Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 492351 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3990 on: December 21, 2019, 11:40:04 pm »

I don't think they're duplicated. Keep in mind: a "process" isn't a "program". FireFox for example has about 8-9 processes running on my machine currently. One advantage of that is that if the process crashes, it doesn't take down the whole program. Plus its easier to optimize for machines with many cores if you have separate processes rather than everything in one process. Note that Windows divides the list into "Apps" and "Background Processes". One app may spawn a ton of background processes. For example, if you close an App and it stays in the system bar, that thing in the system bar is almost certainly a separate process.

COM Surrogate is just a shell to run dlls, you should expect there to be multiple of those. Right-click on the process and click Open File Location. They should all point to dllhost.exe in the Windows System32 directory. As for DropBox they're probably just different processes DropBox starts. It's normal for applications to make a bunch of processes. Try terminating all of them, then restart DropBox and see if it recreates them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 11:47:26 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: December 23, 2019, 06:37:03 am »

So, a thought occurs to me.

I have an old NAS that runs linux, just kinda sitting around.  Today, I learned of two projects.

First, https://sourceforge.net/projects/t38modem/

This is a SIP endpoint + Modem emulator that works for both linux and windows.

The second, https://www.ipcomms.net/freedid

which offers a free 2-USA-numbers SIP trunk service.

and third, Synchronet, an old BBS software for Linux. (and windows)

The thought:   Do you think I can reliably combine these to make a literally free (other than the ISP which I already pay for) retro BBS out of this?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:38:36 am by wierd »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: December 23, 2019, 03:21:07 pm »

I'd try it with two computers first, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: January 04, 2020, 10:24:01 pm »

So, a thought occurs to me.

I have an old NAS that runs linux, just kinda sitting around.  Today, I learned of two projects.

First, https://sourceforge.net/projects/t38modem/

This is a SIP endpoint + Modem emulator that works for both linux and windows.

The second, https://www.ipcomms.net/freedid

which offers a free 2-USA-numbers SIP trunk service.

and third, Synchronet, an old BBS software for Linux. (and windows)

The thought:   Do you think I can reliably combine these to make a literally free (other than the ISP which I already pay for) retro BBS out of this?

Keep us posted, that sounds interesting. And we might even be able to access it!

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: January 09, 2020, 07:40:15 pm »

Seems that the host site of my profile pic, "i.thinimg.com", is permanently down. Are there any other places, through which to host the pic? Imgur didn't work for me, for some reason.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: January 10, 2020, 12:09:15 am »

postimages.org

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: January 10, 2020, 07:20:19 am »

postimages.org
Thanks, uh, does it show now?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: January 10, 2020, 08:53:09 am »

postimages.org

Nope. It might need time/an event to get it to update. Normally, "turn it off and back on again" would work, but I don't know how you do that with a portion of a forum.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: January 10, 2020, 08:58:53 am »

You didn't copy the image's link. If you had been using Imgur, I'd have said you copied the equivalent of an album link. If you click share at the top and paste the "direct link" text into your avatar slot, it should show up.

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: January 10, 2020, 11:32:09 pm »

postimages.org

Nope. It might need time/an event to get it to update. Normally, "turn it off and back on again" would work, but I don't know how you do that with a portion of a forum.
You didn't copy the image's link. If you had been using Imgur, I'd have said you copied the equivalent of an album link. If you click share at the top and paste the "direct link" text into your avatar slot, it should show up.
I both waited, and copied the direct http link, and voilą! I'm not sure which one did the trick, but thanks, both of you!

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: January 11, 2020, 04:07:25 am »

Ms Excel: Crashes immediately as soon as I try to open any workbook.
Ms Office diagnostics: nO pRoBlEm DeTeCtEd

Well fuck you too Microsoft >:(

Anyway, what I know is that according to the error report, that someone had the bright idea to hide in the deepest pit of hell (event viewer) because fuck you end user for using our shit, there is some fault with "MSO.dll". Looking it up on the net didn't brought any solution yet despite people reporting similar errors with the same dll over the years.

Stuff the I tried:

Deleting that dll and downloading/creating a new one (it does one of the two automatically on starting the program if it didn't find it) did nothing. Excel still crashes.

Running excel in safe mode and disabling all add ins (basically just the solver) did not fix it. Even without the add ins it still crashes as soon as it starts.

Any ideas?

edit: Turns out that for some reason I can't disable the add ins. I 've tried to do it through safe mode (with and without admin rights) but it doesn't seem to register the change. Running it again in normal mode still crashes and running it in safe mode shows that Solver is still enabled.

edit2: Problem has been solved for now. Removing the old installation and installing it again has fixed it. I think that the whole problem was caused by the solver add in but I can't be sure. I guess I'll stick with Libre for when I need it since it has the solver function natively.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:40:00 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: January 11, 2020, 06:58:16 pm »

Ms Excel: Crashes immediately as soon as I try to open any workbook.
Ms Office diagnostics: nO pRoBlEm DeTeCtEd

Well fuck you too Microsoft >:(

You could try LibreOffice (calc).  At least that should tell you whether the problem is with Office or a system one.  Beware that MShit will probably go all HAL on you for not using it's in house spyware.  ;)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: January 12, 2020, 07:40:05 am »

I already use LibreCalc but thanks for the suggestion :)

Thing is it's quite clunkier than excel so while it does get the job done it's not ideal. Most importantly I 'm not the only user of that pc and the other one hates Calc with a passion.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: February 01, 2020, 11:16:35 pm »

Maybe it's not "Generic Computer Advice", but I'm not sure where else to put this:

Dead Rising 2 on Steam no longer runs when I attempt to run it. When I do try to run it, I get an error message about how the "side-by-side configuration" is incorrect.

On a related note, I think the redist files (you know, the ones that contain the version of DirectX and Visual Studio or whatnot that the game needs to run?) are no longer included in the game itself?

I've tried installing what I think are the right versions of DirectX (June 2012 and Visual Studio 2010, I think), installing on my SSD rather than my HDD, and even installing on a flash drive, but Steam continues to throw the "side-by-side configuration" error at me.

Can anyone help me? I just want to bash zeds (and crazy people) with chairs.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: February 02, 2020, 10:31:07 am »

Don't know about your specific problem, but steam moved the redist stuff out of each game to Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\  that's where I found the directx version to run Distant Worlds last time I installed...
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 347