Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482861 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3945 on: September 05, 2019, 01:41:49 pm »

Looking to set up for VR gaming in the moderate future - by the end of the year. So far everything is looking good. I would need to replace my graphics card(currently a GTX 750ti), and get Windows 10(I don't want to, but...). I'm pretty sure my power supply(610w) can handle a GTX 1060. Only concern is it fitting inside my case, but it probably would. Actual physical space in my room is actually pretty decent, despite having a smaller room than my last house.

Any recommendations for the actual VR headset? I've heard good thing about the Occulus Rift-S.

I guess you could dual-boot. Or just get a Virtual Boy.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: September 05, 2019, 03:08:24 pm »

Looking to set up for VR gaming in the moderate future - by the end of the year. So far everything is looking good. I would need to replace my graphics card(currently a GTX 750ti), and get Windows 10(I don't want to, but...). I'm pretty sure my power supply(610w) can handle a GTX 1060. Only concern is it fitting inside my case, but it probably would. Actual physical space in my room is actually pretty decent, despite having a smaller room than my last house.

Any recommendations for the actual VR headset? I've heard good thing about the Occulus Rift-S.

The Rift S is supposed to be a significant upgrade from the Rift, and I've found my Rift to be pretty good in general. The primary problem, besides somewhat limited software support, is that the tether cable is fairly annoying.

That said, if you're buying a video card specifically for VR, I'd get something beefier than a 1060. Mine struggles a bit, and that contributes to VR sickness. The 1660 you actually linked would probably be a bit better, but a 1070 or 2070 would probably be a smarter choice.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: September 09, 2019, 07:49:41 pm »

I should upgrade the memory in my PC from "maybe good enough" at 8 GB to "actually good enough." Looks like my motherboard can handle DDR3 1600-2000 (although 2000 isn't available, so...).

I don't remember what the frequencies correspond to. Do they have to match the CPU or something?

If I stuff 240-pin DDR3L into a DDR3 slot, would it still run at slightly lower voltage and produce less heat than regular RAM? Any other side-effects?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: September 09, 2019, 09:32:34 pm »

Your motherboard will change everything to the lowest common denominator, underutilizing anything you stick in that's better than what you have, possibly with a bit of instability mixed in. But it will likely only do this if you fiddle a bit manually in the BIOS. It may not even recognize the new RAM if you just plug it in and boot up. Check your motherboard manual.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: September 11, 2019, 11:18:04 am »

If you have some DDR3 memory in there and you add DDR3L in the next slot, it is not going to end well. DDR3 needs 1.5 volt, DDR3L needs 1.35 volt.

It is better to get a new motherboard, cpu, and memory at once, due to how closely they are linked (effectively, they limit each other).

If your operating system is currently hammering on the hard drive because you are constantly using over 8GB of ram, then upgrading to 16GB might be worth it. But you should also be able to reduce the number of applications running, to free up some of the memory. Then save the $40-$60 for when the sales come around.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: September 11, 2019, 11:02:59 pm »

I looked into upgrading everything, and it's not much of an improvement, because everything that has heavy use also runs single core.

The motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3. Crucial claims it accepts DDR3L, but they also aren't the manufacturer, so...

Although I'd buy pairs of memory, and wouldn't mix types.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: September 11, 2019, 11:50:51 pm »

The manual doesn't tell you much, does it.
Code: [Select]
Memory4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memoryŠ*      Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.Dual channel memory architectureŠSupport for DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modulesŠ*      To support a DDR3 1866 MHz (and above) memory, you must install an AMD AM3+ CPU first.(Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)
The DDR3L should work, but it''ll likely run a bit hotter since it's going to run at 1.5V. The motherboard will force it to go to 1.5 and it will. 3L can do that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: September 11, 2019, 11:56:17 pm »

Hey, has anyone had a go at connection bonding in Windows, i.e. combining a bunch of slower internet connections together to get higher speed? I'm looking for a way to do it that doesn't involve spending money.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: September 12, 2019, 05:04:47 am »

You are looking for channel bonding, aka, link aggregation.

That's a feature normally handled by a hardware router. OpenWRT can handle this.
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/best-way-to-configure-bonding-in-openwrt/26290/3

You need an openwrt capable router that has multiple WAN ports (or has a *REAL* USB3.0 port that you can slap several USB nics onto.)
The best way is to use an old PC.
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/installation/openwrt_x86

By abstracting the link aggregation into a network appliance, you make it easier for an entire network to make use of it. Be apprised that not all load balancing algorithms are created equally.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: September 12, 2019, 07:53:27 am »

The manual doesn't tell you much, does it.

The DDR3L should work, but it''ll likely run a bit hotter since it's going to run at 1.5V. The motherboard will force it to go to 1.5 and it will. 3L can do that.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It's a nice computer, but it runs hot. I was hoping to improve that as well.

Thank you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: October 10, 2019, 05:11:43 am »

Let's say I've a PC with two hard drives, each HD with a different operating system (win7, win10). Is there a way to set up dual boot without having to reinstall either?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: October 10, 2019, 05:27:05 am »

Yes.

Either one will support booting the other from their appropriate BCD.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ff541231(v=vs.96)

You would just add a BCD entry for which-ever drive you choose to be the secondary one, on the primary one.

EG, if the win10 disk is the primary, you would edit the win10 deployment's BCD with BCDedit (or one of the GUI utilities out there) to add the other drive as a bootable medium with an entry.  It would then show up in ntldr's menu with a countdown.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 05:29:34 am by wierd »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: October 13, 2019, 08:20:07 am »

Thanks, that might work, once I learn how to use it. Continuing my adventures with this particular system - I've a broadband connection on the computer. I need to configure it on the Win 10 partition (because I carelessly deleted the connection to stop updates while I'm setting up the dual boot). The owner does not know login&pass. The Win 7 partition has the connection working, the Win 10 one doesn't. Is it possible to read the login&pass somewhere from Win7 level?
The interwebz apparently only know about wifi, not broadband.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: October 13, 2019, 09:26:38 am »

Too vague.

login/pass for the wireless lan connection?

If so, YES--
https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/view-saved-wifi-passwords-windows/

If you mean "Active Directory username and password"
I'll have to look into that.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: October 13, 2019, 01:01:12 pm »

No, not the wifi connection. That one I know.
There's a wifi modem, but the PC is ancient and doesn't have a wifi adapter, so the connection goes through a cable. When you try to set up a new broadband connection in Win 10, you're asked for the l&p. That's what I need to extract from the Win 7 system.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 347