Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 267

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 229299 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • The first mankind, all over the world!
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3615 on: February 03, 2018, 08:57:56 pm »

I'm trying to make a script to run Daggerfall with only one command. How would one create a script that opens DOSBox, then runs commands in DOSBox? Is it possible?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: February 04, 2018, 12:24:11 am »

That shouldn't require scripting at all. That just requires editing of the Dosbox config file. I know how to do it on Windows, but not other platforms. The process should be broadly similar on all platforms, but I'm not certain.

On Windows (going off memory, you might need to do some tweaking):

Make a Copy of your "dosbox.conf" file, named something like "Daggerfall.conf".
Configure the new file appropriately for daggerfall.
Under the "autoexec" section, type something along these lines (naturally, you'll have to substitute the mount path for what you have on your system, and I'm not certain of the exact filenames for this particular game)
MOUNT C C:\Games\Dos\
C:
CD DAGGER
DAGGER.EXE

Once you've done that, create a shortcut to Dosbox. Edit the shortcut, and replace DOSBox.exe with DOSBox.exe -conf "DAGGERFALL.CONF"

This should allow you to click the shortcut to start.

My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: February 04, 2018, 01:27:58 pm »

Dosbox DOES accept commands over the command line though.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxShortcuts

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • The first mankind, all over the world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: February 05, 2018, 11:24:38 pm »

Ah, thanks for the help, guys. Got it up and running now.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • The brochure sure didn't mention any of this shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: February 10, 2018, 07:22:58 pm »

So my monitor on my laptop just suddenly shut itself off without warning.

I was able to reboot the laptop and things seem to be working fine for now. Any idea what might have caused this?

I had a number of tabs open in Mozilla Firefox, and I was downloading a game on Steam. Are either of those things frequent causes of laptop crashing?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: February 10, 2018, 10:33:39 pm »

So my monitor on my laptop just suddenly shut itself off without warning.

I was able to reboot the laptop and things seem to be working fine for now. Any idea what might have caused this?

I had a number of tabs open in Mozilla Firefox, and I was downloading a game on Steam. Are either of those things frequent causes of laptop crashing?

Not sure, but that sounds like it could be a graphics driver crash, and the computer failed to restart or rescue the graphics driver. I had similar things happen on my old laptop. And no, downloading a game is unlikely to cause a graphics driver crash like that. Maaaaaaybe having lots of tabs open, especially ones loading youtube etc. Laptop GPUs aren't great anyway.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: March 11, 2018, 11:45:02 pm »

I'm trying to make a script to run Daggerfall with only one command. How would one create a script that opens DOSBox, then runs commands in DOSBox? Is it possible?
>mfw you see a problem you could have helped with but you're a month too late

My friend traded me a HDD which is WAY newer and, to my knowledge, faster than the one I have now (the one I'm using is 6+ years old) so it'd be real nice if I could replace my old HDD with this new one and then just use the old one for something else. Is there some kind of way I could easily transfer all of the shit from the old one to the new in such a way as to not risk destroying myself?

My common sense tells me "just copy and paste all the stuff lel" but due to my past hard-drive-related fuckups I no longer trust myself with such things

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: March 12, 2018, 12:06:55 am »

What you want is a disk imaging program.

Easiest is just dd from linux.  gddrescue if you want a pretty progress indicator, or suspect bad sectors.

Run it from a USB live stick/dvd.  Be very sure about source and destination.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: April 06, 2018, 01:29:18 am »

Okay, another internet/ network question that I hope someone can help me with.

This afternoon I started up my computer, then logged into STEAM, a few moments later STEAM began downloading a 480`ish MB update for ARK: Survival Evolved.

None of this is unusual, what is abnormal is that for the FIRST TIME since I installed my wireless card it actually downloaded at its maximum speed, around 11.5 megabytes (NOT BITS I know the difference) per second.  After experiencing some abnormal slowness with Windows I restarted the system, and lo and behold, I was back to a pathetic 1.5 megabytes per second download speed.

What this tells me is that there is something, somewhere on my system, that is massively throttling my bandwidth, and I want to figure out what it is.  Any ideas?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: April 06, 2018, 01:42:59 am »

It probably isn't anything to do with your system. Steam uses a peer-to-peer downloading system (much like a torrent) to ease the load on Steam's servers. On occasion, you'll luck into a configuration where you get much more data fed into your pipe than normal.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: April 06, 2018, 01:48:57 am »

Well, that might explain what happened this afternoon, but it doesn't explain why I only ever get that same 1.5 MB/s everywhere else (Got 2.2 once), even though the device and my network are capable of far more.  Even speed tests say I should be getting 10-12 MB/s, not 1.5, but the issue is universal excepting this one instance.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: April 06, 2018, 01:52:51 am »

For any single transfer, 1.5 megabytes a second is pretty quick. You have to get the files from somewhere, and that somewhere is either going to be a set of peers with a limited upload speed (which is always far, far slower than download), or from a server farm that gets so many requests that they can't serve any of them very fast.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: April 06, 2018, 01:57:08 am »

That is certainly a factor, maybe I'm overthinking this.  I know that most of the 'net isn't blisteringly fast, so maybe I just have an unreasonable expectation here.  It still feels extremely strange that I have a 300 Mbps device and a connection that can handle at least 10 MB/s and can't get better than 1.5 MB/s.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: April 06, 2018, 11:39:39 pm »

Since this is over Steam, which uses P2P, or so I understand (So valve does not have spend buttloads of money on hosting), then you are limited by the upload speed(s) of the peers steam connects you to to get the data.

Most users are going to be schlubs like me, who are stuck behind ancient slow as hell ADSL or wimpy cable modems.  (I suffer the former.) I have a laughably tiny upload speed-- 768k sustained. Even though your download pipe is huge, if your box connected to mine and tried to download something, it would be limited to 768k/sec, which is the saturation limit of my upload speed.  Likely, that is what is happening here.

P2P can get around this to some extent, by connecting to several peers at once, and downloading several chunks at a time, which makes the effective transfer speed much higher. (you can connect to 10 people that are crippled like I am, and get 7mb/sec download.)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: April 07, 2018, 12:55:40 am »

Steam is not peer-to-peer.

Valve does, however, limit download speed so those with really fast internet don't suck up all the bandwidth and leave the slower connections to rot.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 267