Finally... > Life Advice

The Generic Computer Advice Thread

(1/1042) > >>

Bauglir:
We might have one already, but fuck searching through one or more pages of search results. Anyway, a general thread for quick computer questions. This probably isn't the place to go if you have a large, detailed problem or are doing something like building a new computer, but if you have a quick question that's leaving you stuck, that is what I intend this to be used for. This forum seems pretty savvy, and my google-fu is too weak to solve some of my own questions, so I thought I'd mooch off you guys.

Warning: I will probably not maintain this thread, at all. It is entirely possible that I will forget it exists. I'll do what I can, though, if it ever becomes necessary.

Anyway, my question is this. Sometimes, if I navigate to the address of a jpg, Firefox will insist upon opening an "Open with..." window sort of thing where it'll ask me to choose a program or just to save it to my hard drive. I want it to stop doing this, and just display the damn image as it does with most image locations. How do I make this happen? What information do I need to post, if the solution is not immediately obvious? Firefox 5.0, up to date, running on 64-bit Windows 7 Professional.

Stargrasper:
I've been using Chromium lately, but I can take a look.  Are you saying it loads some images within Firefox but not others?  What file formats does it ask you about?  Is it actually set to load images automatically in settings?

YouR_DooM:
'Sup, I'll use this thread too :D

I'm normally a very computer savy person and manage to fix even the most annoying bugs, but today I just can't wrap my head around it.

Here is the current status quo: I just opened MSN and Windows Live Mail and here is what presented itself to me. EVERYTHING ELSE works fine. Just these two windows are all washed up. Maybe something with the AERO stuff went haywire? Also note how in pic two the tool bar is perfectly fine...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The incredible thing is that when I mouse over something, the effect goes slightly away and then slowly comes back. I have really no idea what's going on.

EDIT: Installed both again, nothing changes; updated AMD catalyst video drivers to 11.8, still nothing.

ed boy:
I have two laptops, A and B. I also have two mice, 1 and 2. Originally, Laptop A had mouse 1 plugged into it, and laptop B had mouse 2 plugged into it. This worked fine for several months.

A couple of weeks ago, however, mouse 1 started becoming intermittent. I would hear the "USB item unplugged" noise, the light on the mouse would go off, and it would stop working. About a second later, The light would come on and it would start working. This would repeat every few seconds, even though the mouse remained plugged in the whole time. This would continue to happen when I changed what USB socket the mouse was plugged into. I managed to find a short term solution by plugging the mouse most but not all of the way in.

I wanted to see if it was to mouse or the laptop that was at fault, so I switched the mice between the two laptops. Laptop A worked fine with mouse 2, but Laptop B was having similar problems with mouse 1. I determined that the mouse was at fault, and chucked it out. That was a week ago.

However, in the past couple days I have noticed similar problems (although to a much lesser degree) when using mouse 2 with laptop A. Is it just coincidence, or is it possible the Laptop A is somehow damaging the mice?

Stargrasper:

--- Quote from: YouR_DooM on July 31, 2011, 06:15:50 am ---'Sup, I'll use this thread too :D

I'm normally a very computer savy person and manage to fix even the most annoying bugs, but today I just can't wrap my head around it.

Here is the current status quo: I just opened MSN and Windows Live Mail and here is what presented itself to me. EVERYTHING ELSE works fine. Just these two windows are all washed up. Maybe something with the AERO stuff went haywire? Also note how in pic two the tool bar is perfectly fine...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The incredible thing is that when I mouse over something, the effect goes slightly away and then slowly comes back. I have really no idea what's going on.

EDIT: Installed both again, nothing changes; updated AMD catalyst video drivers to 11.8, still nothing.

--- End quote ---

It looks to me like Windows is failing to completely load the programs.  You've already re-installed the programs and updated video drivers.  I'm assuming you rebooted the machine a half dozen times doing the above.  I'm also going to assume you've installed the correct graphics drivers.  You might want to check that one, though.

Since you seem to have been doing things right, I'm going to suggest you disable Aero for a moment and then try the programs.  To do this, go to Control Panel / Personalization and scroll down the list to basic themes.  Select one of those (which don't use Aero) and try the programs.  Let us know if that fixes things.

--- Quote from: ed boy on July 31, 2011, 07:27:42 am ---I have two laptops, A and B. I also have two mice, 1 and 2. Originally, Laptop A had mouse 1 plugged into it, and laptop B had mouse 2 plugged into it. This worked fine for several months.

A couple of weeks ago, however, mouse 1 started becoming intermittent. I would hear the "USB item unplugged" noise, the light on the mouse would go off, and it would stop working. About a second later, The light would come on and it would start working. This would repeat every few seconds, even though the mouse remained plugged in the whole time. This would continue to happen when I changed what USB socket the mouse was plugged into. I managed to find a short term solution by plugging the mouse most but not all of the way in.

I wanted to see if it was to mouse or the laptop that was at fault, so I switched the mice between the two laptops. Laptop A worked fine with mouse 2, but Laptop B was having similar problems with mouse 1. I determined that the mouse was at fault, and chucked it out. That was a week ago.

However, in the past couple days I have noticed similar problems (although to a much lesser degree) when using mouse 2 with laptop A. Is it just coincidence, or is it possible the Laptop A is somehow damaging the mice?

--- End quote ---

It's possible the laptop is frying mice.  Do other usb devices work alright in the machine?  Make sure the computer has the latest device drivers.  Make sure there's nothing wrong with the usb ports.  How old are the mice?  How do you use them?  This just feels like a broken wire in the connection problem that would result from worn or misused hardware.

Unplug all usb devices.  Go to Control Panel / Device Manager and remove all instances of the hardware in question and reboot.  Windows should re-install the hardware devices.

~~~

I'm going to do a little more searching for both of your problems.  I'm not happy with either solution, but this was what my intuition and a 30 minute google search came up with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version