Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494891 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #2805 on: June 16, 2016, 11:22:15 am »

Get a Samsung black-only laser printer. They're pretty much bomb-proof from a reliability standpoint. Ask it to print and it does.

Mine is fairly new Samsung black laser printer. The older one broke its heater, a part that costs more than the printer and requires a complete tear down. The new one does what I posted above. I want to print double sided, which it cannot do on its own, so feeding it becomes the thing to do.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: June 16, 2016, 11:27:22 am »

Print one page at a time, flip the paper over in between pages.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: June 16, 2016, 11:30:10 am »

You print manual double-sided like this:
First print all even pages, in reverse order
Take the entire stack and reinsert into the printer
(typically blank side up with the top of the page going in to the printer first)
Print only odd pages
Done
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:44:56 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: June 16, 2016, 12:25:07 pm »

You print manual double-sided like this:
First print all even pages, in reverse order
Take the entire stack and reinsert into the printer
(typically blank side up with the top of the page going in to the printer first)
Print only odd pages
Done

Yes and hope it doesn't grab two pages at once, throwing everything off. Feeding it one page leads to error messages if you don't feed it within 5 seconds. SO bad times all around when things go wrong. Then my computer has to be rebooted because the printer driver is confused. You would think 30 years or more of personal computing and printing would have this figured out, but no.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: June 16, 2016, 01:56:48 pm »

The computer probably knows what you want it to do, the non-doublesided printer is just there to invoke confusion and annoyance on everything its plugged into.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: June 16, 2016, 02:54:01 pm »

Here's what we did at one point before we got a two-sided printer:
Print only page 1, nothing else.
Flip paper over.
Print only page 2.
Insert new paper.
Repeat until out of pages to print.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: June 16, 2016, 04:25:39 pm »

I still do that. Here's what I used to do before then. Feed holes on paper into pegs. Printer feeds itself. Tear off perforated pieces. I think it jammed less than it does now.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2812 on: June 16, 2016, 04:46:02 pm »

Get a big roll of paper and scissors.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: June 18, 2016, 02:06:37 am »

I'm having a slight annoyance with my machine. It's not really a problem, but whenever I open or close an HD video, even in windowed mode, my monitor behaves as if the resolution has changed - turns black for a second and then returns to normal. Similar behavior happens when I load a full-screen program even when the desktop and program are set to the same resolution. The only explanation I can come up with is that there is a refresh rate difference between my desktop and everything else, but I have no idea where to look for such a thing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: June 18, 2016, 02:16:13 am »

Are the HD videos copy-protected? If so it could be HDCP engaging.

As for fullscreen applications... it could be 59.9 (traditional NTSC) vs true 60 Hz, or it could just be how your graphics card reacts to an application entering full-screen. Your computer's resolution settings should include refresh rate somewhere.

There are issues with true fullscreen mode anyway and have been for years, so a lot of recent games offer a "borderless fullscreen windowed" mode which doesn't use native fullscreen, which avoids issues like this.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:18:06 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: June 18, 2016, 02:20:49 am »

Are the HD videos copy-protected? If so it could be HDCP engaging.

As for fullscreen applications... it could be 59.9 (traditional NTSC) vs true 60 Hz, or it could just be how your graphics card reacts to an application entering full-screen. Your computer's resolution settings should include refresh rate somewhere.

There are issues with true fullscreen mode anyway and have been for years, so a lot of recent games offer a "borderless fullscreen windowed" mode which doesn't use native fullscreen, which avoids issues like this.

The videos are not copy-protected.

I know how to get to the refresh rate, but there's only one setting, while I suspect that my desktop is at a different refresh rate from what applications are using (which could also explain why the videos even in windowed mode - the media player decides the video needs a different refresh rate to play that file).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: June 25, 2016, 02:04:33 am »

I have about $250 that I plan on spending on a new processor for dwarf fortress. I currently have an AMD shitter, FM2 socket. I'm really only buying this so I can play Dwarf Fortress reliably.

I was recording a siege, and this happened. Then it crashed once more after at the end of worldgen. I'm over it, I need a solid CPU PLEASE! Shoot me suggestions
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: June 25, 2016, 09:04:12 am »

So I'm in a bit of a problem. I was getting errors when I tried to update my video drivers, so I decided to uninstall and install an up-to-date one.  Problem is... absolutely every single driver I try installing just throw an unknown error and fails to install.  System rewire is on the same boat. Card is an AMD R9 200 series. What do?

EDIT: Somehow managed to install a rather old driver that was lying around in my hd. Still got no idea why the above even happened. Still can't update the damn thing.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:50:48 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: June 25, 2016, 01:21:00 pm »

I have about $250 that I plan on spending on a new processor for dwarf fortress. I currently have an AMD shitter, FM2 socket. I'm really only buying this so I can play Dwarf Fortress reliably.

I was recording a siege, and this happened. Then it crashed once more after at the end of worldgen. I'm over it, I need a solid CPU PLEASE! Shoot me suggestions

Dwarf Fortress does have its fair share of crashes. And, if it's not DF's fault, it's more likely to be a RAM issue than CPU. CPU issues tend to cause the whole PC to lock up, rather than crash one program.

I'd try running memtest and seeing whether it detects ram issues, and whether pulling ram sticks stops it again. If so, you've found the bad stick!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: June 26, 2016, 12:56:45 pm »

Found a copy of Silent Hunter 3 at work earlier this week for cheap, and after the mandatory 48-hour waiting period before employees are allowed to buy stuff(we get a discount, though), and being absolutely amazed nobody else bought it, I got it for myself.

The problem is, it does not run on Windows 7. I've looked it up, and it's apparently caused by 3rd-party DRM(in addition to the DRM that Ubisoft tried to force on me during install - hahahano) called StarForce. Apparently it's possible to remove it, and then apply a no-cd crack to make sure the game disc does not reinstall it. While I'm not opposed to removing DRM from a game I goddamned paid for(especially if it makes the game not even work) - plus the issue of the disc constantly spinning during play, possibly exploding which has happened to people - I'm not sure I 100% trust the methods used.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 348