Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Does a shitty diagnostician affect resulting diagnosis?  (Read 61050 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does a shitty diagnostician affect resulting diagnosis?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2011, 12:06:30 am »

PETA would burn an effigy of you on a stake, but it doesn't seem too absurd for a practicing doctor to cause some wound to an animal and then fix it up for practice.  Be useless for diagnosis though, since the animals are significantly different anatomically.

A friend of mine was deployed as a medic to Iraq.  Before they went, they had what they called a "goat lab."  Nothing officially sanctioned, of course.

You'd be surprised at how similar people are to other mammals.  Wouldn't trust a vet to cut a tumor out of me, not with any better options around, but as far as diagnosis goes, a lot of it relies on symptoms that people share with most mammals.  There are specific details to each animal, of course-- vital signs are different, for instance-- but we have the same organs mostly, that provide the same functions, and lead to the same signs when things go wrong.  Even medical treatment is similar, although of course doses differ.

Of course, DF deals with even more primitive medicine that we've got today.  A cut's a cut, and a fracture's a fracture.  Even DF surgery seems to deal mostly with excision of necrotic flesh.  People are easier to treat than animals-- they'll describe what's wrong, and they'll even follow instructions some of the time.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Kurskovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2011, 02:28:55 am »

and they'll even follow instructions some of the time.

Urist McDoc "now you keep that that bandage on"
Urist McArrowwound *promptly dumps bandage in room*

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2011, 02:54:28 am »

PETA would burn an effigy of you on a stake...

I think they're already doing that every now and then...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2011, 07:25:25 am »

With all the stuff people have done to kittens in DF, PETA isn't exactly about to become more pissed off by some animal dissecting.
Magma is overrated.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 07:51:41 am »

PETA are modern-day elves. Fuck them.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 08:40:48 am »

I wonder...did that doc that removed the dwarf's lungs get the dwarf as a kill?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 02:15:51 am »

Urist McUnfriendlyDoctor the Butcher of Patients: 17 notable kills

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 04:26:37 pm »

(After a patient comes in suffering from broken limbs and mangled organs. Having fought of the greatest and most powerful FB the surgeon deems in necessary to revive him)
Urist McUnfriendlyDoctor: "Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology."
Urist McNurse "True, but it's not the technology we're worried about doctor."
(Urist McUnfriendly Doctor turns on Urist McNurse slowly menacing with a cleaver)
Urist McUnfriendlyDoctor: "Oh dear, nurse, you seem to have a brain hemorrhage. Shame that but don't worry, I shall fix it and you permanently")
Urist McNurse: "What?! No! No I don't! Get away from me! Get awa....AHHHHH!"

Urist McNurse has been struck down!
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Greader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 06:05:39 pm »

I just had an idea how the problem of the diagnostic-skill becoming rusty could be solved. The idea is pretty much that every dwarf goes to see the diagnostician once per few months for a quick check-up. It would be really short (In-game it would be pretty much just a dwarf running into the hospital, standing next to the dovtor for a few seconds and then leaving) and it wouldn't give the doctor much skill. If the rate at which dwarves get checked is right it should prevent any skill loss and even slowly train the doctor over time.

Though I suppose that mechanic wouldn't really help much now, other than to keep the skill up.

Leonance

• Bay Watcher
  • Moltar shows us how dwarves solve all problems.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 06:14:28 pm »

I just had an idea how the problem of the diagnostic-skill becoming rusty could be solved. The idea is pretty much that every dwarf goes to see the diagnostician once per few months for a quick check-up. It would be really short (In-game it would be pretty much just a dwarf running into the hospital, standing next to the dovtor for a few seconds and then leaving) and it wouldn't give the doctor much skill. If the rate at which dwarves get checked is right it should prevent any skill loss and even slowly train the doctor over time.

Though I suppose that mechanic wouldn't really help much now, other than to keep the skill up.

I can see it now my whole fort dies now because Urist McMason did not build the wall that would save the fortress from flooding/invaders/Moody dwarves/etc... cause he was getting a physical.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 06:24:44 pm »

Does this mean that we have advanced beyond the guild system into a union system that advocates mandatory medical care for all workers?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 09:24:56 pm »

I can imagine a dabbling diagnosor now during checkups.

Urist: Hi doc, just here for my checkup.  If all is good I'll go back to work.

Urist:Ok Urist, lemme just take a quick look see here...  CANCER!  You have cancer!

Urist: I have what?  How can that be? I feel fine!

Urist: Nurse Urist, please remove this dwarf's heart to prevent his blood cancer from spreading.  Next patient!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 01:40:05 am »

It seems that in the current system, animals don't receive medical care.  Considering how often they seem to fight, enabling medical care for animals might be a great help to keeping your doctors in shape.

I really like the autopsy idea though: modern med students practice techniques and study anatomy with cadavers long before they first put a live patient under the knife.  I could easily see a Urist McGalen teaching the proper techniques for suturing and removing necrotic flesh using "spare" goblin corpses.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 09:08:41 am »

A high Memory attribute should help with the problem of diagnosis skill atrophying. Seems like  good embark doctor should have high empathy and memory.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 09:34:15 am »

Reminds me of penis inspection day at school.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4