Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494794 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3285 on: March 18, 2017, 05:10:02 am »

If it happens at reliable moments in time, see if it is accessing the internet, and if so, what is doing it. Spying on it with wireshark on another computer will help you with that.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: March 18, 2017, 02:49:27 pm »

You can also set up Glasswire on the computer that's acting up, which will record which processes are using the internet and when.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: March 20, 2017, 08:28:19 am »

An issue just happened with my computer:

this morning, after shutdowning my computer due to a freezing and rebooting it, after a while, a BSOD happens, indicating "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" as cause.

This issue happens everytime I use the normal mode: a BSOD happens after a while.

I ran Malwarebytes, Windows Memory Diagnostic and the following script to detect harddisk issues:
Code: [Select]
@echo off
wmic diskdrive get status
date /t
time /t

No issue was found.

System Restore fails each times I try it.

The BSODs doesn't happen in Safe Mode, so it must be something related to the software.

Below is the log I get after each BSOD; I tried to translate the relevant parts:
Problem signature:
  Nom d’événement de problème: BlueScreen
  Version du système: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Identificateur de paramètres régionaux: 1036

Informations supplémentaires sur le problème :
  BCCode: a
  BCP1: 00000016
  BCP2: 00000002
  BCP3: 00000000
  BCP4: 82E8DAE8
  OS Version: 6_1_7601
  Service Pack: 1_0
  Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem :
  C:\Windows\Minidump\032017-24913-01.dmp
  C:\Users\[i][----][/i]\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-45146-0.sysdata.xml

Thanks you in advance for your help.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: March 20, 2017, 08:42:12 am »

This is a problem that would be difficult to track down sitting at your computer, let alone to do remotely. I am almost certain that an interrupt request that goes away in Safe Mode means you have a corrupted device driver, but it is also possible (but less likely) that you have malfunctioning hardware that doesn't cause problems in safe mode because the system isn't trying to use it.

The first thing to try would be to use a Live CD or USB Linux distribution. If you can get that to use all of your hardware, it means that the problem is, in fact, in the software. Then the hard part begins.

At this point you could methodically uninstall one driver at a time until the problem goes away, then install fresh drivers for that device. This will take quite a bit of time and hassle.

Uninstalling all of your drivers would also work, and would probably be faster overall.

You could also back up your data and reinstall Windows from scratch. That would be sure to solve the problem, but carries hassles in and of itself.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: March 20, 2017, 09:04:42 am »

This is a problem that would be difficult to track down sitting at your computer, let alone to do remotely. I am almost certain that an interrupt request that goes away in Safe Mode means you have a corrupted device driver, but it is also possible (but less likely) that you have malfunctioning hardware that doesn't cause problems in safe mode because the system isn't trying to use it.

[...]

At this point you could methodically uninstall one driver at a time until the problem goes away, then install fresh drivers for that device. This will take quite a bit of time and hassle.

Uninstalling all of your drivers would also work, and would probably be faster overall.

Given I didn't install any new hardware ever, how can I access the list of most recently updated drivers?

And how can I successfully use System Restore?

You could also back up your data and reinstall Windows from scratch. That would be sure to solve the problem, but carries hassles in and of itself.

Given I don't have a Windows 7 Install Disk at hand but that I could maybe have one on the place I will do an internship, I might search for which software device is currupted before going for reinstallment, especially since I don't know how and where to store my 13 Go library.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: March 23, 2017, 08:05:31 pm »

Hey, so I've been planning on upgrading to an unlimited internet plan and I have a question. In our current 270GB limit plan, the speed is 75 mbs, but due to wi-fi it becomes 30 mbs on a good day. I am planning on transfering to a plan that is 60 mbs, but unlimited. Will it become even slower with wi-fi or will the effective speed remain 30 mbs?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: March 24, 2017, 01:31:41 am »

You need to upgrade your gear to wireless N or AC. (AC is better)

Most gear is G. G has a 54mbit bandwidth restriction. It will never be faster than that (caveat, there are proprietary extensions to the spec, but meh.)

N has a max of 300mbit.

AC is 1.3gbit.

This means the router, and all your wireless devices need to be that spec to get those rates, or the access point will slow down for your slower gear.

It will of course, also slow down due to signal quality issues, which is likely why you have 30mbit effective on G.

Basically, your wireless gear is imposing a network bottleneck. No matter how fast the pipe to the world is, your local net is only so fast, and will always have that top speed unless you upgrade.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:39:11 am by wierd »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: March 26, 2017, 11:06:54 am »

I have an Ubuntu Linux machine. I'm trying to get Mount & Blade: Warband to run a mod, but the window to configure the game and choose a mod doesn't appear. I traced the problem to lacking the proper libraries; I'm getting an error that I need "libaudio.so.2", but that library doesn't appear to exist. Any ideas?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: March 26, 2017, 11:13:48 am »

sudo apt-get install libaudio2

should solve the missing lib problem you are having.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/amd64/libaudio2/filelist

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: March 26, 2017, 11:35:21 am »

I already have libaudio2, it seems.

If it's any help, the specific message I get when I try to manually run the configure file is:
./mbw_config_linux: error while loading shared libraries: libaudio.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: March 26, 2017, 11:50:03 am »

Try

sudo apt-get reinstall libaudio2

It may be that a symlink is missing.  (Often times, the cited file being searched for is a symlink pointing to a specific version of the lib. This allows the system to have multiple versions of that library in existence simultaneously, but only one has global dominance. If the specific version library file exists (because the package is installed), but the symlink is missing, there really will not be a "libaudio.so.2" in the libs folder. Instead there will be a "libaudio.so.2.4" instead. (which the symlink points to, normally, when it exists.)

Reinstalling the package should re-create the symlink if it is missing.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: March 26, 2017, 01:14:40 pm »

Reinstallation didn't do anything.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: March 26, 2017, 01:34:59 pm »

Ok, look for the specific version libaudio.so.2.X file in the libs folder, then create a symlink manually.

Been awhile, but the syntax is something like:

sudo ln -s /lib/libaudio.so.2.FOO /lib/libaudio.so.2

where FOO is the specific sub-version you have installed.

That might fix your problem. Naturally, adjust the paths accordingly, et al.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: March 30, 2017, 05:16:34 am »

Laptop issue:
It's just been 3 months or so since I've had this new battery--two months past warranty--and it seems like it just failed on me compared to the length of time the last one had :/
In that just 10 minutes equates to a full loss of "100%" as it displays, and it 'charges' faster than I usually am familiar with.

That and the battery light(?) is flickering where it wasn't before--at charging to 100% or at 100%. :-\ I don't know how to understand what to do.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: March 30, 2017, 05:22:40 am »

sounds like the cells inside have failed alright.

outside warranty == boned.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 348