Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Does a shitty diagnostician affect resulting diagnosis?  (Read 61049 times)

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does a shitty diagnostician affect resulting diagnosis?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 08:40:48 am »

A 0 skill medic with diagnose turned on, who barely cared for others with no empathy just diagnosed a patient with rotten lungs (for a small cut on thier arm) and then removed both lungs.  He did not survive the operation.  It seems that skill-less diagnoses can give false results.

My god, it all makes sense now. You know how your legendary miner breaks 7 bones in a cave-in then continues working, refusing to see a doctor? Or your military dwarf loses an arm and gets a dozen other slashes from goblin blades, gets infected, but never stops patrolling? No wonder, if this is the medical care they have to look forward to.

"Ach no, dinnae take me to them butchers in the hospital, nae so long as I kin still crawl to the ale stockpile on me own."
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 11:22:32 am »

A 0 skill medic with diagnose turned on, who barely cared for others with no empathy just diagnosed a patient with rotten lungs (for a small cut on thier arm) and then removed both lungs.  He did not survive the operation.  It seems that skill-less diagnoses can give false results.

My god, it all makes sense now. You know how your legendary miner breaks 7 bones in a cave-in then continues working, refusing to see a doctor? Or your military dwarf loses an arm and gets a dozen other slashes from goblin blades, gets infected, but never stops patrolling? No wonder, if this is the medical care they have to look forward to.

"Ach no, dinnae take me to them butchers in the hospital, nae so long as I kin still crawl to the ale stockpile on me own."
on the other hand, it meshes with my goblin fortress project quite nicely!
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 01:16:27 pm »

I'm not sure whether to blame the "adequate" diagnoser or the "novice" suturer, but I had a dwarf who got shot through the hand by a goblin.  He went to the hospital, got diagnosed, got the wound cleaned, stitched up and bandaged, and went happily back to his daily routine... where I found that he still had the arrow stuck through his hand. 

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 01:29:51 pm »

I'm not sure whether to blame the "adequate" diagnoser or the "novice" suturer, but I had a dwarf who got shot through the hand by a goblin.  He went to the hospital, got diagnosed, got the wound cleaned, stitched up and bandaged, and went happily back to his daily routine... where I found that he still had the arrow stuck through his hand.

If he attacks somebody, can he use it/does it affect anything?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 01:45:15 pm »

Ya I see dwarves leave the hospital with an arrow left in them and its the diagnoser, i got an level 3 diagnoser(whatever the thing past adequate is) and around level 8 everything else with a few 10+ (all from migrent waves) And the idoets still dont take the arrow out.

UristMcImpaledFoot:Doctor dont you think that should come out?
UristMcIdoet: No thats fine were not suppost to take that out.
UristMcImpaledFoot: But wont it get infected?
UristMcIdoet: No, No, No we cleaned it.
UristMcImpaledFoot:Ya you did, the outside not the inside.
UristMcIdoet: Thats enough
UristMcImpaledFoot: Your an Idoet...
UrintMcImpaledFoot Has Died From Infection.*more*
Should Have Took That Arrow Out Dumb Ass

Not that this can happen(that I know of) but still its funny :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:46:58 pm by BeforeLifer »
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 01:52:24 pm »

The diagnoser has nothing to do with removing the arrow.  The arrow will be forbidden by default, being both spent ammunition and enemy equipment, and while it's forbidden no dwarf will touch it to remove it.  If you un-forbid the arrow and have an ammunition stockpile, it will be removed and stored, no diagnosis required.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 01:55:00 pm »

Many veterans have shell fragments inside their body until they die, I'd imagine that many of the few who got injured during medieval combat and survived may also had some fragments inside their bodies. So, somehow it's realistic.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »

Oh yes, I remember the tales of Mormund the Vicious: The greatest warrior who fought with twenty-five arrows and a ballista bolt hanging out of him.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 04:02:39 pm »

This is why we need a "perform experimental surgery on pets and prisoners"  job
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 05:37:32 am »

These hilarious stories does not change fact that dwarf dabbling in medicine with helpful personality will save more lives than legendary doctor that hates people. Someone can wonder how exactly he get to legendary status, but game simply do not check personality while generating skills for imigrants.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 05:46:54 am »

He grew to legendary status as TF2's Medic... Using "healing" as a cover-up for satisfying his curiosity.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 08:43:09 pm »

The diagnoser has nothing to do with removing the arrow.  The arrow will be forbidden by default, being both spent ammunition and enemy equipment, and while it's forbidden no dwarf will touch it to remove it.  If you un-forbid the arrow and have an ammunition stockpile, it will be removed and stored, no diagnosis required.
But it seems like sometimes they do remove them, without me unforbidding them.  A dwarf will leave the hospital and there'll be a {(copper arrow)} sitting on the bed in a pool of blood.  Unfortunately I don't have any goblins handy with which to test this, but that's what I remember.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:47:08 pm by Mintaka »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 09:32:32 pm »

But it seems like sometimes they do remove them, without me unforbidding them.  A dwarf will leave the hospital and there'll be a {(copper arrow)} sitting on the bed in a pool of blood.  Unfortunately I don't have any goblins handy with which to test this, but that's what I remember.

I have seen this myself. They will remove forbidden arrows. Before healthcare was put in, dwarves used to not remove forbidden arrows from themselves, but the doctors will.

I do wish it were possible to train diagnosticians and doctors. Every doctor that comes to my fort loses skill over time. Every 5 years or so I'll have some big emergency, and nobody is up to speed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:42:07 pm by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2011, 10:00:00 pm »

Yea I have the same problem.  They get a little bit of a workout about twice a year, when the goblins show up, but it's rarely more than one or two melee guys who took some minor injury or another, not enough to keep the docs from going rusty.

And then once in awhile I'll have this big influx of patients like when a siege went particularly badly for my melee guys, or an elite goblin bowman got in range of my fortifications before I could pull my own archers back, and suddenly I'm stuck with half a dozen doctors who barely remember what they are doing trying to fix up a dozen or more soldiers who took the pointy end of some goblin weapon to a fleshy bit.

Perhaps if we had some way to keep our doctors from going rusty, without something meta like a training spear spike in the main hall. 

Corpses could be good for that, making a use for sentient corpses that can't be actually butchered but is probably close enough to dwarf anatomy to be useful in diagnosis (what killed this goblin and why).  Animals too I imagine for stuff like suturing, wound dressing, bone setting and surgery too.  PETA would burn an effigy of you on a stake, but it doesn't seem too absurd for a practicing doctor to cause some wound to an animal and then fix it up for practice.  Be useless for diagnosis though, since the animals are significantly different anatomically.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:02:54 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 11:23:30 pm »

So I guess if a patient had a nosebleed, the dwarven doctor would apply a tourniquet to the neck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4