Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494264 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4395 on: December 09, 2020, 05:46:29 pm »

Apparently many of my games are failing to create a Direct3D device or something, and wants me to upgrade my drivers. (Or turn down my display resolution, but it didn't work). So, I might sound like an extreme idiot posting this but, uh, how exactly do I do this?

Are this old games? You might need to install DirextX9 alongside the modern one.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: December 09, 2020, 06:11:46 pm »

Just putting this out there, in case anybody else has noted this. If I can cross-correlate with some other sufferer's experience I can maybe either accept it or go further in reporting it to the developer(s) concerned.

Warning: Long and dense. You could just skip past it, as it's not a response to anyone else's problem.  :P

Setup is...
Browser: Firefox for Android (does not happen on Chrome, ditto)
On-screen keyboard: Default Gboard, with long-standing visual/etc changes that predate this issue (since then, have done limited testing with other on-screen keyboards, but they behave differently in everyday use so not stuck with long)
Sites: Various places with textbox input, but notably Bay12Fourms under SMF because it's by far the biggest usage case.

Since the Firefox update this sumner that junked the page-tabs (horrible design decision, it also forced Android's native header and footer 'bars' to always be on, so the screen-space it saved got more than used up again for net loss) I've been having recurring niggles that I'm inclined to believe is a Firefox issue (not keyboard or SMF's javascript handlers, for example).

Typing away, as I am now, I might get a recurring word/string of characters in some buffer or other. Typically, it seems to have been something I typed then backspaced back to the prior spacebar (easier than repositioning the cursor on a touchscreen, when I want to insert a word so recently, or head up a different direction of sentence). From then on, until some arbitrary point up to the posting of a message being so typed (occasionally before that, during actual cursor-moving editing, but not always) whenever I re-spacebar while at the 'end' of the text I'm typing, that mysteriously buffered string gets appended. Each. Time. After the cursor (you can edit the 'paste' out) so that if it struck after "The quick brown fox jump over" is edited to "The quick brown fox jumps over" the final (uncorrected) text would be something like "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. overoverover" by the time the "." and the next space is typed.

These days, I tend to linefeed the 'spare' repeated text away down a line or two, so the cursor can be placed not at the very end of the regular text (which the repeated rebuffered word does not count for, so I suspect it's an issue involving the effective cursor position moving back upon a deletion event, but the memory-structure holding the usually expanding text-string has a misaligned pointer position. Having done so, I can do a final edit to remove the 'overflow', although I have at times posted text forgetting to do this, leaving (something like) "overoveroverover" as a final nonsensical line, until I realised and re-edited it out (sometimes quick enough to have SMF not even mark as an edited post).

I was prompted to post this when I had a sightly different variant that has some of the same effects but not quite. I wished to italicise a word in a post, so highlit the last word typed in and went up to the "I" button[1], to markup with the [i][/i] surrounds. But accidentally (bounced my finger?) activated the URL-tag button too, for a nested tagging I didn't want. Not sure which way I edited it down again (instinctively), but I did. But then whatever I typed onward (appended after the closing [/i]) would immediately relocaten (dragging the text cursor position back) to just before the end-italics tag after each new space. I tried several things to unmunge it[2], but the first that worked was to Preview the post and continue the editing in the new (prepopulated) instance of the textbox now visited.

So whatever the memory-mangle involved, that aspect got chucked while refreshing to the new page (site back-end code or browser page-session data applying) rather than linked somehow to the exact string of lead-up text activating some form of auto-correct aspect, when I don't have much more than "after a ./?/! and space, default back to upper for the next character"[3] active.

It is, of course, a bit of a Heisenbug. I can't command it to happen. Sometimes I manage to un-happen it, before finishing with the exiting, without even my identified getaround (put some other whitespace in there, then edit at a position prior to that whitespace), though the rare de-happening occasionally then re-happens later in the current missive. Either with the original recurring string (popping back up, without any re-use, so 'remembered') or a new one (a novel string drawn from what was typed just before it 're'happened, which might just be a new and independent bug-bit flipping, or whatever prompts it).

So, anyway... I doubt that too many others get this form of electronic-Tourettes. For one thing, I blame the updated Firefox for Android (in the early days of this incarnation I scanned their bug-report pages, but there were so many bugs/niggles/requests/suggestions/complaints upon the major version change that it was impossible to identify anything that related to this, and I never got round to signing on myself to place a competent set of bug-reports of my own) even after several further bugfix/operability updates, but I imagine that this isn't a setup (or platform) relevent to almost all those who would read this. If it was SMF's internal javascript handling that somehow changed last summer (though the sitecode surely has not, for much much longer!) I'd expect many would have mentioned it without me needing to ramble on about it like this... ;)

But putting it here, in sight of various (other?) clever people, just in case it rings bells for anyone. If it doesn't now, maybe it'll do so at a later date. Until 'sorted" I shall continue to deal with it, of course. Or eventually stop using this particular setup altogether.

[1] Gboard doesn't have the slash key on the 'front' keyboard I use, except when editing something like an address. In cases like this I'd have to switch to the (primary) punctuation keyboard, even though I've got all kinds of other common punctuation (including square, curly and regular brackets, the pipe symbol and even the backslash as easy long-press characters available, as configured. Very strange that it gives the backslash but not the foward one. That's not an issue I'm bothered about, but I still find it remarkable, hence this remark about it. ;)

[2] Including inserting new bare open/close-italics tags within the old 'filled' open/close then editing out the new (second) opener and old (second) closer, thinking that might de-confuse whatever character-handler was being confused, during edit. It didn't, which reinforces my "*something something something* memory text array pointer" idea, as the 'false' ending will be incremented and decremented normally to keep it just as 'wrong'.

[3] Of course, the "a" in "and" in that sentence had to be forced back to lower. As does anything where other punctuation only (like these parenthises!) Feature in and so made that 'f' uppercase, that I didn't force lower. Again, a quirk of (at least) Gboard, but at least one that always happens.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: December 11, 2020, 12:30:32 pm »

I've been thinking about upgrading my pc lately. Mostly it's about getting some more ram and maybe a dedicated gpu. On the ram front, I'm almost sure i'm going to need more eventualy and there is a real possibility* that by then I won't be able to find anything compatible. On the gpu front, I'm not sure if it's even worth it, with my budget** I could get a 1050 ti or a 1650 or something in that range and it will be better than what I already have, still they are quite old already.

Current specs:

i5-6500
Intel HD 530 (intergrated on the cpu)
8gb ram 2133MHz
600W PSU (I was planning to buy a dedicated gpu sooner but alas..)

Usage:

Gaming:
From a graphics standpoint, the occasional kenshi session is probably the most demanding. Still my current graphics solution doesn't really cut it and I'd like to have some more power in case a newer game picks my interest.

General stuff:
I do use the computer for various work related tasks which can vary from just a couple of open tabs in my browser to tens of them plus excel plus solver plus whatever document I might need. It's been ok thus far but a bit more ram would be nice.

Potential needs:
I've been thinking about picking up 3d modeling (blender) as a hobby. Definitely not for professional work.

What do you think?

*I can hardly find 30 different options for 2133 ddr4 ram sticks these days and my MB/cpu doesn't support any other frequency other than this and 1866 ddr3.

** With my current useage I can't really justify the price for newer/better gpus than these.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: December 11, 2020, 02:05:06 pm »

Knowing your motherboard would make it easier to comment :) Although, based on your processor and RAM frequency, I guess your motherboard uses DDR4.

For RAM it shouldn't matter if the MHz is higher than supported. Better RAM should work just fine even in older systems, as long as it's the correct DDR-number. Wrong DDR won't fit the motherboard. I guess you currently have two sticks of ram, i.e. 4+4 gb, and your motherboard probably has 4 slots and two channels? You could just buy the cheapest 8 gb you can find to bring you to 16 gb, which should be enough for your needs (unless you seriously start to use Blender, but I'd suggest a whole new system for that.). Just make sure to install the same RAM in the same channel. They are usually labeled A and B.

I don't know that much about GPUs but, if I've understood the Intel integrated graphics correct, it should use up to half of your system memory (i.e. RAM), starting from 5th generation processors. Yours is 6th gen. Doubling RAM should double the amount of RAM available to your integrated graphics. So, maybe for you it's best to upgrade the RAM first, and if you are still not happy how Kenshi runs, then see about getting a dedicated GPU. I think even a 1050 or 1650 would still be better than an integrated one, so if you'd still like more juice for Kenshi, or something else, getting one should improve things.

In case you want to do more than little 3D modeling, you'll want as many CPU threads and GPU cores (CUDA cores for NVidia) as possible, which isn't cheap. Also, AFAIK, 64 gb of RAM is suggested for more serious modeling. Speaking as someone with 4 threads, integrated graphics, and 8 gb of RAM, I can say that small Blender projects work fine, although rendering times are longer than I'd like :). (I've been looking into this stuff because I'm getting myself a new PC that will be able to handle Blender a lot better.)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: December 11, 2020, 03:15:33 pm »

You are correct. The MB is an ASRock H170 Pro4S and it uses ddr4 at 2133, 4 slots overal with 2(*4GB) occupied.

As I said the blender stuff is mostly a potential hobby, a curiosity if you will. After spending hours trying to find weapon/armor mods for whatever game I happened to play, it just picked my interested. I don't have any experience on the matter but I doubt i'll go for any big projects (and in that case I should be looking to buy a better pc anyway).

About the gpus, according to some benchmarks all but the most low end stuff, should outperform my intergrated one and by a wide margin. It's just that since I haven't kept up with modern games I just don't know if getting such a card is going to be useful in the future or if it is already obsolete.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: December 11, 2020, 11:41:40 pm »

The 10XX cards are essentially obsolete. Not only are they two generations old now, but the 30XX cards (when available at MSRP) are cheaper than their direct 10XX analogs. The most recent generation of games, starting with Cyberpunk 2077, are effectively beyond what the 10s can do.

I'd suggest upgrading your RAM for now, and then getting a 3060 or ATI equivalent (don't know what that would be - ATI/AMD sucked for so long I lost track of them before they started getting good again) in 2d6 months when the market dies down a bit.

Also, the English phrase is "piqued my interest", not "picked my interest", for reference.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: December 12, 2020, 04:32:02 am »

The 30xx series are out of my reach by default, I don't have any PCie 4.0.  About the prices, in my part of world, both the 20xx and the 30xx series are way too expensive, costing 4-10 times more than a  10xx/16xx 4GB card.

I'll probably just go for some extra ram and maybe save up for a new pc altogether. Squeezing some extra life/power from my current pc is a nice train of thought but it is futile at this point, at least for gaming.

I didn't know it was "piqued", thanks for the correction.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: December 12, 2020, 04:59:14 am »

The 30xx series are out of my reach by default, I don't have any PCie 4.0.

PCIe 4.0 isn't a necessity even for the RTX 3080. Admittedly, I'm mostly skimming through this Gamers Nexus video comparing PCIe 4.0 and 3.0 on the 3080 (no article version, it seems), but, given the same setup, but one has PCIe 4.0, the other with PCIe 3.0, there's no statistically-significant difference between the two most of the time. Granted, the 3.0 one is always below the 4.0 one, but it's a 1% difference if it even exists. Only time there was a difference greater than "run-to-run variance" was in Quake II RTX, and that was a 3% gap.

A system running PCIe 3.0 and a 3080 won't suffer a performance loss due to PCIe bandwidth bottlenecking most of the time, is what I'm getting at.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: December 12, 2020, 05:15:30 am »

Wait.. you can put them in a pcie 3.0 slot?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: December 12, 2020, 11:31:00 am »

PCIe uses the same connector across all 4 (as of this writing) generations. My understanding (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong) is that if the PCIe generations of the motherboard and GPU (more generally, PCIe device) don't match, the BIOS (probably UEFI by now, but let's not split hairs) uses the lowest of the two. If the GPU goes up to PCIe 4, but the mobo only does PCIe 2, it still works at PCIe 2.0 (hence why you can use really new GPUs on a Pentium 4, as ill-advised such a thing is). There's the whole issue of PCIe bandwidth bottlenecks, but at least it works.

Small caveat, though. If the GPU only supports UEFI, and the mobo only supports legacy BIOS, it will not work. The BIOS can't see the UEFI card, so it can't do anything with it. This is bad if your system requires a GPU for video output. There's some workarounds you can use; Phil's Computer Lab demonstrated one method where you plug in a BIOS-supporting GPU into the system with the UEFI GPU.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: December 22, 2020, 05:24:21 pm »

Previous, I deleted software that was required to run my previous headset's mic.
I was unable to reinstall it because windows is like 'Never allow reinstalling audio drivers'
that's just the way it is with audio drivers I think.

Now I have a new Bluetooth headset to replace it.
After running for a few hours, Windows 10 crashes.
also, if I'm using discord, I can't always hear sound from non-discord sources.
The error is something about:
GPC_Watchdog_Violation

What should I do? technically I can just not use the headset, but I need something that allows me to chat with people.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 05:26:41 pm by eerr »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: December 27, 2020, 08:53:17 am »

I'm planning to buy a new SSD tomorrow. I'm going to transfer all my data from my old SSD into the new one. I have some games of questionable origin in there, so Windows has a tendency to mark them as malware. What's the safest way to transfer all of these files over without having Windows annoy me with 'malware detected' messages?

I do have at least one thumb drive I can run utilities/other OSes off, so that's a class of options. What would be the lightest thing I could use to copy my files over, in that case? Ubuntu 18.xx and older don't like my laptop very much, probably due to the newness of the hardware, so I need something that's up-to-date.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: December 27, 2020, 09:19:06 am »

Boot a linux USB stick, and use DD to do a raw sector copy of the original SSD to the new one.

Put in the new SSD, and start windows.
Use diskutil to grow the partition to match the drive's size.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: December 28, 2020, 06:25:30 pm »

If you dont want to bother with linux, simply zip/rar the files with a password and pass them over with the thumbdrive. However once you open them on the new disk windows will bother you.

The best would be to find the  games on a less shady way? If may I interject, gog installer files are a better source of games if they are there. However is better to actually buy from gog.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: December 31, 2020, 05:57:20 am »

I booted Lubuntu (which is what I had on hand) to look at the partitions on my SSD, and I saw this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

a) Why is there a Microsoft reserved partition before the main partition?
b) Do I have to clone the Microsoft reserved partition in addition to the main partition onto my new SSD?
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 348