Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Self-Analysis: Why Can't I stand it when people get drunk?  (Read 24975 times)

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Analysis: Why Can't I stand it when people get drunk?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 07:34:16 am »

I probably hate alcohol so much because my older sister was an alcoholic and it ruined her life. Light drinking is understandable I guess. But getting drunk I find a kind of insult.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 08:32:38 am »

I think it would be interesting to see what people's reactions would be if the topic were, say, smoking pot and being high instead of being drunk.

Other than some guy you don't know coming up and babbling incoherently to you, and maybe puking on your shoes, I don't see a lot of reason to become hostile to people who are drunk. (Past experiences with abuse, ruined family members, alcoholism, ect... excluded.)

I mention drugs because the same level of preconception and hostility gets directed at them too.

Like I said, short of someone actually imposing on you while drunk (which I admit drunks are kind of wont to do), drunks just are and I think you're right to ask yourself why you feel such hostility toward them. And I'd start by asking yourself what them being drunk makes you believe about them, that they've given you no reason to believe. Because let's be honest. No one except drunks really likes a drunk. It's kind of an embarrassing state for most people to be in. Most people accept that. So in the times and places where being a drunk is acceptable (like at a party), where people are likely to be drinking, what honestly is there to be bothered by?

I mean, don't get me wrong. My mom likes to hit it pretty hard when she comes home for the day and I find it both difficult and kind of infuriating to have a conversation with her, because she misremembers things, is sure she didn't, forgets things we talked about an hour ago, slurs a little....yeah. No one likes that. But it doesn't make me hate getting drunk. It makes me dislike how she handles being drunk.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 11:02:59 am »

@Neonivek

I am the same way, I cannot stand being around drunk people.Trying to communicate with someone who is temporarily mentally-impaired is, to me, the opposite of a good time. Also, they always want to pressure you into drinking, because they want you to be/act as stupid as they are.

It is my personal belief that drinking is dangerous, and that there is no such thing as 'recreational' or 'light' drinking. It's only a matter of time before people slide into needing it to have fun, and things go downhill from there. That being said, people can do whatever they want, I don't care. But I don't put myself in situations where people are drunk.

And this is coming from someone use used to love "to party" and "get wasted".

<soapbox>
When you fall in the trap of thinking drinking = good time, then when you drink and DON'T have a good time, then you drink more because thats what the formula says to do. You end up chasing the memories of the occasional good time you had being drunk. You sit there thinking "I don't understand, why is this not fun anymore, why am I not having fun?" You realize the people you hang out with, you don't really enjoy them, they're just "drinking buddies" . That means you have nothing in common except the ideology that being drunk is fun. I don't think it's worth it. I don't drink anymore.
</soapbox>
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 11:42:10 am »

How about getting someone drunk and have him say the things he usually doesn't say when he's sober? :D

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 12:17:24 pm »

Because you're a party pooper ;D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 03:35:09 pm »

Before military service I didn`t mind somebody consuming alcohol. Now, when I have seen what a drunkard or another addict is capable of doing, and how easy people slide into addiction, I just hate them.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 09:10:57 pm »

Hm...

Well, my only problem with it is that some people when Under The Influence like to act in a way they're not. Me? I don't have a problem with people being intoxicated by a substance, them being around me or myself even doing it(Because, well, I do.). What I do have a problem with is the kind of people that make all people who use these things look like total douche bags. Whenever I'm under the influence of a drug, I can maintain a good sentence and hold a (short) conversation with someone. If I can't, then I generally don't use that substance again unless I'm totally by myself.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 10:18:56 pm »

No one except drunks really likes a drunk.

Untrue. I find the sort of drunk people I hang out with to be absolutely hilarious.

Admittedly, being drunk around other drunk people is a lot more fun than being drunk around other sober people.

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 12:41:37 am »

No one except drunks really likes a drunk.

Untrue. I find the sort of drunk people I hang out with to be absolutely hilarious.

Admittedly, being drunk around other drunk people is a lot more fun than being drunk around other sober people.

Just don't tell that to the designated driver...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 01:09:41 pm »

I've tried quite a few kinds of drinks. the CLOSEST to what I'd possibly like are... mixed drinks? uhhh... whatever melon balls are under.

Though from what I hear it isn't MANLY to drink those kind of drinks... Which I find odd but whatever... Sex divisions are everywhere... why not alcoholic drinks?

Ignore anyone who tells you that a drink isn't manly enough (unless it's wine cooler / alcopop type stuff, which nobody should drink).

I've known several people who claimed in college that they didn't like the taste of alcohol, and now they've all developed a taste for it and admitted that they weren't comfortable with the idea of being drunk.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 05:36:52 pm »

If you don't like the beer or wine you get at bars of college parties you shouldn't think anything of it. That stuff often tastes putrid even to someone who appreciates a good beer or wine...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 05:53:26 pm »

If you don't like the beer or wine you get at bars of college parties you shouldn't think anything of it. That stuff often tastes putrid even to someone who appreciates a good beer or wine...

There really are no parties more boring then alcohol parties if you don't like to get drunk.

Gearskull1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 06:37:09 pm »

People tend to demonize the effects of ethanoyl for what they see in drunken people. People are under the affect of a drug, but still in control. Douchbag attitutes, and most of the things that annoy people about drunks come from the person themself, ethanoyl just allows those qualitys to be more prominent. I like to drink, and I am conucious with my choices when I do so. As is really everyone who drinks. I'm not really a fan of drinking, I just think that alot of the stuff that annoys people about drunks comes from the personalitys and actions of people who are drunks along with the chemical they are ingesting.
Pages: 1 [2]