Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 492431 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3750 on: November 23, 2018, 12:26:21 pm »

I'm just interested in editing gameplay footage. I'm trying to make a video just comprised of action-y segments, so I'd like to edit out anything that isn't, well, action-y.

That's why the fact the video preview doesn't seem to work on some programs is a real issue for me.

There's no Windows Movie Maker with Win 10?  There should be a 2018 version out there

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: November 23, 2018, 01:22:49 pm »

A brief google search reveals that Windows Movie Maker doesn't come with Windows 10 and is apparently really old, which implies there's no 2018 version.

EDIT: Also, Kdenlive has similar Preview Mode issues that Videopad has, so I can't really use it, either.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: November 23, 2018, 01:32:26 pm »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: November 26, 2018, 02:11:26 pm »

I have been using my plasma TV as a second monitor for things like Netflix. Recently, it started making a clicking noise and appearing to turn on then back off sometimes when it wasn't on, then also when it was first turned on, then it decided to just click repeatedly instead of turning on. I'm assuming it's some sort of short.

How worth it is it to look into fixing it? DIY or take it somewhere? Would it be cheaper to just buy a new not-broken TV?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: November 26, 2018, 03:13:30 pm »

Overwhelmingly, it is probably cheaper to get a new TV. Especially if you can still get one on the tail-end of the Black Friday sales.

(I know someone who would go in there and do what's necessary with the (probable, from the sound of it) power component. He probably wouldn't replace an LCD backlight (and only entire LCD panels, where the size/make makes them practical to source as a component) and Plasma is an eclipsed technology with probably no easy component source. But an inverter/whatever unit might be gettable, or even repairable if upon examination it's a blown cap or similar. But you'd have to find such a chap of your own, locally, and if you had someone in mind already then you'd probably not be asking here.)

With various newtech, OLEDs over LCD for example, you probably be able to move at least a generation further on without breaking the bank, if not getting all the way up-to-date. The HDR of newer LCDs (cheating by backlight modulating) might not be too far off what you expect. Then there's the higher res/refresh/tuner options etc.

(It would probably be cheaper to get someone in there to fix it, with the right (unmercenary) soldering-iron-wallah, than a whole new item, but more fuss. And if you don't know them there's a chance they won't give you an honest "not economical to repair, mate" before doing and/or charging for a lot of expensive investigation/fixing.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: November 26, 2018, 04:23:46 pm »

You can get a very nice, very large IPS based LCD display for a few hundred these days. OLED is brighter, with better color saturation, but the elements in the display burn out, and can get burn-in. That does not happen with LCD.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: November 26, 2018, 04:28:56 pm »

Oh man, we're back to TVs with burn-in? I don't miss that.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: November 26, 2018, 04:42:49 pm »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: December 02, 2018, 02:07:12 am »

You know Deltarune?

Well, I'm trying to play it, but there's no sound.

I don't mean there's a problem with my headphones. I mean there's literally no sound coming from the game. I watched a video of a walkthrough and I know there should be sound, but there isn't. I'm on Windows 10, on a laptop that was purchased just over a week ago. I'm not sure what issue it is I'm suffering from or how to fix it.

Restarting the program didn't seem to help. Neither did restarting the computer. Neither did uninstalling and reinstalling (Which does not seem to have deleted my entire directory). Neither did running as an administrator.

Anything else I should try?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: December 02, 2018, 02:46:30 am »

Change the default sound output rate from 48000 to 44100.   For realz. That fixes a lot of problems with strange audio problems in games.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: December 02, 2018, 02:54:41 am »

I... can't.

I literally can't - there's only 2 options for the speakers and connecting headphones provides no new options to modify.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: December 02, 2018, 03:00:17 am »

What the hell!?

What sound hardware is this, that it does not have options for 32bit 44100 stereo?!  That's like, the bread and butter "normal" format! 

Freaking microsoft hard at work...

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: December 02, 2018, 04:29:10 am »

I mean mine doesn't either, has far more options than AzyWng's but no 32bit output. Though my laptop is old and the speakers are ropey anyway, it has served me well though.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: December 02, 2018, 08:45:25 pm »

I just purchased my laptop on Black Friday.

So... That's the state of the world nowadays. 44100 is being phased out but not everyone is on board with the change or soem thing.

I've tried googling the issue, but nothing has come up so far...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: December 02, 2018, 09:12:47 pm »

What the hell!?

What sound hardware is this, that it does not have options for 32bit 44100 stereo?!  That's like, the bread and butter "normal" format! 

Freaking microsoft hard at work...

32 bit isn't that common. Do you mean 16-bit 44100? That's original DVD quality.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 347