Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482997 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4245 on: August 30, 2020, 03:18:18 pm »

I get the Steam freeze a few times a month. Steam opens a bunch of daughter executables which you have to force close with the task manager. You can try opening it again but it usually won't work. A reboot might fix it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: August 31, 2020, 09:45:59 pm »

Simple question - could somebody explain the technical difference between these two videos?

#1: https://youtu.be/rxPRFQCGSgM
#2: https://youtu.be/HRXwzGh-FoY

The MVG video shoots my CPU usage into the stratosphere in Firefox (regardless of resolution), and the other does not. So I need to figure out what's different about them before I can track it down.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: August 31, 2020, 09:56:54 pm »

So the one that's a lot smaller at the same resolution is shooting up CPU usage? Perhaps it is that the smaller one uses more heavy duty compression, so your CPU is working harder doing that. Or it might be the codec, and that the bigger file is using your GPU more and the codec for the other file isn't hardware accelerated, so it's running as software decoded.

EDIT: I'll grab both files and dump some info with ffmpeg, it won't be much work.

EDIT2: had a look at both, couldn't see a whole lot of difference between these files sorry, nor did Firefox thrash on one but not the other for me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:22:38 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: August 31, 2020, 11:11:21 pm »

Note that one video (which works fine) is much, much longer than the other.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: September 01, 2020, 12:34:44 am »

EDIT2: had a look at both, couldn't see a whole lot of difference between these files sorry, nor did Firefox thrash on one but not the other for me.

Same here.  If anything the longer one used just a little more cpu for me, but hard to split the difference really.

Could it be a codec issue on the local machine?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: September 01, 2020, 01:30:42 am »

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Googling suggests a possible extension conflict, but I barely have any of those - just Ublock, a ROT13 decoder, and a forum extension for Something Awful. The only one of those that has any reason to interface with a Youtube video is uBlock, and disabling that had no effect. Do they require different codecs?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: September 01, 2020, 02:09:33 am »

(Jhl jbhyq lbh arrq n EBG-Guvegrra qrpbqre?)

I don't suppose you've also tested direct via youtube.com (?v=<stringything>) and other versions of the URI call? I know at one point they had some trouble with their redirection domain. Though not sure that did different things with the videos linking to, and probably completely fixed now anyway.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: September 01, 2020, 02:43:35 am »

V hfr n EBG-Guvegrra qrpbqre orpnhfr V sbyybj frireny oybtf jurer gung rapbqvat vf hfrq sbe fcbvyref va gur pbzzragf frpgvba (juvpu qba'g unir OOPBQR fhccbeg). Fb univat na vayvar qrpbqre vf unaql.

I've had this issue with videos straight from Youtube. This is just the first one I grabbed that showed the issue. Given that all the ones that have it are the tech-y sort, and the ones that work are very much of the non-technical sort, I'm assuming they're using some fancy encoding or something that my computer doesn't like, but I don't know enough about such things to track it down.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 02:45:16 am by Lord Shonus »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: September 01, 2020, 10:11:03 am »

You can also grab another copy of Firefox from portableapps and try running that without any add-ons. Might be easier than messing with your main install.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: September 01, 2020, 11:16:11 am »

If it comes to that "New Private Window" might suffice, or "Help | Restart with Add-ons Disabled" (or however you access Safe-Mode-y operation in your version of browser) at a push... If it's your browser persistant state[1] and you think it's not just the obvious plug-in extensions at fault but a little deeper still.

Having just recently suffered from the Android update of FF (as mentioned elsewhere) and the frankly ill-advised Chromalike change to its front end, I'm in no rush to see if the'yve gone and Fenixed-up the desktop version too, by connecting my various desktops to their updates, but has there been some sort of recent update (even minor) to whatever fork of browser you're on?

[1] Though third-party handlers installed separately, or even HALs, at a more basic level seem more likely given what you've said about your extensions. Or, furrfu, something's just generally SHONE.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: September 01, 2020, 02:15:38 pm »

Not that it proves anything but I use the Ublock extension and it didn't cause issues for me.  Not sure how you find the format/codec in use but if you want to experiment the K-Lite Codec Pack is worth a shot: https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm.  (Might be worth backing up your system first but should be safe enough.) The other potential culprit that springs to mind is hardware video acceleration.* 

*[Following comment not to be taken too seriously by Lord Shonus but link might be worth a quick squizz to assay the basic lay of the land]
If you were on the the superior Archlinux system this (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration) would be helpful but I guess youse 'doze users are on your own.  :P

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: September 02, 2020, 06:38:48 am »

Hey, guys, I need a recommendation for a video editor. I am perfectly fine with paying money but not ready yet to sell my soul to Adobe.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: September 02, 2020, 06:41:45 am »

The suggestions that could be made, hinge heavily upon what you want to do.

Are you talking, "stringing scenes together with color correction", or are you talking "Fancy VFX lighting, effects, CGI overlays, and other fun" ?

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: September 02, 2020, 08:05:15 am »

Well, honestly, the first one. A bit more complicated than that, actually but yeah, nothing over the top.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: September 02, 2020, 09:15:35 am »

For pure concatenation[1] of snippets of video into a long whole (though it's capable of much more), you could use ffmpeg (see one single-command method, though further up and down that page you can see scripty-based ones, or examples of intermediate processing by successive commands to achieve fragments of the task.  I think the winff package (GUI, but not with a "video editing suite" preview bit, available for not just Windows), that acts as intermediary to the pure command-line operation, might (more?) easily cover this, too.

It would cover "a bit more complicated than that" as well, like merging audio tracks, but you might find it not as easy as a drag-and-drop 'frames' style editor for just quickly shuffling resources around. Always handy to know you can do it, though, as it might cover functions that a very basic (but intuitively visual) "stringing scenes together" package misses out, as and when you discover the need.

[1] Though it won't necessarily work in all players, sometimes you can get away with just DOS binary concatenation, ie copy /b video1.ext+video2.ext+video3.ext videoAll.ext. Depends on how flexible/forgiving the later software is. No, stupid suggestion. Ignore. You have my better one already.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 347