Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494612 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3375 on: June 01, 2017, 03:47:45 pm »

I actually solved it since I posted that - used DD-WRT to reprogram the router to act as a switch, and it works fine now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: June 01, 2017, 03:53:57 pm »

Built a computer half a year ago, its going great but I have a small problem.  My computer has a large HHD and a smallish SSD, OS is on the SSD.  Unfortunately, my file system is very fucked right now.  I have two big concerns:

1. The SSD, because it has the OS, is where the documents/vidoes/ect. folders are.  And its the default drive that everything tries to download or install into.  But its a 20th the size of the HHD and it has only a few scant GBs left.

2. I made my own programs folder in the HHD, but I, ah, fucked up.  See I told Unity to install in that folder naively believing that like steam once I showed it to the program files it would create its own folder by default.  It did not.  My entire programs folder is full of .dlls and Unity folders.  They aren't even labeled unity, they're things like "data".  I'm highly concerned that if I reinstall Unity to the proper folder either I'll lose project data (which wouldn't be that hard to backup, none of them are far along anyway) or the Unity uninstaller will just nuke the entire programs folder and kill all my shit.

Any advice would be appreciated.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: June 01, 2017, 03:58:33 pm »

What's the OS?
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: June 01, 2017, 04:02:11 pm »

The uninstaller may nuke anything with the same filename as any unity components. May as in it might look for a specific signature instead. It may ignore any folders that don't have a unity specific name too.
Project data files should be under their own directories somewhere (only experience for such is other programs that make projects) because if they were not they would override each other's files if any have the same name.
You could copy every single thing into a backup folder under a separate folder (or the drive root folder) Just in case it goes wrong.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 04:30:23 pm by Khan Boyzitbig »
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: June 01, 2017, 04:28:15 pm »

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: June 01, 2017, 04:36:08 pm »

That is by my count a solution to problems one and two, my thanks to both of you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: June 03, 2017, 03:53:11 am »

Fun with chromebooks-- Not really a request for help, just a heads up.

If you guys ever decide to use an SDCard for /home on a crippled chromebook, be aware that the browser cache will wear the thing to death. Why? Because for some reason browser makers STILL have not figured out that people DO NOT WANT TO HOLD ONTO THE CACHE FOREVER, and do not set up a tmpfs location for the cache.

So, make one yourself, and put the browser cache on it. Tmpfs is exactly what it sounds like. Temporary filesystem. Temporary ram backed storage. Goes POOF on power off. Can be set in /etc/fstab.

Today's message brought to you by:

Extreme corruption of /home EXT4 partition due to excessive writes caused by browser cache.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: June 03, 2017, 09:24:52 am »

Does this work on windows 10?  Also, how would exactly would you go about doing that?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: June 03, 2017, 11:14:10 am »

Everything in that post is Linux specific, including the original issue.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: June 03, 2017, 02:29:26 pm »

Something "similar" can be done on windows, it is just a pain in the ass.

You will need something like imdisk.
http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk

The basic idea is that ntfs volumes need not be mounted as drive letters-- they can be mounted as "junctions" instead, where they act more like a linux mount point. Basically, you mount the ramdisk using a junction, at the folder that your browser wants to use for its cache. This will have the same basic effect.

That could be useful on similarly crippled windows machines, like those new windows 10 "cloud books".

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: June 03, 2017, 07:29:58 pm »

Why is ms trying to make a chromebook out of its crappy new os. Its not going to work better with less resources.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: June 04, 2017, 02:54:00 am »

chrome has taken the golden perch of educational institutions.

That is to say, many schools are standardizing on chromebooks because:

1) Durable: No moving parts. NO, NOT EVEN A FAN. (the most fragile part is the display. You can drop it lots of times, and it will be fine.)
2) Absurd battery life. 8hrs active use on a single charge.
3) Absurdly cheap. Often under 200$ per system, retail.
4) Cloud based storage means all student data is in a central location, agnostic of device used to access it.

Now, Microsoft wants in on that action. They are trying to make a competing solution to the chromebook, in the typical MS fashion. (Including creating inferior cloud infrastructure.)

Personally, I consider the first 3 things above to be very attractive, but don't give two shakes about the last one. Cloud storage can go fuck itself. I like to own my own data.

That said, the storage inside chromebooks and these new "cloud books" is not upgradable. It is crippled at 16gb or 32gb of space, depending on model, on average. That is barely enough for an operating system these days, let alone user data. The device makers *KNOW* this, and use the lack of storage as a second foil to herd you into their cloud ecosystems. Again, screw that noise. My data belongs to ME, not some megacorp who thinks they know better than I on how to manage my files.

Hence, the need to abuse the SDCard slot.  My Samsung Chromebook 3 (Celes) has a microSD card slot that is easily accessible, but easy to ignore at the same time.  Perfect for putting a very large microsd card into, and mounting as /home after installing MrChromebox, and getting legacy boot support.  The "Cloud Books" will likely need similar bastardry to be seriously used. The problem is that SDCards are not really made for aggressive, or persistent write operations. They wear out fast if you do that.  Linux is the ideal OS to use here, because you can use zram backed swap to avoid ever writing to either the eMMC based SSD inside, OR to the microSD slot for things like swapfile use. Windows? Not so much.  Additionally, it is painlessly easy to mount the SDCard slot as /home with linux, and things just work as you want. Again, not so with Windows. (You CAN use junctions, softlinks, and other tricks to get the system to use the storage-- but many MANY things will break because of how moronic the MS developers are, and how they blatantly assume that all system files need to be in %system_root%/Program Files, and that hardlinks in this folder are a jolly good idea, and that it must always be on the main system volume. There ARE ways to address all the problems, but it quickly becomes a lesson in pain avoidance to just use the OS that is better suited to this kind of use case, and install WINE for all that windows software you might need on your underpowered portable.)

Just again, while Linux does this much better than Windows does, it still needs a little helping hand, because the 3rd party app developers (Browser makers, et al) all stupidly assume that you will have no problems shitting files all over the drive, incessantly, and continually. Thankfully, Linux has an easy to set up mechanism to address this-- tmpfs. That catches these writes if you put appropriate tmpfs mounts at all the places these pieces of software want to shit temporary files, saving your media. This is easy to have the system do for you on every boot, by adding the needed entries to /etc/fstab. 

I just wish I had considered how aggressive writing the browser cache actually was. 50mb of crap in just a few moments of browsing is just too much. 20mb folders is most certainly access.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: June 08, 2017, 10:44:52 pm »

I'm having the weirdest problem. I'm trying to watch a particular youtube video, and there's no sound (well there's some ultra quiet scratchy noises). There are normal sounds in other youtube video.

The weird part is that when I look at Window's mixer settings, the levels are supposedly coming through from firefox and to the speakers loud and clear.

And then the really weird part is that if I nuke either the left channel or the right channel of the signal, then the sound comes through fine, like the two channels are noise-canceling each other out, and the scratchy noises now make sense as a noise cancellation artifact.

Anyone ever have anything like this before?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: June 09, 2017, 03:26:35 am »

Invert stereo waveform.  Actually, monaural sound, duplicated, and pushed with inverted phase. 

I have never seen it on PURPOSE-- but I suppose it is kinda clever...
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 348