Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494545 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3360 on: May 24, 2017, 11:51:25 pm »

The drawback to an i7 is that they cost twice as much as a same-grade i5 (such as i5 7600 vs i7 7700), for virtually (or often literally) zero increase in performance for most purposes.

The i7 has a marginally higher clock speed, and has 4 virtual cores in addition to the four physical ones fond on both i5 and i7 processors. For most games, this translates into frame rate increases of 0-5 FPS.

The only areas where an i7 is beneficial is in highly threaded applications. For most users, only editing/rendering video and high resolution photo benefits. If you are not doing large amounts of this, then buying an i7 is essentially throwing money into the trash.

Yeah, in real-world purposes, my i5-4690k (Haswell, 2013) still beats the i5-6600 that superseded it, and is ~17% slower than the i5-7600k (Kaby Lake, 2017), which afaik is the top end i5 currently. That said, there is a sizable jump in performance between the i5-4690k and the i7-7700k, but you'd kind of expect it from a mid-to-upper range Haswell i5 vs a top end i7 Kaby Lake.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: May 25, 2017, 09:33:00 am »

Shit, I have a very urgent problem.

So my mother's email account has been hacked and now the website doesn't even believe it exists. When we try to login, the website simply says it doesn't recognize that account. Problem is, that email account was one of the most important email accounts in our family containing all sorts of valuable financial information and such. As a rather young guy who doesn't actually own financial information and doesn't know what it means, what am I supposed to do? We tried contacting customer service, but yahoo customer service is run by a bunch of bastards and isn't even willing to look at our problem. We also tried google, but it only gave us advice about how to prevent ourselves from being hacked, not what to do once it's already happened.

We probably won't be able to recover the email, but we want to at least prevent identity theft.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: May 25, 2017, 12:57:09 pm »

You should have a list of all your credit cards, bank accounts, and other such things. Contact them immediately over the phone, explain that your security has been compromised and that you need to freeze everything immediately. They'll walk you through the rest of the steps you need to take, as any finiancial institution takes identity theft very seriously.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: May 25, 2017, 01:45:11 pm »

Also, are you sure the account is missing, not just had the password changed on you?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: May 25, 2017, 01:51:22 pm »

I had the same thing happen to me with one of my throwaway Yahoo accounts. The people hacking them lock them down somehow so that it becomes impossible to restore.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: May 28, 2017, 10:15:39 pm »

I've been having this problem as of late where a random window pops up and suddenly closes, interrupting whatever I'm doing. This includes fullscreen games.

This is bad.

The window looks like a command prompt window, but I can't see the thing long enough to tell what it is or isn't.

What should I do?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: May 29, 2017, 01:00:50 pm »

That could be a lot of things, up to and including Windows itself. It might be related to drivers. It might be a Windows update. It might be a scheduled task. Look in your scheduled tasks. Look in task manager and see what processes are running.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: May 29, 2017, 11:27:49 pm »

officebackgroundtaskhandler.exe or something like that.

That's the window that's been popping up.

Any ideas?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: May 30, 2017, 02:47:39 pm »

I saw that as a prominent culprit. Good job being even more intrusive, MS.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: May 31, 2017, 04:30:09 am »

My mouse is scrolling down large chunks of the screen. I've gone into mouse settings and made sure I set it to three lines, but it didn't help. Any suggestions on fixing it? It's really getting on my wick.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: May 31, 2017, 08:05:55 am »

Unplug it, clean out the connector and port and try again? Mice are finicky if any dust gets in.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: May 31, 2017, 09:04:16 am »

Strangely, it is now working normally. That's weird, but glad it's stopped.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: June 01, 2017, 03:26:43 pm »

I just set up a linux box on my network, and I want to share files between it and my main Windows box. So far as I can tell, I have shares properly set up on both machines, but neither can see the other. The linux box is connected to the network via a second router connected to the main one, while the Windows box is connected to the main one. Is the problem caused because one box is on a 192.168.0.xx address and the other is 192.168.1.xx?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: June 01, 2017, 03:42:36 pm »

As long as both systems are under 192.168.x.x they should be able to see each other. Troubleshooting networks is tough.

Can both routers see each other?
Can both PCs see the routers?
Can both routers see the PCs?

Yeah, sometimes one can see the other but not vice-versa.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 348