Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Does a shitty diagnostician affect resulting diagnosis?  (Read 61037 times)

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does a shitty diagnostician affect resulting diagnosis?
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 01:52:39 pm »

Reminds me of penis inspection day at school.

Is that where your nick is from, HorridOwn4ge?
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 02:35:40 pm »

Reminds me of penis inspection day at school.

pls go
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

BCPowers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 04:52:16 pm »

For those of you who don't want your skilled doctors to rust, has anyone tried settings up something like the following:
1. Have a room with a trap that will injured but not kill a dwarf, don't know what item can do this, would require some science.
2. Have a few dwarfs profession changed to Meatbag.
3. Rough them up a little with your trap room.
4. ????
5. Profit!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 06:15:34 pm »

I think Deon whipped up some modded workshops that allow anyone to train up medical skills.
Sure, it's a mod-product but it's something worth looking into if you want to keep your doc's skilled without the use of overly-complex rooms meant to "lightly" injure people. Because sooner or later, the crazy cat lady will walk in with all of her cats, and leave with none.

Also, I'm pretty sure sooner or later Toady will allow animals to get healthcare too, but I figure it's the Animal Caretakers who will do that work. Or maybe not. Might be that their job is just going to be to keep the animals fed and so on, while doc's and etc. will do all medical work. Would be pretty useful regardless.

It's sad that I rarely get a named&titled doorstep guard animal these days, because a few months after they get a name, they die of infection from a cut toe or something. Maybe I should install a flooder to the room. Does getting water all over you help fight infections or is a proper Clean Patient job required?

Anyway. When I make medical teams, it's mostly staffed by migrant-arrived doc's of various skills. Usually I end up giving them all Diagnostic jobs because god damn doc's don't do enough even now. Some jobless dorfs end up with the Nurse job and they have to do everything but diagnostics. Haven't seen too many horrible treatment mistakes yet, so I guess it's rare for them to botch up their job completely. Well that, or a good diagnostics clears that right out and the actual job just takes longer if the dorf doing the surgery or suturing is only dabbling at it.

Although I do have one amusing medical story that came to mind. One fort of mine had a miner who had their upper spine turned to mush by a skeletal camel. Same miner later on had their LOWER spine turned to mush by yet another skeletal camel. They still ended up moving all over the place, couldn't work of course but they managed to survive. Somehow. I don't even want to know how. It's sort of a depressing mental image. We really need dwarven wheelchairs.

Also, if you REALLY must do a wrecking-room for useless dorfs to be turned into work-on patient test subjects, I suggest a good 2-3 level drop from a bridge. That should be enough to give mild injuries. Hopefully. Or you end up with a totally broken dorf from 3 levels of drop.

It's all for SCIENCE though, right?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 06:48:21 pm »

Now that I think about it (by watching goblins fall and get their injuries nullified by body armor)  Making a simple one or two dwarf squad and forcing them to fall 2 z levels should train your doctors quite nicely.  Should create plenty of shattered limbs that should train all but surgery, while giving them a metal breastplate and helmet should protect their vital bits.

And of course I refer people to part 1 of my sig if they choose to attempt this.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 12:32:37 pm »

Haven't seen too many horrible treatment mistakes yet, so I guess it's rare for them to botch up their job completely.
AFAIK currently only one medical malpractice possible is neglect (always, ALWAYS give these jobs to dorfs that at like to help other!). Low skill affects only speed.

Other cases are due to bugs (for example: stubbed toe = bedridden for years, ripped off hand = shrug it off and go back to work), not skill level.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2011, 03:10:47 pm »

Corpses could be good for that, making a use for sentient corpses that can't be actually butchered but is probably close enough to dwarf anatomy to be useful in diagnosis (what killed this goblin and why).  Animals too I imagine for stuff like suturing, wound dressing, bone setting and surgery too.  PETA would burn an effigy of you on a stake, but it doesn't seem too absurd for a practicing doctor to cause some wound to an animal and then fix it up for practice.  Be useless for diagnosis though, since the animals are significantly different anatomically.

That seems like a cool Idea, so that when a crazy dwarf decides to murder somebody, you can have a team of CSIs to figure out what killed him/her.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 05:41:38 pm »

I just had an idea how the problem of the diagnostic-skill becoming rusty could be solved. The idea is pretty much that every dwarf goes to see the diagnostician once per few months for a quick check-up. It would be really short (In-game it would be pretty much just a dwarf running into the hospital, standing next to the dovtor for a few seconds and then leaving) and it wouldn't give the doctor much skill. If the rate at which dwarves get checked is right it should prevent any skill loss and even slowly train the doctor over time.

Though I suppose that mechanic wouldn't really help much now, other than to keep the skill up.

I can see it now my whole fort dies now because Urist McMason did not build the wall that would save the fortress from flooding/invaders/Moody dwarves/etc... cause he was getting a physical.
Which is better than Urist McDoctor misdiagnosing Urist McFriendlyidler's stubbed toe as, say, a rotten brain, causing a massive tantrum spiral. At least it would be more realistic.

Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 11:15:26 pm »

I tested both this doctor myth and ballistas by setting up a ballista at the end of a meeting room.

All of the noob diagnosers correctly diagnosed the wounds.
All of the noob surgeons correctly, though slowly, operated on the patients.
There was no malpractice.

Ballista bolts strike as blunt weapons with a large contact area, meaning that silver-tipped ballista bolts (which weigh as much as if the entire bolt was made of silver) strike with bone-shattering force. Purely wood ballista bolts only bruise muscle and fat.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 11:51:14 pm »

Nice multitasking :D

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2011, 07:51:48 am »

I think Deon whipped up some modded workshops that allow anyone to train up medical skills.
Sure, it's a mod-product but it's something worth looking into if you want to keep your doc's skilled without the use of overly-complex rooms meant to "lightly" injure people. Because sooner or later, the crazy cat lady will walk in with all of her cats, and leave with none.

Another option is to use Runesmith to hack your doctors and give them a very high Memory attribute, which will prevent skill decay.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]