Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 495121 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #2865 on: July 08, 2016, 06:52:05 am »

Just a question regarding browsers (Firefox specifically)...

When I open up my bookmark folders on the bookmarks bar, the text appears yellow.
The text for tabs, and the text of the actual folders and stuff on the bookmarks bar is fine, though.
The audio icon is yellow, too.

I've already tried refreshing the browser.
Out of curiosity, do you play Aurora? I've encountered that before myself, but only under certain circumstances relating to Aurora being open in some states or being closed improperly (and solvable by closing the browser out). I looked into it for a while but couldn't find an explanation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: July 08, 2016, 08:21:58 am »

When I open up my bookmark folders on the bookmarks bar, the text appears yellow.
The text for tabs, and the text of the actual folders and stuff on the bookmarks bar is fine, though.

Out of curiosity, do you play Aurora? I've encountered that before myself, but only under certain circumstances relating to Aurora being open in some states or being closed improperly (and solvable by closing the browser out). I looked into it for a while but couldn't find an explanation.
Nuts... I tried playing Aurora once... But I kind of closed the browser window thing for that game...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: July 08, 2016, 10:11:34 am »

Oh, certainly. All the options I've seriously considered have had SSDs.

As for durability, I mean, there are 3500$ laptops with ballistic armor cases and operational ranges from -75 to 50 degrees c in a sandstorm, while being dropped a meter and a half onto concrete, but that's a little outside my search terms.

ThinkPads are still very durable. HP and Dell/Alienware are still garbage. For new games you will often have to wait for patches to fix AMD R7 issues. I rarely hear about new games having issues with newer nvidia's.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #2868 on: July 08, 2016, 01:01:19 pm »

My keyboard was puked on by my cat so i pulled out a old keyboard to replace it, a microsoft wireless comfort keyboard 5000 (much out of dateness).
Well a random key is getting pressed and throwing my to the top of pages and to the beginning of text, the linux terminal visually identifies it as ''^[OH''
This is on a Toshiba Satelite C55-B5300 running windows 8.1
Any assistance?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: July 08, 2016, 09:56:39 pm »

My keyboard was puked on by my cat so i pulled out a old keyboard to replace it, a microsoft wireless comfort keyboard 5000 (much out of dateness).
Well a random key is getting pressed and throwing my to the top of pages and to the beginning of text, the linux terminal visually identifies it as ''^[OH''
This is on a Toshiba Satelite C55-B5300 running windows 8.1
Any assistance?
When the power is off (or on if you feel daring, heh), rub your finger across the keys a few times, pressing each of them down.  That'll often unstick a stuck key.   If it keeps happening, you can do it key by key to try to identify which one it is, and !!carefully!! pull off the keycap and clean it.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: July 08, 2016, 10:05:20 pm »

Having done some more looking around, it really does look like the ASUS k501 is about what I want for my purposes, though the power supply issue is worrying. Is that just an issue with the external cables, or is there a notable internal problem?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: July 08, 2016, 10:21:02 pm »

Nuts... I tried playing Aurora once... But I kind of closed the browser window thing for that game...
That wouldn't be it, it doesn't persist past closing the browser. And it's not directly related to the game, but to Firefox. Every report I've ever seen is that it seems to self-correct, and nobody really knows what causes it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: July 09, 2016, 07:27:27 am »

I'm looking for a light weight laptop, 1kg tops, that can play DF decently. FPS death will occur no matter what computer you have it seems, but I would be interested in something that equals or is better than a 4790K.

I know MacBook Air is a candidate, but has anyone tried DF on one?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: July 09, 2016, 10:13:52 am »

And now i'm looking for a program that could limit the use of my bandwidth again because chrome seems to be all to happy about overdrawing on my upload rate and causing the entire home wifi network to crash and burn.
I used NetBalancer for a time but it was a trial based program and things went to hell the moment it ended and the full version is $50.
So i changed to NetLimiter4 and it worked fine so far cept it's a trial as well and i have 6 days to go and while it'sn ot as expensive i don't think it's worth $30 for me.
I failed to see any free alternatives...
So i tried torrents... no dice there as well. Only layers upon layers of ads, malware and scams.

All i need is a free way to limit Chromes (or some other browsers i can use for youtube uploading) upload rate...
Any ideas anyone?

EDIT: Problem solved, The Chrome devtools actually have throttling. It's a bit annoying to remember about putting the bottleneck up but it works.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:28:11 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2874 on: July 10, 2016, 03:57:05 am »

Tablet Question: My mother bought a Windows tablet a couple of years ago. Setting aside the immense stupidity that went into such a purchase, it is too late now, and she keeps asking me for help. She has an odd issue with not being able to connect to wifi using a normal password. Her tablet always prompts her to enter the PIN which is printed on the modem itself. Visiting me, I can give her that, but in many places with free wifi the people working there are like "idunno" and she can't use the wifi.

Anyone know if there's some setting in her tablet which is causing this to happen? Can she change it to take the normal password instead of the PIN? I've tried Googling and although there are many, many pages of people having trouble getting Windows Surface to connect to wifi, I haven't seen this particular issue anywhere. Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I figured it out. Under the thing asking for the PIN is a link saying "connect using a security key instead" and that takes the password. It was still having trouble connecting, but that seems to be due to it not picking up the signal very well - it seems to have a terribly shitty antenna or something. Looks like it's working now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 04:06:03 am by Sappho »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: July 10, 2016, 10:31:34 am »

This isn't really a computer question as much as an app question, but I've been unable to solve by Google, so here I am.

I've been attempting to use the Kindle app on my phone (Android), but I can't bring up the menu or anything while I'm in a book.  I can only flip pages and follow any hypertext.

Anybody know how to fix this?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: July 10, 2016, 11:14:02 am »

Swipe from the top or bottom of the screen should bring the menus back.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: July 11, 2016, 02:14:22 am »

On mine I just have to tap anywhere up the middle...
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: July 12, 2016, 08:12:47 am »

My brother's thinking of getting a Macbook of some kind for college, given that he's had a poor experience with Dell and Toshiba laptops (they've all broken within only a few weeks of arrival).

Which ones would you recommend?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: July 12, 2016, 08:17:02 am »

I personally wouldn't. He'd just end up with a broken more expensive laptop.

What does he do to laptops to break them so fast?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 348