Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 495071 times)

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #2850 on: July 06, 2016, 03:10:05 am »

Hello, I'm hoping this would fit into this topic.
I've currently got a i7 2600k CPU and it's the oldest thing in my computer aside from the motherboard.
Aside from music/other media I really only use my PC for gaming, Dwarf Fortress being my main interest.
I'm hoping someone can shed light on a new CPU (or one coming out soon) that would benefit me

Any CPU worth upgrading to will require a new motherboard, so you'd want a Skylake chip. This, plus motherboard and RAM, would cost you in the $5-600 range. If all you're running is DF I doubt it's worthwhile - DF remains a single-thread game for the most part, and the Skylake equivalent of what you have is not that much faster in single-thread performance. For other games, particularly modern AAA titles, the multi-thread performance would be a major boost (I have a non-K Skylake i5 that trounces my friend's i7 of similar vintage to yours), but that's an entirely different question.

I do play other video games, GTA5, The Witcher & Cityskylines would the most recent. Would a Broadwell do nothing for DF ?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2851 on: July 06, 2016, 07:31:28 am »

Is the MSI GE72 6QE Apache Pro good for a gaming laptop?

I was given one as an early 18th birthday present and I wish to know how good it is. I haven't even unboxed it yet and I am super hyped.

In particular, how well would it run:
 Total War: Rome 2
 Rise and Fall: Civilisations at War
 Warframe
 Dwarf Fortress
 Interstellar Marines
 CoD (MW 1, 2, 3, BO2)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 07:36:05 am by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: July 06, 2016, 10:10:27 am »

I didn't actually buy the one I linked. I did go for one with 80+ certification after doing a bit more research.

Partially because it had the cabling I needed, and partially because of the review that was given.

I wound up getting this one instead.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16817139026

Seems like it would work out fine.

Yeah that's a decent PSU.

I was given one as an early 18th birthday present and I wish to know how good it is. I haven't even unboxed it yet and I am super hyped.

Warframe
 Dwarf Fortress
 Interstellar Marines
 CoD (MW 1, 2, 3, BO2)

Try it and let us know!

More helpfully -

Jesus Christ that's an expensive laptop

ahem.

The CPU is more than powerful enough for almost everything (as almost every CPU is now). The GPU is ~15% below a desktop GTX 960 in performance, so if you look up benchmarks of those games on a GTX 960 you should get a rough idea.

It's damn good for a laptop.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:32:31 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: July 06, 2016, 12:01:23 pm »

Hello, I'm hoping this would fit into this topic.
I've currently got a i7 2600k CPU and it's the oldest thing in my computer aside from the motherboard.
Aside from music/other media I really only use my PC for gaming, Dwarf Fortress being my main interest.
I'm hoping someone can shed light on a new CPU (or one coming out soon) that would benefit me

Any CPU worth upgrading to will require a new motherboard, so you'd want a Skylake chip. This, plus motherboard and RAM, would cost you in the $5-600 range. If all you're running is DF I doubt it's worthwhile - DF remains a single-thread game for the most part, and the Skylake equivalent of what you have is not that much faster in single-thread performance. For other games, particularly modern AAA titles, the multi-thread performance would be a major boost (I have a non-K Skylake i5 that trounces my friend's i7 of similar vintage to yours), but that's an entirely different question.

I do play other video games, GTA5, The Witcher & Cityskylines would the most recent. Would a Broadwell do nothing for DF ?

For those, you'll get a very noticeable improvement in performance with a new chip, but there is no reason to buy a Broadwell.

Broadwell is an outdated architecture, and will generally be more expensive for lower performance. There are a few Broadwell-E chips that are more powerful than the best Skylake chips on the market right now - they have more cores, slightly worse single-thread performance, cost a thousand dollars, and still need a new motherboard. If you're playing modern AAA games, get a nice Skylake - a top-end i5 with a good motherboard and 12 gigs of RAM will set you back less than $500, and getting a high-end i7 (DF is one of the few games where this would actually be worthwhile, as it relies heavily on single-thread performance) wouldn't bump you up past 600. You'd probably be able to keep your existing PSU, as the much newer architecture than you have provides drastically reduced power usage.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: July 06, 2016, 12:24:03 pm »

Warframe
 Dwarf Fortress
 Interstellar Marines
 CoD (MW 1, 2, 3, BO2)

It's fine. It'll run ARK, Fallout 4, and other modern games at around medium settings.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2855 on: July 07, 2016, 01:47:25 am »

So far I've tested War Thunder - all settings at maximum - solid 30 FPS with ten planes all shooting at and missing me. no fluctuation, find out later I have my framerate capped at 30. Good enough for me.

Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: July 07, 2016, 09:45:08 pm »

Just a question regarding browsers (Firefox specifically)...

When I open up my bookmark folders on the bookmarks bar, the text appears yellow.
The text for tabs, and the text of the actual folders and stuff on the bookmarks bar is fine, though.
The audio icon is yellow, too.

I've already tried refreshing the browser.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: July 07, 2016, 10:07:32 pm »

So, I've been looking around for a new laptop, and for various reasons it presently looks like my best option is the ASUS K501UX, since I'd like to be able to run games at least somewhat in addition to standard portable computational engine tasks like writing and browsing.

Just sorta looking for a general opinion on the machine, I've seen a variety of positive and negative reviews and felt that asking here was a good idea.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: July 07, 2016, 11:48:28 pm »

ASUS tends to drop support for their devices very quickly. They also tend to use the barest minimum spec power plug for their laptops, usually leading to easy breakage. Their turnaround for repairs is slow and you may end up with other things broken in the process. I would buy a low end device from them but not anything more than $500-600.

The 950M is not great and 2gb vram is shit. Add $100 to that price, find a 960 with 4gb vram, and pick a different company. Toshiba's are okay. Lenovo is pretty good. I'm fairly happy with my Y700.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: July 08, 2016, 12:14:48 am »

I've found used-very good ones on Amazon for 656$. Thanks for the information, this seems useful to know. :V

Edit: Any particular machines that would be recommended?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:03:31 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: July 08, 2016, 01:09:38 am »

Also don't discount AMD, their laptop chips are brilliant if you're on a budget and their GPU switching works so much better than an Intel/nVidia combo.

My HP Pavilion 15" with an A6 quad CPU and R7 m260 GPU only cost me £215 (including delivery!). You can't even get a laptop with an nVidia at that price!

I wouldn't necessarily recommend that exact laptop, it's about the lowest spec dedicated GPU you can get, but it's definitely worth checking benchmarks for whatever AMD you can get at the price you're after.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: July 08, 2016, 02:16:21 am »

I have a fairly wide potential price range, but I'd rather keep it fairly low, and am, at least to a degree, more interested in portability and durability than gaming performance. I'd like to be able to run modern things, but it doesn't need to be at especially high settings or framerates.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: July 08, 2016, 04:21:27 am »

Durability's not great on any modern laptop...

You definitely want to swap out the hdd for an ssd though if you're going to be carting it around, hdds are so fragile and hate the slightest movement or bump and ssds just don't care.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: July 08, 2016, 04:27:23 am »

Oh, certainly. All the options I've seriously considered have had SSDs.

As for durability, I mean, there are 3500$ laptops with ballistic armor cases and operational ranges from -75 to 50 degrees c in a sandstorm, while being dropped a meter and a half onto concrete, but that's a little outside my search terms.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: July 08, 2016, 04:29:29 am »

For me it was far cheaper to install the SSD myself rather than get a laptop with one built-in.

I also upgraded the ram and wifi card with parts I already had, so it's now pretty tricked-out :)
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 348