Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Leashed War Dogs and Breeding  (Read 1989 times)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leashed War Dogs and Breeding
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 11:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Angela Christine:
staked outside like that they will make irresistible targets for besieging archers

Which doesn't make you feel guilty at all.   ;)

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 01:20:00 pm »

Hey, one of my war dogs just gave birth to puppies, like a full year after I started chaining them.  I have not yet purchased any dogs from the humans, although I did buy 3 cows...

A dog that was chained died due to old age recently.  I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Edit: actually I'm not even sure if that dog was chained.  I remember reassigning all my chains to younger dogs recently.

[ November 02, 2006: Message edited by: Frugal ]

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 10:50:00 am »

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but searching didn't result in an answer to my question.

At one place in the wiki (chasm) it says that one restrained dog means no breeding anymore. Is this (still) the case?

Cheers

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 09:17:00 pm »

My answer hasn't changed.  I don't think caging or chaining has anything to do with it, and I've never seen a save that proves otherwise.  My answer above is how it's supposed to work.  Now, the various strange theories I've seen posted make me suspect there's a bug of some kind, but I've tried chaining, and it doesn't stop breeding for me.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 04:23:00 am »

ok thanks. I'll play around with it, and maybe at some point change that entry in the wiki accordingly.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 06:40:06 pm »

Not sure if this has been resolved or whatever, but this has happened to me twice in one fortress (13+ years).  I have a LOT of war dogs, and at some point they totally stopped breeding.  No idea what caused it, but I trained every last dog I owned so that I had something like 1/8 hunting dogs, 7/8 war dogs.  I didn't get a single puppy for an entire year, until one of my marksdwarves who had a few assigned to him died in an attack.  Suddenly, they started breeding again.

Now, several years later, it's happened again to the same save.  This time I do still have some dogs.  It's currently happening in this save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1474

EDIT:  Hmm... now that I've read the thread more carefully, I realize I did chain up a couple dogs and some wolves for guarding/breeding.  I'll try releasing them and see if that fixes it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:00:29 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 08:53:45 pm »

There's a maximum of 50 of any given type of animal on the map at a time. Once you exceed 50 you don't get any more births.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: 1 [2]