Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 495080 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #2820 on: June 26, 2016, 02:21:00 pm »

DRM only hurts the legit buyers. Search for the removers and find the ones most recently dated.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: June 26, 2016, 05:20:33 pm »

Alright, it seems the no-cd crack allowed it to work. Oddly, the remover for StarForce never actually found it, before or after reinstalling it. Ended up botching the torpedo tutorial, as out four torpedo shots on a single ship, one missed and the other three bounced off(one of them nearly exploded on top of me).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: June 26, 2016, 08:29:52 pm »

Happens. Probably... Don't think I've ever had four bugger up in quick succession, but ah well... I did have the air defense mission bugger up with one of the massive mods, kept getting my bottom handed to me :))

Good game though. Don't think I've played it beyond 1941 though...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: June 26, 2016, 09:52:15 pm »

In SH3 you can always get a perfect solution from your torpedo officer. That's a really good way of figuring out how you're wrong instead of just trying to guess that "well, my torpedo missed forward, so I must have got my speed wrong, or maybe the angle on bow?"
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: June 27, 2016, 03:32:22 am »

Alright, it seems the no-cd crack allowed it to work. Oddly, the remover for StarForce never actually found it, before or after reinstalling it.

Starforce is probably missing because it failed to install, which would also explain why it doesn't work. I'm guessing it uses a 32-bit driver or kernel component, and you're running 64-bit Windows.

Get used to this if you like old games.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: June 27, 2016, 09:08:28 am »

Starforce failing to install is probably the best thing 64 bit systems gave us.
Starforce has a thing for damaging drivers and causing system instability so it's a good thing it didn't install at all and using a no-cd crack to play a game you own is fair game as far as i'm concerned.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: June 27, 2016, 12:26:40 pm »

Starforce failing to install is probably the best thing 64 bit systems gave us.
Starforce has a thing for damaging drivers and causing system instability so it's a good thing it didn't install at all and using a no-cd crack to play a game you own is fair game as far as i'm concerned.

+1

I have a library of older games I find it quite difficult to play now because of the DRM.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: June 28, 2016, 04:53:55 am »

Broken tip of audio jack got stuck inside the computer. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: June 28, 2016, 05:04:42 am »

If it's just the very tip, after where it narrows, you're probably screwed. it's designed to lock in. If it's more than that you may be able to grab it with narrow pliers. You might be able to push it out from the back of the socket if you disassemble your computer, but it depends on the socket.

Either way I'd advise taking it to a repair shop and stop using such cheap headphones.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: June 28, 2016, 05:07:35 am »

Welp, it was just the tip. Thanks for the advice

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: June 30, 2016, 10:00:09 am »

I recently started having some computer problems.

Basically, I switch it on. it powers up, fans spinning, hard disk spinning.
But on the screen, black. not even BIOS, POST or whatever the first things appearing on the screen are.
Usually after many tries it actually manages to start up properly, but I haven't managed to find any common fact between those successful attempts.

I tried changing the screen, changing the power socket the computer is attached to, changing the video cable, removing GPU and linking video cable directly to motherboard, moved RAM, cleaned connectors and nothing helps. It  is  not overheating, I checked temperature when I managed to switch it on, but it was quite cool. This problem happens only at startup, after that computer runs fine.

motherboard gives no beeps. Like, at all. I suspect the speaker is not installed.

What should I do? I was thinking about resetting the BIOS , but this is starting to reach uncharted territory for me. it seems dangerous.

Last time the computer refused to switch on like this it was because I had linked power spply to CPU fan but not CPU itself. the intermittent nature of this problem and the fact it works fine after startup seems to rule out processor problems , in my ignorant opinion. But still, any safe way to check if CPU is running?

Any idea on possible causes and possible fixes?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: June 30, 2016, 10:20:19 am »

Last time I encountered this (recently!) I tracked it down to either the new ram I was installing or the wifi card or some kind of compatibility issue between the two. Removing one or the other seemed to allow it to boot. Either way it was a hardware issue. I abandoned the ram upgrade, and have plans to replace the wifi card too (with an identical spare I coincidentally had).

It didn't beep at all when it failed, it just turned on with the fans at max power and did nothing else.

If you're not even getting a beep when you boot successfully, I would suggest getting a little PC speaker off eBay and plugging it in, to see if you are getting a beep code when it fails.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: June 30, 2016, 10:44:20 am »

that PC speker seems a good idea, thanks.

some kind of compatibility issue was my guess too, but the oly component I replaced was the power supply months ago. So, I guess I am looking for something which broke.
hm. I have a broken USB connector I am no longer using. I wonder if it somehow became broken enough to confuse otherboard, despite not touching it? I'll try removing.

by the way, I am talking about a desktop. I have great access to components, thankfully.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: July 01, 2016, 10:16:45 am »

Some motherboards send beeps through the plugged in speakers, and some blink the power lights in a pattern to match the beeps. Are either of these the case?

Also try swapping out the ram if you have a spare. They tend to act funky for no raisin.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: July 01, 2016, 11:18:26 am »

Need to keep up that supply of raisin, then /crap

Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 348