Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482990 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4440 on: January 09, 2021, 04:35:31 pm »

More than likely, his CD is not bootable.

He should grab a win98 EBD from bootdisks.com, then use it to boot the virtual machine. Use DOS FDISK to set up the partition, and format the volume, then run the installer.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: January 10, 2021, 10:23:04 am »

Yes I tried PCem before trying virtual box and in both cases it was the windows install "disk" iirc. I might give it another shot one day.

Anyway I'm a bit confused about fans and their voltages etc, and kinda done spending money on experiments. Do all PWM fans support the same voltage range? Should I happen to pick a fan that was intended to go in a normal computer, will it have female ends on the cables (like for a gpio header)?
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: January 10, 2021, 12:32:17 pm »

A PC fan should be either 5v or 12v.  It should say on the sticker.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: January 10, 2021, 01:27:50 pm »

Yes ok thanks, damn webshops with their confusing filters... Ugh I know for a fact it would be possible to stick it into my old case if I make the middlepart higher by like 2-3 centimeters, if I'm smart I should also be able to have mostly no cables sticking out of rev2.... but damnit one doesn't just get to order cables at the exact right length with really small plugs, or fans with the holes for the screws at special places or stuff like that... And if I go printing a ton of parts to "organize" the inside, the height is gonna evolve into shoebox formfactor and that would just be ridiculous...

And just doing the exact same case with the exact same flaws, except a bit taller, seems stupid and lowballing the whole project, I am so fucking close to actual comfort of use. Fuck guess I'm not done sitting here and just looking at the damn case rev1 and googling for datasheets, holding like cardbox samples against the case.
let

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: January 13, 2021, 08:28:13 pm »

So, I've had the wildest time trying to install update 20h2 (October Update) for Win10. It usually throws a bluescreen (page fault in nonpaged area) error and then reverts itself. I had a similar issue with a previous update, the solution was to disable my motherboard audio drivers from safe mode, then install further updates, and I would be able to re-enable the drivers without bluescreen. Simple enough.

For 20H2, it tries to install and then reverts the update after bluescreening. However, I had a lot of trouble even getting into safemode. My solution was to use install media to force a safe mode boot after the first bluescreen, but before it restarted and automatically reverted the update. This time, it made things worse. At the login screen, I get the message "there was a problem with your pin". Clicking "enter pin" gives a prompt to download a program from the microsoft store (presumably the login service) which immediately fails. I have not found anyone else on the internet who has encountered this problem. There is NO option to log in with a password instead. I know the password is still tied to the account because I need to use the password for a command line boot, which works. However, I have not been able to find a way to fix the pin problem from the command line. I was able to use bcdedit to get it out of safe mode, but this did not resolve the issue. Now I seemingly have no way of reverting the update (or even checking if the update is actually installed) or logging in, and my options from the login screen or command line are limited.

I also tried a system restore on two system restore points, both of which failed.

So, if anyone knows a way to fix this particular problem, or forcibly create a new login/disable the pin, I'd love it. I do have access to the system files from another operating system.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: January 30, 2021, 07:26:57 pm »

Is there a way to win+r (run) "netplwiz" ?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 07:53:05 pm by dragdeler »
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: January 30, 2021, 07:48:57 pm »

I speak only for myself in that I'm confused by the question.

I know that one can do exactly as you ask, assuming you're on a system with it/appropriate user access to it (though prob. need to "Run As Administrator"/whatever). Is the access issue your problem?

(Also, highly presuming Win10. Can't test my own Win10 system because I don't have one, or working access to anyone else's. But if you're into expanding on the question, maybe the person who is Win10ed up would appreciate knowing this.  Good luck, and sorry if this looks like a lot of wordy nothingness.)

edit: Ok, I'm stupid. I read drag's answer to the long-unanswered prior issue as a brand new issue/question out of nowhere.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 09:48:45 pm by Starver »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: January 30, 2021, 07:56:42 pm »

Is there a way to win+r "netplwiz" ?
You mean open the Run dialogue and type in "netpwiz"? I mean, I did that in Windows 10, and got this as an Administrator-level user:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: January 30, 2021, 08:46:47 pm »

Sry yes that's what I meant, it should help right? The issue is wether he'll be able to get in there in the first place

...and type in "netpLwiz"...

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 08:49:35 pm by dragdeler »
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: January 30, 2021, 09:51:51 pm »

FYI, I just struckthrough my post, and added why. Reading miscomprehension/disassociation/whatever. Carry on carrying on...

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: January 30, 2021, 10:11:20 pm »

Sry yes that's what I meant, it should help right? The issue is wether he'll be able to get in there in the first place

Checking back, it turns out that I put in "netplwiz" to get to that menu as intended, but when I came back to type it here, I omitted the all-important L. Oops. At least it's not like web addresses where if you mistype something, you end up with 40 different viruses on the computer. Windows just tells you off and tells you it doesn't exist. Now, if there exists typo-squatting malware for Windows commands... that would be absolutely devious. Imagine making a mistake and it just formats the entire drive. There's Suicide Linux, but I wanna see Suicide Windows.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 10:15:28 pm by methylatedspirit »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: February 03, 2021, 07:48:40 am »

Does anybody know how to change the extraction location of nvidia drivers? I'm fucking tired of these folders allways disorganising my download folder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the only thing the search machine is willing to spit out is a bunch of idiots who don't want to install their drivers on the C drive  >:(.
let

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: February 03, 2021, 01:11:58 pm »

The official nvidia installer decompresses to the C drive C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\XXX.XX  and then it installs after that.
I have no clue how yours is set up. The installer should ask where to decompress everything. If you're using custom versions of the drivers then I don't have an answer for you.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: February 03, 2021, 10:52:26 pm »

It did ask the first time, but ever since it will put these empty folders at the place I told him, and doesn't ask anymore :(
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: February 03, 2021, 11:40:32 pm »

This is part and parcel with that "The user is too stupid to do the needful, so we will do everything for them-- Isn't that GREAT!?" trend.

Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 347