Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you find out if you have metal in your body for an MRI?  (Read 1348 times)

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
How do you find out if you have metal in your body for an MRI?
« on: February 22, 2024, 06:26:04 pm »

After a follow up appointment with my doctor, because he says it is possible there is soft tissue damage. He wants an MRI.

I went to schedule it and they asked me if I had any metal in my body, a pacemaker, or anything. I was informed that there are strong magnetic fields in an MRI that can erase credit cards, and make metal implants a potential issue. I do not think so but the technician said to be sure beforehand.

I had an inguinal hernia repair with mesh in 2015. Does this or a "plug" used for hernia defect have metal in it or how do I find out? It was not a recurring hernia if that helps. I don't know and this is just "mesh" and a "plug" they put inside me to make sure the hernia was dealt with like 9 years ago or something. Never felt exactly the same but yeah.

I also had a metal rod and screw inserted into my broken arm way back in 1999, that was removed a year later. I physically, externally had the metal rod and screw in like a bag they gave me when they took it out. I don't know where it is now but it is not inside me. How do I make sure they did not leave anything in? I don't think they did but I do not want to find out I am wrong in an MRI. I don't think the surgeon who did the work on my broken arm way back then is still alive. Even if he did, that was like 26 years ago.

Any ideas on how I can find this out to be safe and not end up wrecked when I get the MRI? I don't know. I'm just trying to do what I'm told and being safe. I'm in America if that helps, because different countries have different medical systems and rules.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 06:30:48 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you find out if you have metal in your body for an MRI?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 11:21:39 pm »

I am not an expert. I just googled and looked at 1 of the first search results:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mri-scan/who-can-have-it/
Having something metallic in your body doesn't necessarily mean you can't have an MRI scan, but it's important for medical staff carrying out the scan to be aware of it.

They can decide on a case-by-case basis if there are any risks, or if further measures need to be taken to ensure the scan is as safe as possible.

For example, it may be possible to make a pacemaker or defibrillator MRI-safe, or to monitor your heart rhythm during the procedure.

You may need to have an X-ray if you're unsure about any metal fragments in your body.

My wild guess is that you could try contacting the medical staff and asking them for help. You could also ask if you need an x-ray for the arm.
Max avatar size is 80x80

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 03:17:40 am »

It should be in your clinical notes. Pacemakers and other electronics are the obvious problematic ones as they can malfunction. But make sure they know about any potential implants. Also let them know if you ever did metalworking.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 03:55:22 pm »

My boss just went in for an MRI and they discovered a metal sliver in his thumb even he didn't know about. One would think that stuff would come up on an xray.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 04:51:09 pm »

Do they not run you thru a big metal detector first?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 09:00:33 pm »

They don't run you through a metal detector. Fortunately, nothing seems to have gone crazy in my case, but yeah. I guess one of the many things nobody tells you is that you need to be careful about knowing if there is an y metal in your body. Having done metalworking, yeah.

Keep track of what they put in you and when and stuff and also what they take out. Although I asked the MRI tech this and he said, "You're too young to have non MRI safe implants in you."
I asked him how old would be old enough. He said "50 unless you got it in Mexico or somewhere else." I'd still generally be careful but yeah. At least there's that I suppose.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 11:40:23 pm »

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's positive to hear that the MRI worked out for you.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 07:45:34 pm »

I hope this helps someone else. I know those machines are noisy and honestly something the average person has no real understanding of. I get it and I get how it works, but I don't really get it. Neither do most people. So knowing if you have a metal implant or something is just a thing most people just don't consider. I guess it is just something you need to keep track of that nobody tells you. Or at least they never told me.