Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Does a shitty diagnostician affect resulting diagnosis?  (Read 60939 times)

GhostSade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does a shitty diagnostician affect resulting diagnosis?
« on: July 28, 2011, 07:26:38 pm »

Say the diagnosis level of a dwarf is like 2, will he give the exact same diagnosis as a legendary diagnostician, or could he screw up and call for incorrect procedures, potentially harming the dwarf and wasting resources and time in the process?
I like to approach things with a certain "mix" of insane vs. not insane...I DO have cruelty potential.  Like wanting to feed a bunch of unarmed elven women to a tentacle demon. 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Does a shitty diagnostician affect resulting diagnosis?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 07:34:38 pm »

If it doesn't, then I want it in.

"This man has an infected liver! We're going to have to take it out!"

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:36:39 pm »

I don't think anything like that is implimented yet. It may affect time taken to diagnose, though.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:40:56 pm »

If it doesn't, then I want it in.

"This man has an infected liver! We're going to have to take it out!"

Sounds like the Medic from TF2.  o.o
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 07:42:19 pm »

"Well, Mr. Urist, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that your spine had only mild bruising. The bad news is that our intern took your legs off anyway."
This is to make me recognizable.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:33:34 pm »

"Well, Mr. Urist, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that your spine had only mild bruising. The bad news is that our intern took your legs off anyway."
sigged
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:41:48 pm »

Yes the skill affects the diagonsis.  Low levels will have to re-diagnois often, and will sometimes need multiple tries to get it right.  Also some poisons/forgotten beast things won't be caught by low skill levels, like light rotting.  It makes it really hard to stop otherwise preventable things.
Nom nom nom

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 08:47:34 pm »

Yes the skill affects the diagonsis.  Low levels will have to re-diagnois often, and will sometimes need multiple tries to get it right.  Also some poisons/forgotten beast things won't be caught by low skill levels, like light rotting.  It makes it really hard to stop otherwise preventable things.
i had a hunch this was the case.
suddenly i dont feel dumb at ALL for always embarking with a 5 point diagnoser.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:38:02 pm »

I had a fish cleaner turned emergency medic diagnose a missing foot 7 times before finally coming to the glorious conclusion that the patient needed a crutch.  Which somebody else gave him, so I'm not even sure Dr. McI'mBetterWithIchthyes was the one that figured it out.

Bad diagnosers are hilarious....and sometimes a little sad.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 09:42:25 pm »

welp I just did a bit of testing
A 0 skill medic with diagnose turned on, who barely cared for others with no empathy just diagnosed a patient with rotten lungs (for a small cut on thier arm) and then removed both lungs.  He did not survive the operation.  It seems that skill-less diagnoses can give false results.
Nom nom nom

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »

A 0 skill medic with diagnose turned on, who barely cared for others with no empathy just diagnosed a patient with rotten lungs (for a small cut on thier arm) and then removed both lungs.  He did not survive the operation.  It seems that skill-less diagnoses can give false results.

Well, maybe that's just dwarven medicine. We need a control test. Have a legendary diagnoser do the same operation on the same guy!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 09:44:49 pm »

I will now start placing 0-skill diagnosticians as my chief medical dwarves. This is hilarious.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 09:46:55 pm »

Doctor: He needs surgery!  We must remove his damaged lungs to keep the rotting from spreading!
Nurse:Doctor, are you sure that's wise?
Doctor:Quiet!  I'm the doctor.
*Hack chop*
Urist McBuisedToe has suffocated.
Doctor:No, I lost him.... Why must God take away only the good people!!!!!
Armok: Because you removed both his lungs you dumbass.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 10:57:42 pm »

A 0 skill medic with diagnose turned on, who barely cared for others with no empathy just diagnosed a patient with rotten lungs (for a small cut on thier arm) and then removed both lungs.  He did not survive the operation.

Wait... what?

I knew dwarfs were idiots, but this takes the cake. Mmm... cake.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 11:43:45 pm »

I had a legendary diagnoser (odd fortress where more were wounded than killed and I git a ton of doctors coming in via migration) once. It was pretty awesome, he hated people in general and managed to get his leg seriously damaged in an FB attack. So I named him House. There was also a novice surgeon who came in with novice surgery skills. He was immediately made into both the butcher and the surgeon, both facilities were next to each other, lots of fun was had. :D
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4