale about using snow getting furrowed to track untriggered ambushes sneaking around. and also, had pictures showing long trails of bloody snow that showed the paths said ambushes preferred to take

i sorta think an obsidian tower jutting out of the icy wastes, crowned with snow, seems a bit more intimidating than the same tower slowly sinking into a marsh (yeah, i know, that doesn't happen in df) or with its base practically swallowed by a jungle

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 02:19:08 pm »

The snow is INSIDE the tower. It's all over my nice Smoothed Obsidian Block and Smoothed Cassiterite Block floors.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 02:46:00 pm »

The snow is INSIDE the tower. It's all over my nice Smoothed Obsidian Block and Smoothed Cassiterite Block floors.
in that case, make all your furniture out of microline and have ice-goblins =D

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 02:49:01 pm »

Once I get the fortress built, I'll deconstruct all the floors/buildings and re-build them.

Ceeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 03:24:33 pm »

Goblins don't seem to be able to make bronze (bismuth or regular). Is this by design? They probably should be able to imho since they have the ability to smelt iron.

Actually it seems to be any sort of bar involving more than one material. Steel I can understand the removal of.

Also, Goblins can manufacture bolts and crossbows as well as having the marksman skill, but cannot use them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:47:11 pm by Ceeker »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8