Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494889 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3420 on: July 03, 2017, 12:57:51 pm »

I don't have a printer yet.  I'm deciding between a wireless scanner/printer combo that will probably go in the living room for the whole apartment to use, or a very cheap inkjet that does nothing but print and would have to be physically connected to my computer.  I'm wondering if I'll need to buy a wireless card for my computer in the case of the former since that will figure into cost.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: July 03, 2017, 01:00:59 pm »

It it a wireless-only combo device, then? It should come with a cable otherwise.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: July 03, 2017, 02:42:39 pm »

Wi-Fi printers connect to the router, and are visible to all devices on that network. You do NOT need a wireless card in your computer to use one.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: July 03, 2017, 04:44:35 pm »

Okay cool, thank you.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: July 03, 2017, 05:42:59 pm »

Biggest problem with wireless printers from my experience is that they tend to randomly disconnect from the network. It can be quite the pain to reconnect them. If I knew about this at the time I wouldn't have bought wireless and just stuck with wired. It's not worth the annoyance in my opinion.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: July 03, 2017, 07:31:14 pm »

Biggest problem with wireless printers from my experience is that they tend to randomly disconnect from the network. It can be quite the pain to reconnect them. If I knew about this at the time I wouldn't have bought wireless and just stuck with wired. It's not worth the annoyance in my opinion.

I've had usb printers randomly disconnect from my computer. The same one disconnects from my router a lot less frequently.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: July 03, 2017, 08:05:56 pm »

Guess I just bought a bad model then. In any case, look for reviews and see if they mention random disconnections.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: July 10, 2017, 07:52:06 am »

Well my computer is a solid 9 of ten on the how bady screwed up scale.
Windoes registry is so bad messed up that not even the XP install disc will run proppery.
Yes i know xp and yes my computer is made from rocks like everything from the stone age :P
Now it time to see whic of the 2 spare hard drives will work, install xp on that and mount the bad hard drive as it's slave.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: July 10, 2017, 10:08:37 am »

It's a live!! my franken computer lives!!
Turns out it was the BIOS getting the  SATA controller gets toggled.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3429 on: July 12, 2017, 03:42:44 pm »

Here's a bizarre trivia question for you all - does a monitor having a 72% NTSC colour gamut generally imply it has a full sRGB colour gamut, or is that too optimistic (insofar as sRGB is something to get excited about, anyway)?

Asking because I'm contemplating this monitor. Yes, yes, it's 720p and it's 2017, etc, but mostly
a) it's cheap
b) it may or may not have a good colour gamut (actually why I'm looking for a monitor)
c) it's PLS, which means it has good viewing angle and won't screw my gamma if I twitch.

Or, of course, if the hive mind can recommend something with an IPS/PLS display and good colour fidelity that won't break the bank that's cool too. :P I'm just not looking to lash out more than around $100 if it's not giving me significant benefit. 1080p would be nice, but I've worked with it and without it and I don't really mind.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: July 13, 2017, 03:07:24 am »

If you are using it for a monitor, you will find that the lower resolutions will make text into an ugly blocky mess, even when subpixel rendering is on.

Why the fixation on color correctness though? Without using a spectrophotometer or something similar, you wont be ASSURED that the curves that the display says it is generating actually match the curves it really is generating.  Many monitors can have their color balance manipulated via software at the video card level; have you exhausted that option yet before going out and buying a new monitor?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3431 on: July 13, 2017, 06:50:58 am »

Many monitors can have their color balance manipulated via software at the video card level; have you exhausted that option yet before going out and buying a new monitor?

Yes.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: July 15, 2017, 04:32:59 pm »

The spot where my outgoing fan sits at the top of my computer has been super hot lately, to the point that I can sometimes feel the heat sitting next to it.  I don't know when it started, and I'm concerned about my computer's health.  It's idling around 25* thermal margin (i.e. 25 degrees below maximum operating temp) and GPU is likewise above average but not dangerously high for idling.

Gonna be going through it with the compressed air but I just did that a couple weeks ago, feels like it should've lasted longer before needing a cleaning.  The main th ing though is how hot that fan is, I don't remember that happening before.  Could it be I accidentally put the fan in upside down when I last cleaned it?  Maybe some kind of electrical problem causing it to heat up?

Edit:  Input fan in the back is dead, I just pulled it out to clear the space.  Probably gonna replace both case fans.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:31:56 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: July 17, 2017, 08:09:35 pm »

Due to unexpected family events (my parents unexpectedly moved in with me, and the power supply for their Facebook computer died), my Linux box has become (at least temporarily) a multi-user system. Creating a new user was easy enough, but I have a number of files that I don't want them accessing (mostly backups of various documents - nothing critically important, but it would be inconvenient if they were to somehow mess them up) but would prefer to have regular access to.

At present, I just leave the relevant drive unmounted, as they don't have the password needed to mount it. This, however, has the downside of leaving this drive (which is my media storage drive as well as the mentioned backup) inaccessible much of the time, which is not convenient for me. The ideal solution would be to set it up so that the relevant folders are invisible to their user, but visible to mine and to root. Failing this, requiring a password to open the folder would also work, so long as this did not interfere with the SMB setup I use to transfer to and from my Windows box.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: July 17, 2017, 08:45:54 pm »

Sounds like you want to change the OTHERS level access, and possibly GROUP level access.

Basically, set all access to "-" for OTHERS, and only grant read access to GROUP.

Something like this?

RWX,R--,---

If there are files that the system needs to access, but you dont want to run daemons as root (because you arent dumb), then GROUP comes to the rescue.

Create a new group, and name it something like DAEMONS or something. Give the limited user accounts used by the system daemons that need access to those files membership in that group, then change ownership of the files, by doing recursive chown at the top of the drive like this:

chown -R [owner]:DAEMONS *

This makes the ownership information grant permissions to the DAEMONS group, which then lets you dole out that readonly you need, while keeping actual ownership at the USER level intact. This lets your own user still have full access (root always has access), and gives provisions to the DEAMONS group for read only access, which we then set up with chmod at the top of that drive:

chmod -R g=r,o= *

That should leave any permissions set for your user level access alone, and set read only for group, and no access for others, and do it recursively. Afterwards, your user should still be able to see and use their files, only members of the DAEMONS group can get special group level access which restricts them to read only, and people not in the daemons group wont even be able to list files there. (they CAN change directory to there at the command prompt, but doing anything there will give an access denied message.)

The last bit of the puzzle is the default file creation mask in ~/.bashrc

We want all newly created files for your user to automatically assign group and others the correct permissions at time of creation (so we dont have to keep doing the above all the time to fix them) We do that with the umask. At the bottom of the .bashrc file, (or /etc/profile file), change/append this:

umask 037

That usmask gives the current user full permissions, the group permission of read only, and denies all permissions for other.

See this handy reference for how to calculate umasks
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 348