Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 492716 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4335 on: November 22, 2020, 02:36:35 pm »

Of course it's going to say that, because you have to actually run something like a Windows' set up DVD to make a bootable drive.

Step 1 is to make a blank file that represents the c-drive, this is where your emulated OS will go. Blank drives don't count as bootable however so will give that error message even on a normal computer, not just in a VM. For example if you put a PC together yourself and put a blank hard-drive in there, you'll get the no bootable media error since it can't find a disk with an OS on it.

Step 2 is to mount that file as C-drive and mount your DVD or ISO image as the D-drive, then tell it that D-Drive is what you want to boot from. This step can take some fiddling, there will be options or different methods for how to mount the OS installer disk.

Step 3 is start the VM now, and it'll load whichever OS installer you mounted in Step 2. Then you'll get the normal install windows stuff. After that, you unmount the install disk and set the c-drive as the one to boot from, and you can run your new OS inside the VM. I really recommend starting with an older version of Windows however and not Linux for this, at least the first time. There may be Linux-specific issues that you get stumped with so getting to grips with doing Windows installs first at least means you'll know what's a VM issue and what's a specifically Linux issue.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:49:49 pm by Reelya »

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: November 22, 2020, 02:48:42 pm »

could you simplify that for a dumbass like me

also everytime i try to run Mac OS X i get stuck on startup.nsh
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: November 22, 2020, 02:52:37 pm »

Look up how to create virtual hard drive for VirtualBox

This makes an empty file, which represents a blank hard drive. Blank drives CANNOT be booted since they don't have anything in them.

Then there's a screen for drives in the VirtualBox settings for the new VM you're making. Set the blank "drive" file as C-drive and set some OS installer as D-Drive, tell it to boot from D-Drive

Then you run the VM and it'll run the installer

After it's done, you shut down the VM, then edit settings to remove the installer disk and set C as the main drive.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:55:09 pm by Reelya »

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: November 22, 2020, 02:54:13 pm »

Look up how to create virtual hard drive for VirtualBox

This makes an empty file, which represents a blank hard drive. Blank drives CANNOT be booted since they don't have anything in them.

Then there's a screen for drives in the VirtualBox settings for the new VM you're making. Set the blank "drive" file as C-drive and set some OS installer as D-Drive, tell it to boot from D-Drive

Then you run the VM and it'll run the installer

After it's done, you shut down the VM, then edit settings to remove the installer disk and set C as the main drive.

okok i try this
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: November 22, 2020, 03:11:09 pm »

Failed to open image 'C:\Users\Archimedes\Downloads\VM.vhd' for writing due to wrong permissions (VERR_VD_IMAGE_READ_ONLY).
PIIX3 cannot attach drive to the Primary Master (VERR_VD_IMAGE_READ_ONLY).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: November 22, 2020, 03:51:03 pm »

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37593209/virtualbox-doesnt-open-error-verr-vd-image-read-only

Right click on the .vdi file . Click on properties . Just uncheck Read only . And start VirtualBox with administrator priviligies. This done the trick for me . :)

I only got this by googling the error message you got, that's how you solve this type of problem. If the first Googled solution doesn't work, read down the page and try other listed solutions, if that fails look further down the google search results. It really is this simple, there's no magic trick where I know this stuff and you don't. Merely google whatever error messages you get, because that's all I'm doing 99% of the time.

I googled "failed to open image for writing due to wrong permissions" just chopping out the actual file name, since that part will be specific to you.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 03:53:55 pm by Reelya »

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: November 22, 2020, 04:22:35 pm »

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37593209/virtualbox-doesnt-open-error-verr-vd-image-read-only

Right click on the .vdi file . Click on properties . Just uncheck Read only . And start VirtualBox with administrator priviligies. This done the trick for me . :)

I only got this by googling the error message you got, that's how you solve this type of problem. If the first Googled solution doesn't work, read down the page and try other listed solutions, if that fails look further down the google search results. It really is this simple, there's no magic trick where I know this stuff and you don't. Merely google whatever error messages you get, because that's all I'm doing 99% of the time.

I googled "failed to open image for writing due to wrong permissions" just chopping out the actual file name, since that part will be specific to you.

Thank You so much for the help if i had any money i would pay you but this is fucking impossible

i dont know if this is asking too much but is there some way you could send me everything i need for the VM im using Oracle VM and my email is archimedeswojak@gmail.com

Thank You so so much for the help but i dont have the patience for this

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: November 22, 2020, 04:32:28 pm »

It's not possible to "send you everything you need" to an email address. Really, the way everyone does this stuff is just by trying stuff and if you get error messages you google the messages and read any articles that come up, especially stackoverflow results.

Other than that you just google a bunch of tutorials "how to set up virtualbox" or similar. If one tutorial doesn't work out and you can't work out what to fix by googling any errors that come up, you merely read different tutorials and see if they have different steps or some "aha" stuff written that explains something the other tutorial didn't explain that is relevant.

Then, as a result of fucking up enough you get to the point where you have some working VM files and you can play around with them and eventually you get better at trouble-shooting them.

Keep in mind however that you can copy the virtual drive files that you get working and keep them around as backups. So once you get your first working one - say a Windows XP virtual machine since they're very small and simple, make a copy of the HDD file somewhere and don't fuck with it, keep it as a "master copy" in case shit goes bad with your current install. And if you need to make different XP VMs later, you copy those from your already made "fresh" one.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:36:09 pm by Reelya »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: November 22, 2020, 04:35:54 pm »

Are ya tryna put Windows in a VM? You can put Linux in a VM, probably easier. From Ubuntu website you just download an .iso image, then in virtualbox attach it to the optical disk (or whatever's first in your boot order.)
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: November 22, 2020, 04:37:24 pm »

I was suggesting to put an old Windows XP or something in there if he's not familiar with Linux already, since that separates dealing with Linux-specific issues from stuff that's more general to VMs.

And I'm not sure if Seamless Mode in VirtualBox works with Linux like that, but you can definitely use Windows app in a VM as if they're native (seamless means there's no separate desktop, the VM programs look like they're running on your regular desktop).

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: November 22, 2020, 04:38:48 pm »

I haven't had much trouble with putting Ubuntu in a VM. It was pretty straightforward. I followed the Ubuntu step by step dialog in virtualbox.

Though I didn't have much file sharing. You'd need to set that up separately, but if you were just browsing you wouldn't even need to.

The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #4346 on: November 22, 2020, 05:01:16 pm »

-
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:55:34 am by ArchimedesWojak »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: November 22, 2020, 05:20:17 pm »

You don’t need one. Not a real one anyway. What you do is you connect the virtual optical disk to the .iso file on your hard disk through virtualbox. Then when the os in the vm reads from what seems to it is like an optical disk it’s reading from that file.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: November 22, 2020, 05:21:54 pm »

You don’t need one. Not a real one anyway. What you do is you connect the virtual optical disk to the .iso file on your hard disk through virtualbox. Then when the os in the vm reads from what seems to it is like an optical disk it’s reading from that file.

ok how do i do that

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: November 22, 2020, 05:26:54 pm »

In virtualbox settings for the vm, I think you go to storage or something like that, and there should be an option for the optical disk to connect it to the file.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 347