Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Leashed War Dogs and Breeding  (Read 1938 times)

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Leashed War Dogs and Breeding
« on: October 24, 2006, 10:39:00 am »

My war dogs stop breeding entirely when I chain/leash them somewhere to guard an area. ALL of them. Even when just one is leashed. I'd suspected something of the sort before, but I tested it this most recent game.

I saved the game, leashed a single war dog (out of ~70), and ran the game a year. No puppies were born, although I had plenty of calves, lambs, and foals. Then I reloaded the save and left the dog unleashed, and ran the game a year. Lots of puppies (and the other animals as well of course).

I'm not sure whether this just applies to war dogs specifically, to war-trained animals in general, or to all tamed animals.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leashed War Dogs and Breeding
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 10:58:00 am »

That's odd.  My dogs are still breeding even though I've got plenty of them leashed throughout my fortress.  Maybe all your dogs are of the same sex by coincidence?

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 11:23:00 am »

Somehow, I doubt that 0.5^69 is a high enough chance for me to even check that possibility  :p

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 01:07:00 pm »

Hmm, this may explain something I've seen.

Once I get to the chasm I tend to start chaining up dogs as sentrys. Usually about a year later I notice a lack of dog breeding. That and my current fort has had two tamed gazelles chained next to each other for over a year with no results. I'll try caging the gazelles.

Although this might no be the problem, as I also have four unicorns caged immedately adjacent to one another (a 2x2 cage set).

Still trying to capture a male giant lion though.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 01:41:00 pm »

Once I get the chance to ask the human caravan for things, I order dogs every year.  A couple new dogs seems to kick start the breeding back into gear when it stalls.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 12:16:00 am »

Maybe the dogs realize they are inbreeding too much and wait for the new blood? :-)

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 04:48:00 pm »

This likely has something to do with upper limits for animals and species.
Some versions ago the maximum number of animals were 200 in the whole fortress, then they stopped breeding. It led to some problems, when after an attack that killed most of them, they didn't start breeding again. Limit was relaxed, but some remains keep cropping up.
I always request a couple of animals from traders as well, this seems to fix the problem.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 03:16:00 pm »

I just tested this with horses - same exact thing happened (except my dogs didn't resume breeding after I unchained the last one  :(). Now I only have sheep, cows, and cats breeding in my fortress.

I guess it's a good method of pet control, though. Tie up one of each type of animal you don't want breeding for a year or so and voila, no new tax... err, animals!

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 03:56:00 pm »

Sheep?

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 11:58:00 am »

Probably added them.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 07:29:00 pm »

The chaining doesn't seem to come up in the code.  There's just a cap at 50 for each type, and the number of young can't exceed the number of adults*3, or something.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 11:34:00 pm »

It might be that the animals that are chained want to breed but can't move, and that freezes the algorythm?

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 03:25:00 am »

There's been a discussion about this going on on the wiki as well.  It is definitely the case that all dogs stop breeding if you chain 1, and ordering dogs from the human caravan (or unchaining all your dogs) will start the rest of the dogs breeding again.  Incidentally, it was tested with other animals too -- the problem is not with dogs, but with chains.
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 12:47:00 pm »

Wait, what would happen if a chained animal gave birth?  Wouldn't the babies just hang around the animal until they're trained, claimed as a pet, or killed?

That'd be kindof...  well, I guess it'd be kindof neat actually, if the animal's chained in a low-traffic area for guard duty, like near the chasm or something.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »

Yeah, I've had good luck with chaining females.  The babies do hang around, milling about.  The dogs never accumulate too much of a crowd, because they get trained as soon as they grow up.  

It works well with horses though.  I chain up the female horses outside, a fair distance away from the entrance.  Each chained female eventually becomes the nucleus of a herd of tame horses.  That keeps the horses out of the way, and outside grazing on grass the way horses should do.  I kind of felt a little guilty stuffing 20 horses into a cage in the zoo, but staking them out outside seems perfectly reasonable.  And if their breeding gets out of control, all the better.  Not only are they food on the hoof, but staked outside like that they will make irresistible targets for besieging archers.  If enemy archers want to waste all their arrows on stray horses, I'm not going to argue with them.

Pages: [1] 2