Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 491770 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4005 on: February 02, 2020, 11:36:16 am »

That's an odd one. Those are only installer files anyway and not needed for the game to run. I delete that folder all the time in most installs because it just takes up space. Finally, after many years Steam has put them in one place and not dozens or hundreds? Nice.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: February 02, 2020, 03:52:39 pm »

Found the folder in question, but I've tried to run everything in there but the error persists.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: February 19, 2020, 05:56:08 am »

Having some trouble setting up CORS to work on Firefox after I had a drive failure and needed to reinstall the browser. I had it working before, to read comics on comic-rocket.com, but now I can't get it to work. Some comics shows as blank in the main frame. I've tried using add-ons such as CORS Everywhere because that's how I think I got this working before. (Example comic is SMBC which does this).

Anyone had to do anything similar and run into these issues?

In the Firefox browser console the error message comes up as

Code: [Select]
Security Error: Content at https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/heroism may not load data from http://www.comic-rocket.com/read/saturday-morning-breakfast-cereal/5242?mark.
But I'm pretty sure a CORS add-on fixed this for me in the first place.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: February 19, 2020, 01:52:28 pm »

I created an Excel sheet in whatever the previous version was, and now we have the newest version of Excel. "Surprisingly" that works poorly.

I protected the worksheet (not book, and without a password) under the previous version, and unprotecting can now apparently only be done on a cell-by-cell basis (based on my understanding of the help file, which is a misnomer) using a right-click menu entry that doesn't show up in the menu when I right-click.

Any idea how to fix this?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: February 19, 2020, 02:30:36 pm »

A solution like this?

The fun bit:
Quote from: that site
OpenOffice does not require the password.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: February 20, 2020, 05:51:59 am »

Have you run into this https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1264280 general issue (not specifically the font problem)?

Anyway try the fix from the chosen solution but beware it globally disables a 'security' measure.  Success? then think about a user called script to toggle.

(CORS Everywhere may also be needed.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: February 20, 2020, 06:07:19 am »

Have you run into this https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1264280 general issue (not specifically the font problem)?

Anyway try the fix from the chosen solution but beware it globally disables a 'security' measure.  Success? then think about a user called script to toggle.

(CORS Everywhere may also be needed.)

Thanks, that's one I didn't come across, but that hasn't helped either. The first thing I tried was CORS Everywhere, then the solution where you set "security.fileuri.strict_origin_policy=false", and I added that one from your link but still getting the error message, and the content frame as blank. Which is frustrating as hell because I've fixed this same issue before.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:08:53 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: February 21, 2020, 09:03:29 am »

A solution like this?

Yes! The review tab is where they have hidden the protect/unprotect stuff. It's good that the internet is more useful than the help file made by the people who put out Office (but almost certainly have never met the creators, or attempted to use the program).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: February 29, 2020, 12:04:02 am »

Thanks for the response about CORS before. I decided to give it another shot, and try different search terms. Turns out the required solution was to get the "Ignore X-Frame-Options Header" extension then the pages don't act like they're being loaded in a frame.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: March 01, 2020, 10:36:13 am »

So supposing it's time for me to upgrade my computer setup so I can actually play newer games. Supposing I had a roughly 1000 dollar (give or take) budget. Supposing I'm somewhat unknowledgeable about computer parts, enough to assemble them together if need be, but not enough to have an opinion on what's good or bad.

What would be a good bang for my buck here?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: March 01, 2020, 11:07:33 am »

What do you currently have? Might be able to reuse some components and spend the cash elsewhere.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: March 01, 2020, 11:19:28 am »

Atleast as far as processor and graphics card are concerned: AMD Athlon X4 760k Quad core processor and AMD Radeon HD 7700 series.

I can't remember the kind of motherboard I have, I'm not sure if that matters tbh, and I'd probably need to open up my tower to see what I have as far as power supply goes.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: March 01, 2020, 11:34:31 am »

That basically answers my unasked question. You could maybe eke out a 5% upgrade with a CPU replacement but that's probably not worth the cash. You'd be changing sockets to get any significant CPU improvement, which likely rules out reusing your RAM.

I can't really give suggestions right now except to say that now is probably the time to do massive upgrades. People are expecting Coronavirus-related hardware shortages and price increases in the near future.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: March 01, 2020, 11:46:06 am »

I have a tech savvy friend, and these three things was his first suggestion:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/617115/B731_Desktop_Computer;_Intel_Core_i7_9700_30GHz_Processor;_16GB_DDR4-2666_RAM;_500GB_SSD;_Intel_UHD_Graphics_630;_Windows_10_Pro;_10-100-1000_LAN__WiF

https://www.microcenter.com/product/502044/650_Watt_80_Plus_Gold_ATX_Semi-Modular_Power_Supply

https://www.microcenter.com/product/472016/GeForce_GTX_1050_Ti_Overclocked_Dual-Fan_4GB_GDDR5_PCIe_30_Video_Cards

And although he's a friend and means the best for me, I'd atleast like another opinion. I'd have to make a fairly sizable drive to the location where the store is, amounting for a 3 hour round trip, as one of the parts doesn't ship for whatever reason.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 347