Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494823 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1515 on: March 01, 2015, 01:46:59 am »

Alternatively buy yourself a can of compressed air, open the laptop up,  and give it a good blowing out (note, hold the compressed air can vertically right side up, else you can spray liquid air on your computer and damage it). Lots of times the heat problem is just from the accumulation of dust which when cleaned out fixes the problem.

Also while disassembling your computer sounds scary, it's remarkably easy to do. Just make sure you have a set of small screwdrivers, a clean table to work on (and possibly something to hold the small screws) and then follow the instructions here until you feel you've disassembled it enough to get all the dust out.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: March 01, 2015, 03:44:57 am »

Also, be very careful with the case so that you don't pull any ribbon cables off the motherboard. Some of them are a real bitch to get re-connected.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1517 on: March 01, 2015, 08:14:54 am »

So. I have a laptop which is the cheapest thing one step above a netbook, but is probably slower than most modern netbooks.

Pertinently, it has 2GB of RAM. This means that running Windows 7, Firefox, MS Word and MS PowerPoint all at the same time is enough to reduce it to continual freezing. Task manager informs me that I'm near-constantly at max RAM usage and almost never above 50% CPU; with nothing running except all the standard Windows processes, it's at over 50% RAM usage.

I assume at this point another gigabyte or two of RAM will be useful? It's a 64 bit system, so it can certainly address that much.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: March 01, 2015, 08:38:50 am »

The more important question would be can it change the RAM in the first place?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1519 on: March 01, 2015, 09:01:19 am »

I have an easily accessible empty RAM slot. It's just a question of getting the right type of RAM (I'm pretty sure I can do that) and if the RAM will actually help. I'm pretty sure it would, but I thought I'd check before sinking a few hundred currencies into another gig or two.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: March 01, 2015, 10:33:57 am »

It certainly would help it not be frozen, I'm pretty sure most laptops have at least 4gb for that reason.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: March 01, 2015, 10:43:58 am »

some laptops double as space heaters.  I had an amd athlon based one a few years back that could probably be used to bake cookies with the right attachment.

using an aftermarket cooling pad can help tremendously.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: March 01, 2015, 08:57:52 pm »

I have an easily accessible empty RAM slot. It's just a question of getting the right type of RAM (I'm pretty sure I can do that) and if the RAM will actually help. I'm pretty sure it would, but I thought I'd check before sinking a few hundred currencies into another gig or two.

By all means, stick another 2 gig stick in. Or a 4 gig, or whatever you can afford. Not doing so means your computer is probably using bits of the hard drive as psuedo-RAM (which would cause the freezes), and that's not very good for disk life, as well as being slow. Nowadays, I'd say 4 gigs is probably the minimum, if not for operating at all, then for operating well. More RAM will increase performance further (to a point), but 4 is serviceable.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: March 01, 2015, 09:10:41 pm »

windows ALWAYS uses swap, even when ram is free. (linux wont, and IIRC, OSX wont either, as long as sufficient ram is available and the swappiness value is set sanely.)

The only way to keep it from happening is to put gobs and gobs of ram in, then actually disable the swapfile completely.  Windows will complain mightily if you do, but that's what you have to do.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: March 01, 2015, 10:44:30 pm »

Some games wil also crash without warning if you disable Swap, on top of the mighty complaining of windows.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: March 02, 2015, 12:26:59 am »

Speaking of spaceheater laptops, mine reached the 99ºC point today without shutting down, but had it gone up just one more degree, my computer thinks it's a great idea to blackout; if I didn't monitor the core temperature via Afterburner, it would be without warning.
The thing is it reaches the 100ºC mark almost every time I use it. That's the temperature water boils. And simply running something small, Windows Media Player comes to mind, as do DF, Team Fortress 2, Civ V, Minecraft, Spider solitare, etc. will increase it's temperature from 60º to 80-101º.

I've asked my dad for help opening the case to blow out the fan, but he hasn't responded positively to the request yet. Nor do I have access to compressed air, and the computer doesn't even start the fan until it reaches 90º.

I've even tried using power-settings to limit my CPU's processing speed to about 40%, and while it delays the overheating by a minute or two, it actually seems to be the GPU producing most of the heat and other problems; I can't access it to slow it down through control panel.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: March 02, 2015, 12:44:44 am »

What's the GPU? NVIDIA GPU's with Optimus should let you set it up so programs use only the integrated GPU. AMD GPU's might have something similar, but I don't really know anything about them.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1527 on: March 02, 2015, 04:14:54 am »

Quick software question: Does anyone use Icedragon as a browser? I started using it as an alternative to Firefox a while back, but now I'm starting to get warnings on web sites that my browser is out of date. I have frequent glitches with flash, especially on Youtube. I checked the updates for the browser and it says it's up to date. Does anyone know if it's going to be updated anymore, or will I have to abandon it and go back to Firefox?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: March 02, 2015, 04:30:51 am »

Speaking of spaceheater laptops, mine reached the 99ºC point today without shutting down, but had it gone up just one more degree, my computer thinks it's a great idea to blackout; if I didn't monitor the core temperature via Afterburner, it would be without warning.
The thing is it reaches the 100ºC mark almost every time I use it. That's the temperature water boils. And simply running something small, Windows Media Player comes to mind, as do DF, Team Fortress 2, Civ V, Minecraft, Spider solitare, etc. will increase it's temperature from 60º to 80-101º.

I've asked my dad for help opening the case to blow out the fan, but he hasn't responded positively to the request yet. Nor do I have access to compressed air, and the computer doesn't even start the fan until it reaches 90º.

I've even tried using power-settings to limit my CPU's processing speed to about 40%, and while it delays the overheating by a minute or two, it actually seems to be the GPU producing most of the heat and other problems; I can't access it to slow it down through control panel.
Is it a dell laptop? A friend of mine had a dell where the thermal paste kinda dried up and became less effective after a couple years of use and over the course of a couple months it went from "runs really hot" to "overheats and shuts down shortly after loading windows". It was really dusty, but only replacing thermal paste solved the issue. Towards the end before we tried new thermal paste, he was running it with the bottom of the case off, propped up with a desk fan for cooling.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: March 02, 2015, 04:37:29 am »

the computer doesn't even start the fan until it reaches 90º.

That's not great. Try checking the bios settings to see what temperature the fan is set to run at, or even disable fan speed control altogether (which should make it run at full power all the time).
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 348