Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more artifact limits?  (Read 2815 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No more artifact limits?
« on: July 29, 2011, 04:57:42 pm »

So I've been playing a 31.25 fort pretty long term now.  Call it 20 years or so.

I have 70 artifacts.  There have been no hiccups, just artifact after artifact.  That's not counting named weapons etc.  The only limiting factor seems to be moodable dwarves.

Have other people had this experience?  Has anybody reached any kind of, "Nope, no more artifacts until I dig some shafts," or anything of the like?

I'm curious, because there's always been significant limits to the numbers of artifacts in previous versions.  Is that no more?

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No more artifact limits?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 05:12:21 pm »

I can agree that moods are far larger in number than before.
They also seem to be more dependant on amount of rocks dug out.
In my most recent 30 year old fort I nearly hit 3 pages worth of artifacts, while never going beyond 74 dwarves. Considering 3/4 of my forts were masons on Blocks/R, my whole unit list was shining.
It is kind of ridiculous.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:20:43 pm »

I'm curious about you saying that they're more dependent on rocks being dug out-- did you notice a long artifact drought during a period when you weren't digging/discovering?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 05:23:28 pm »

I'm curious about you saying that they're more dependent on rocks being dug out-- did you notice a long artifact drought during a period when you weren't digging/discovering?
Amount of squares dug out affects artifact limit, as does population.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:25:06 pm »

70 artifacts in 20 years? Geez, my fort is 23 years old and I only have 24. I've dug out massive sections and created countless numbers of objects, if that is still a requirement. Maybe my low population (50) has something to do with it?

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 05:30:17 pm »

The thing is, while that was definitely the case in previous versions, I don't think anyone's confirmed it beyond hearsay in the 31.xx versions.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 05:31:48 pm »

It used to.  I'm not so sure it does any more.  If it does, not in any meaningful way-- the vast majority of my 70 artifacts were from before I had even fully mapped the caverns.  Unless my game is just bugged or something.

Populations requirements seem to have changed too, btw-- reports of artifacts with as few as 17 dwarves, if I'm not mistaken, although I didn't experience that myself.

Edit: What ImB said :)

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 06:03:56 pm »

Yeah, I've gotten artifacts before my first spring migrant wave, when my population is still 16 at most.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:27:07 pm »

This might sounds really crazy, but I've been believing the opposite--since .25 I have noticeably less artifacts than before. Sometimes it takes me years to get even one.  Used to be a regular twice a year thing, now not so much.  Is it digging stone that triggers it?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 06:41:13 pm »

I know for a fact that the strange mood code still does the "total number of items / 200" check, but I'm not certain about the revealed tiles check (mainly because I can't locate said check in 40d, and I know it's in that version).

0x517A5D is probably the most likely person to know the answer to this question.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »

Quietust, do you have a way of reading the memory involved in that calculation?  It would be interesting to see what actually counts as created items-- there are tons of potential questions regarding it.  Like do previously traded (off-map) items count?  Do mined stones count?  Do destroyed items (for instance, bars used to create alloy) count?  Refuse?  Imported items?  Owned imports?  Decorated imports?  Booze?  Do stacks count as a single item or multiple?  Do jobs with multiple outputs (alloys again, usually) count multiply?  Walls constructed from blocks, bars, rough stone?

Depending on how the value is stored, it might let us verify that the check is actually limiting artifacts, too-- all you need is a fortress where #artifacts*200>itemcount to show that it isn't.  Depending on what counts as an item, for instance, I might be over that myself-- 200*70=14000 items--more than 100 per dwarf, when each dwarf really needs about 15 items, not counting consumables.