Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 483203 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3885 on: May 08, 2019, 09:54:06 pm »

Adb gives you a Linux shell, similar to ssh.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: May 09, 2019, 06:17:11 am »

So reverting the drivers didn't do anything (and nvidia also decided to start updating them while I was in-game, so that was a fun little crash). Further rummaging around, this time focusing on the graphics card instead of particular applications made me learn that the issue is due to some sort of fuckery between the integrated intel card and the nvidia one. As it turns out, the intel drivers were doing something dumb and messing with everything, simply uninstalling those (and letting windows install whatever it did) seems to have fixed the issue completely.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: May 09, 2019, 07:58:14 am »

So reverting the drivers didn't do anything (and nvidia also decided to start updating them while I was in-game, so that was a fun little crash). Further rummaging around, this time focusing on the graphics card instead of particular applications made me learn that the issue is due to some sort of fuckery between the integrated intel card and the nvidia one. As it turns out, the intel drivers were doing something dumb and messing with everything, simply uninstalling those (and letting windows install whatever it did) seems to have fixed the issue completely.

Are there jumpers (little black plastic things over 2 metal prongs) to disable the onboard graphics? It's been a long while, but I vaguely remember that being a thing.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: May 09, 2019, 11:14:14 am »

Don't think that's needed tbh. The integrated card is pretty good for using in windows itself since it won't melt a hole in my lap while doing so. Getting rid of the drivers fixed the thing so far so I'll stick to that for now.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: May 24, 2019, 09:27:36 pm »

Very odd issue here. I just purchased a 32" 4k LG monitor. It works beautifully as long as it is the last monitor connected, but if I hook up any monitors after connecting it, the screen turns solid pink. It returns to normal after disconnecting the added monitor.

I don't see any way this could be a hardware fault, and I think it must be something in my video card. However, pink is a very scary color when it comes to displays, so I'd appreciate it greatly if anybody has any ideas.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: May 25, 2019, 02:41:32 am »

is your display adapter multi-head capable?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: May 25, 2019, 11:27:34 am »

It is a GTX 1060, and I've been running multiple monitors for a long time on it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: May 25, 2019, 12:24:27 pm »

Just checking the low hanging fruit.

Hmm...

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: May 28, 2019, 06:43:22 am »

Really, really simple question - how much memory brand new, freshly installed Windows 7 eats up? And whatever linux, if we are at that. For XP it's 200 MB. For Windows 10 butchered with great prejudice it's 1 GB. For licensed Windows 10 straight from the greates malware producers of the planet it appears to be about 1.6 GB. Just want to know what i'm being locked out of by evil corporations.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: May 28, 2019, 06:51:04 am »

Windows 7 has a boxed minimun memory requirement of 512mb.  In practice, you will need much more than that, usually around 2gb.

Linux-- Depends on the distro. These days, software makers expect you to have at least 2gb installed.  one of the "Memory constrained system" friendly distros like xubuntu or lubuntu, will expect you to have at least 1gb installed.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: May 28, 2019, 12:05:18 pm »

Most linux distro's use in the region of 300-500mb to run the OS (as opposed to memory required to install, or download size of the ISO) by default.  Although this can bloat out depending on what you add on top.  :)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: May 28, 2019, 02:40:24 pm »

It's been my experience that unless you make shameless use of zram swap, the window manager alone will cause swap fever on most distros if you have less than 1gb installed. (Technically, swap fever will still be happening, just with compressed ram backed swap instead of to a swap partition. this is significantly better than going straight to the swap partition, but still technically swap fever is happening.)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: May 29, 2019, 04:21:35 am »

A bit too simple+wrong wording.  :P I referred to the number of memory used in task manager, with nothing else opened. Whatever that actuallly means. Judging from that
Windows 7 has a boxed minimun memory requirement of 512mb.  In practice, you will need much more than that, usually around 2gb.
should be less than 500, i guess.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: May 29, 2019, 06:40:09 pm »

The official Microsoft page has 1Gb for 32-bit and 2Gb for 64-bit as minimum Windows 7 installation requirements.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10737/windows-7-system-requirements  Can't say what the OS alone actually uses since I have no experience...

As to the linux off-topic, two comments.
1) Given that, for example, opening a modern firefox browser consumes approx. 500mb having only 1Gb of memory would put most distro's into swap mode unless you used very aggressive -or is that passive- swap settings.  But this surely is the 'bloat' on top.
2) But the window manager alone?  Must be crappy distro.  A year ago I installed a Manjaro-Xfce 32-bit on an old lappie with 768mb ram (had to edit the minimum memory install code...) and it had no swapping even when using (an old, ~200mb) firefox browser.  Mind you the newer firefox pushed it into swap territory.  ;)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: May 31, 2019, 08:39:45 am »

I'm feeling worried my GPU is borked. Hopefully a driver issue, probably not.

Since it'll probably be a while before I can replace the GPU, I'm looking into contingency plans. Currently I'm getting video over the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. How long that will work I don't know.

So just in case, I'm on a AMD Radeon HD6850 as well as AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE. I don't think that I have integrated graphics on the CPU, so should the card blow up, would it be possible to have basic CPU-rendered display through the motherboard's USB 3.0 port? USB 3.0 is 5 Gbps, so in theory it should support 1080p at 60 Hz (aka ~3 Gbps). It'll have to go through a VGA adapter, and hog some CPU time, but it's doable, no?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 347