Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 202736 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3870 on: April 18, 2019, 01:41:28 pm »

I don't know if it happens much with contemporary discs, but you used to get a case where some form of physical damage (perhaps caused by an unparked head bouncing off the platter due to external forces) started a 'fraying' of the drive(-surface) away from the initial bad bit. A whole cylinder would end up unusable, and maybe collateral neighbouring cylinders (mainly outward) too.

Might have been just one particular type of disc. It could be that this was therefore discontinued as a manufacturing method, going for something more tolerant of point-damage (in a physical way) as well as all the additional logical-layout mitigations.

scofficial

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: April 20, 2019, 04:00:46 am »

Any chance you can record the sound, and then post it on soundcloud or something?
Any help on this?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: April 24, 2019, 12:19:39 pm »

So it happened again. Except this time the situation is reversed. Windows insists that there's an error with C: but in depth scans show no issues with the drive whatsoever. So now I'm stuck at the fixing disk errors screen when there's no fucking errors to fix.And the fucking thing worked perfectly fine yesterday. Only way.around it seems to be yet another reinstall of windows, and at this point I wonder if it's worth installing anything else since windows is bound to shoot itself in the foot and claim hardware issues again.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: April 24, 2019, 11:47:42 pm »

What do the S.M.A.R.T. diagnostic logs say?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: April 25, 2019, 12:47:06 am »

Same thing they said before, there's a number of bad sectors and reallocations due to said bad sectors but nothing has gotten worse since last week. Either way I looked it up some more and it seems to be an issue with Win10 when it loses its shit if not shut down properly (and since I don't have a proper restart button the only way to restart is to force-shutdown) and gets stuck in the disk checking mode. So I reinstalled yet again, tho this time I found myself a barebones LTSB version that's about as close to win7 as you can get pretty much, will see if it fucks up in a week again.

In the end, I'm getting my backup drive today so even if it decides to go full sudoku I'm not gonna be bothered too much by it
AS - IG

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • The brochure sure didn't mention any of this shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: April 25, 2019, 08:54:09 am »

I canít seem to open .jar files. Iím on Windows 10 and they wonít open. I can run java-based games like Minecraft just fine, but not .jar files - and I know I have Javaís latest version installed.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: April 25, 2019, 11:00:42 am »

They may have lost the file association. Try using "open with" in the context menu.
My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: April 25, 2019, 12:54:05 pm »

Attempting to use "Open With" with the Java(TM) SE Platform Binary simply results in the spinning circle thing (the icon that replaced the hourglass from older Windows versions) appearing for a few seconds before then disappearing. Also, checking the file associations reveals that Java(TM) SE Platform Binary is indeed being used as the default for .jar files.

I haven't actually tried restarting my computer, so I don't know if this is just a small hiccup or if file association actually has been lost (or if it's some other issue). I'll try restarting it later and if that doesn't help, I'll let you know.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: April 25, 2019, 07:29:22 pm »

blech.  Are you sure it is all JAR files, and not just some whinyines from the jar in question?

"No, I want to be run with -Xmsx1024, or I wont run at all! *raspberry!*" type shenanigans?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: April 25, 2019, 07:49:45 pm »

Haven't yet restarted, but tried out another .jar file - and it opened up just fine! I don't know what the matter with the other file is. Again, I will let you know what - if anything - happens when I restart.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: April 25, 2019, 07:59:10 pm »

when started without any argument for the memsize, the JVM will attempt to run the JAR file in a context with a memory ceiling of 256mb, if I recall correctly.

Many programs want more than this (because they are written in java, and it is fucking wasteful as shit with memory...) so you have to invoke java with the -Xms argument to specify how many megabytes of memory the VM has.  This is why I mentioned it.

eg,

java -Xms1024 -jar [some jar file.jar]

You would accomplish that with a shortcut.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: May 01, 2019, 04:25:23 am »

Further laptop woes yaaay!

This time it's the graphics for whatever reason. My asus runs a GTX950M and before I've had zero issues with the damn thing. But ever since the last install, two out of two games that I've installed have shown issues. Namely, in fullscreen mode, the screen flashes black with a thick, glitchy line across the middle, in case of Grim Dawn, it's visible only in menus and for a bit, in case of DS3 it's always present and makes it unplayable. It looks like a sync issue but fiddling with that ingame hasn't produced any results, and so far, only switching to windowed mode seems to fix it. I have the latest drivers from the asus website since ones from nvidia refuse to install claiming that I don't have compatible hardware for it :V

Edit: Further experimentation shows that even in fullscreen mode, when I pick a different resolution it doesn't glitch anymore. So it only seems to be a problem at 1920x1080
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:37:51 am by Jopax »
AS - IG

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: May 01, 2019, 07:40:25 am »

Try an OLDER driver.

Many times, the newest driver pack has issues with older cards.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: May 01, 2019, 08:39:07 am »

Iím on Windows 10 and...

I'm sorry to hear that. I feel like I should have purchased dozens of copies of Windows 7 to give out to people back when I bought my copy.

I mean, you could try to use Linux, but you could also try Scientology.
To improve communication, all sarcasm and other jokes will be posted in a black font.

Japa

• Bay Watcher
  • Spoopy time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: May 01, 2019, 09:51:38 am »

You're forgetting one thing.

In general everyday usage, windows 10 outshines linux by miles.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261