Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 495289 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4050 on: March 18, 2020, 09:26:41 am »

We are being given GoToMyPC by our brilliant IT overlords, so we can work from home.

The instructions are simple: set it up by clicking the first link, add a computer using the second link.

The instructions omit the part where you need to install things, and maybe install different programs on the computer being accessed and the one doing the accessing. There is no way of knowing if it's already installed on my work computer, how to access it if it is, or how to get it installed on a locked-down work computer. IT is already gone. Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

Edit: I went into work to see what I could do with this whole work from home (which is already just...), and was not able to get anything to work. I have email and microsoft office. If I need anything else, they can figure that one out themselves.

Edit2: Nobody else got it to work, either. The new instructions we got told us both what we should have done, and how to un-fuck the install because everyone who tried to follow the original instructions screwed it up. The Simpsons promised this would be easier.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 01:39:14 pm by Iduno »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: March 20, 2020, 09:04:37 am »

My old PC has a Radeon R7 200 series GPU (R7 260X, specifically), and I'm tempted to remove it for the next owner (who only needs a serviceable office computer), because it makes the entire system unstable and crash, usually when the system is idling. Something about its drivers, I think. It's possible to install the beta drivers, but that comes with its own host of potential issues. It's also 6 years old, so I doubt AMD's gonna be releasing a stable version of those drivers soon.

I have 2 questions:
a) Should I remove it?
b) Were I to remove it, would this 2014 GPU have much value, were I to sell it? Does there exist any demand for this thing, given that it's 6 years old, and would probably get outperformed by something made today?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: March 20, 2020, 09:11:15 am »

I'd suggest removing it if you can't guarantee it's going to be stable.

Try removing the drivers and have Windows auto-detect, see if that helps. Maybe use a previous driver revision?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: March 20, 2020, 09:16:32 am »

My old PC has a Radeon R7 200 series GPU (R7 260X, specifically), and I'm tempted to remove it for the next owner (who only needs a serviceable office computer), because it makes the entire system unstable and crash, usually when the system is idling. Something about its drivers, I think. It's possible to install the beta drivers, but that comes with its own host of potential issues. It's also 6 years old, so I doubt AMD's gonna be releasing a stable version of those drivers soon.

I have 2 questions:
a) Should I remove it?
b) Were I to remove it, would this 2014 GPU have much value, were I to sell it? Does there exist any demand for this thing, given that it's 6 years old, and would probably get outperformed by something made today?

6 years and it makes the computer unstable to remove it? How much time do you think it would take to get the computer working again without the old card? The card is probably worth ~$65, according to a quick look at ebay. How much is your time worth?

You may also find it easier to replace with a cheap newer card instead of whatever on-board graphics it has (if the on-board still works), but that means taking time to find one that works with the system, and would require money for the new card.

Oh, I misread that removing it made it unstable. Nah, get rid of the problematic card and see if you can sell it.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: March 20, 2020, 11:56:25 pm »

It's possible to install the beta drivers, but that comes with its own host of potential issues. It's also 6 years old, so I doubt AMD's gonna be releasing a stable version of those drivers soon.

The driver options are here (current) https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r7-series/amd-radeon-r7-200-series/amd-radeon-r7-260x and here (older) https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-r7-series/amd-radeon-r7-200-series/amd-radeon-r7-260x if you are interested.

Were I to remove it, would this 2014 GPU have much value, were I to sell it? Does there exist any demand for this thing, given that it's 6 years old, and would probably get outperformed by something made today?

I don't think there is much demand in general, particularly as buying a second hand gpu is one of those things most people recommend against, but if you did manage to find a buyer you might get $20-50.

The other option would be to reuse it in another machine.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:59:51 pm by feelotraveller »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: March 25, 2020, 02:33:33 am »

I'm planning to upgrade my laptop's RAM by adding a Kingston memory module (part number KVR26S1958/8) to an empty slot. There's already another memory module from SK Hynix (part number HMA81GS6JJR8N-VK) in here. Two questions:
a) Are they compatible?
b) Will they run in dual-channel mode, given that the CPU in this laptop (an i5-9300H) supports dual-channel memory?

(If you're wondering why I'm not buying the exact same memory as came stock in the laptop, it's because SK Hynix is difficult to get here.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: March 25, 2020, 02:56:19 am »

for dual channel, you need identical modules.

So, replace both modules to be sure.

Otherwise, it should still work, just not in dual channel mode.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: March 25, 2020, 03:04:56 am »

That presents a problem for me, then. Would replacing the stock RAM module void the warranty on my laptop?

Also, out of curiosity, why do the modules need to be identical to run in dual-channel mode?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: March 25, 2020, 03:40:28 am »

The RAS/CAS latencies need to be identical, basically.

Also, modules must be the same size and density.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: March 25, 2020, 09:27:10 am »

Replacing RAM should not void your warranty but it is possible it will if the parent company is terrible. You would have to read the full warranty.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: March 25, 2020, 11:26:07 am »

In the US, at least, voiding somebody's warranty for that sort of thing is illegal, and the FTC started cracking down on it in 2018. "Warranty void if removed" stickers are explicitly called out as prohibited. I don't know what country the poster looking for advice is in, but it is still useful for anybody else to know. I suspect the EU has similar provisions, but I don't know for sure.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: March 25, 2020, 01:00:20 pm »

In the US, at least, voiding somebody's warranty for that sort of thing is illegal, and the FTC started cracking down on it in 2018. "Warranty void if removed" stickers are explicitly called out as prohibited. I don't know what country the poster looking for advice is in, but it is still useful for anybody else to know. I suspect the EU has similar provisions, but I don't know for sure.

The EU is usually more consumer friendly. Not always, but usually.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: March 27, 2020, 06:52:26 am »

I've been having a ton of hiccups when playing some games lately, so I went into Event Viewer to see if there was a clue there. I had a bunch of errors from "Intel Security Assistant", which I uninstalled. That seems to have significantly reduced the problem (so far), but there's also 150 events from Windows Error Reporting in the last hour. A quick skim suggests most of these are due to Windows Update failing for some reason, but the primary issue here is that I have the Windows Error Reporting service disabled, so how is it generating events in the first place?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: March 28, 2020, 02:03:00 am »

My GPU (an R7 260X) seems to be causing my old PC to be pegged at ~25% CPU usage at idle whenever it's installed. Also, the cursor flickers between the normal cursor and the 'loading' cursor, even at idle. I've checked, and it doesn't do any of this when the GPU is removed from the system. What is even happening here? Is this card inherently cursed to do random BS to me? First the crashing while not under load, now this?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: March 28, 2020, 02:05:34 am »

BLOATED DRIVERS.

Really. That's the real reason.  It's the reason why I wont use Radeon cards.
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 348