Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 495222 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4485 on: March 12, 2021, 03:22:58 am »

Have you tried plugging it into a different computer then having that computer defrag the drive?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: March 12, 2021, 07:49:43 am »

Yes, no luck.
Tried hooking up the drive using an IDE to SATA adapter & SATA power cable to 2 other PCs, one XP and one Win10.
Neither would recognize that a drive was present.
Tried the Device Manager, no luck.
So I tried the same with the bad PC's second drive, which is known to work. Not recognized.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: March 12, 2021, 08:10:25 am »

just HOW important is the data on that drive?

LordBaal is right; Since it is not making the click of death, the platter and read-head are probably still OK, you likely have a toasted controller board.  Replacing the controller board with that from an identical drive, has a chance of letting you get at that data.

The question is if you are willing to go that far to get it or not.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: March 12, 2021, 08:17:40 am »

As an absolute last resort, like just before you're about to give up and chuck it in the trash, you might try putting the drive in the freezer:  A quick search shows https://www.thetechmentor.com/posts/put-your-hard-drive-in-the-freezer-to-recover-data/ looks fairly reasonable.

I did this once like 10 years ago with a drive that died with the "click of death" symptom, and it did work long enough to get the few semi-important files off that had changed since I last backed it up.   I would not have tried it on a drive with important irreplaceable files, but I had fairly recent backups and wanted to see if I could recover the few days of  notes and savegames since then, and it was not a catastrophe if it completely killed the drive because the stuff on there wasn't important enough to try or pay for any further recovery.

Warnings:   It can damage the drive further.   If it does work, it's not a fix you have time measured  in minutes to get the important stuff copied off.  Don't plan on being able to do it over and over, whatever deteriorated to kill it is probably still happening and there's no reason it might not keep getting worse.   Some files could be corrupted, be prepared because that's fairly common with old failing drives.  Try absolutely everything else first.  Good luck.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: March 12, 2021, 08:24:07 am »

I've appreciated all the advice, guys.
Replacing the board is not something I would do, so it's probably time to just give up on the drive.  Freezing... maybe.
Let's call this issue closed. If I fix it some day, I'll probably post back.
 :)
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: March 12, 2021, 10:21:28 am »

On the other hand I once fixed a graphics board baking it on the oven.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: March 13, 2021, 03:32:57 am »

What problem that doesn't involve breaking it could be solved by putting it in the oven?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: March 13, 2021, 03:47:56 am »

dry solder joints.

These happen for a number of reasons, but the major ones are "Component thermal flexing during IR oven cure process", and "Insufficient soak time in IR oven".

Most printed circuit boards use a mechanically screen printed solder paste, onto which individual discrete components and ICs are placed using a Pick and Place machine.  They are then placed into an IR curing oven, which flash-heats the circuit board to melt the solder and make it flow on the circuit board's contact pads.

If the components flex during this process, they bend up and away from the solder pad as the solder is cooling, causing cracks and voids in the solder joint.  Likewise, if there is insufficient time in the IR oven, the solder is not flowed sufficiently, and the joins are poor quality.

Your average consumer does not have a flash-heating IR oven.  They MAY however, have a nice electric range oven that they can set the circuit board into to re-flow the solder with using another "IR Oven Treatment" (ahem).

It is usually preferable to use a small nozzle hot air SMD gun rather than an electric range, and to only spot-treat where the bad joins are-- OR, to use a proper hot-work workstation that has a proper IR annealing oven.  BUT, unless you fix A LOT of electronics for a living, those are expensive bits of kit.  The electric range oven is something a good many people have to make dinner with, and thus probably have on hand.

The more you know.

For a recent high-profile example of dry solder joints, would be the infamous "Red Ring of Death" from the XBOX360's lifecycle.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:00:59 am by wierd »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: March 13, 2021, 06:39:51 am »

Exactly, as wierd points out, is basically re-soldering whatever solder point migth have gone bad. First you disarm the whole thing removing anything plastic like the fans and cables. Then shove it on the oven. In my case I used a gas oven. It went with it a cake pan and over 4 cubes made of aluminium so it did not touch the hot surface directly.

It was an old Gforce 980, I remember being top-notch equipment back in the day but at that point it was already old. It worked perfectly for a while until it failed again, then it was replaced because I was not basically homeless back then and could afford the eventual hardware replacement
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: March 23, 2021, 07:15:56 am »

Firstly, I was inexplicably hit last night (with no apparent Android updates) with what seems to be a a widespread issue of the WebView component of some apps causing crash-outs, and as it took a while to find out why, I thought I'd post this info. (Horrible website, as it tries to work on my Android browser, but the content when get past the Cookie popover stuff summarises nicer than other places I checked.)

Oddly, it does not appear to stop my Chrome browser, as advertised (and Firefox is OK) but it has rendered most of the entertainments on here (a couple of Idle-type games, Hill Climb Racing, etc) unusable. I imagine others may still be stumped, though, so in case they're currently reading this... Here you are.

And now a long bit with an apology at the end, on a¿n unrelated? problem that I also want to get off my chest...

On Android issues, though, I'm also getting today a lot of editing problems in places such as this here Post Reply textbox. Does not generally seem to be restricted to Firefox (though so far today I haven't had it happen in Chrome yet), nor this site (I can't find page-script reasons for it going wrong, either) and I've only ever encountered it on Android platforms, infrequently, but today it seems that every other textbox editing seems subject to it. I'm mostly blaming it on the interface with the on-screen keyboard (I've changed it in the past, but not conclusively ruled out ot happens on others... and it takes so long to get used to a subtly different implementation as well).

The most common (prior) symptom hasn't happened today, but seems related to some internal buffer-pointer value going wrong. If editing away, appending further characters, I decide to backspace a few characters (error or changed mind) very occasionally those few characters - or something similar - seem to be 'remembered' and then after every space I type as I continue this 'strange buffer' (it's not the paste-buffer) is appended to the stream of text, post-cursor. It can be deleted or not, it matters neither way, but further examples are further postpended to the cursor position whilst I'm still (nominally) tapping in to the end of my regular text. Thus if "end" is the rogue text I might end up with "A sentence with rogue text at the.|endendendendend" with "|" being the cursor position. Moving the edit-cursor away from the (intended, non-rogue) end-of-text position negates this, so one solution is to forget the last (proper) word, for now, insert it anew in front of itself and continue, then delete out the old last word and whatever "endendend"s I'd left for the duration. Another 'solution', available in this forum, is to Preview (reloads the page) which resets the behaviour to forget the 'autoappending strange-buffer', and might convince me it's a forum-code error if it weren't happening elsewhere (and never happening under Windows). In this instance I can also avoid it by never backspacing, at least not from the end-of-text position, but editing just the bit I would have backspaced to, despite being sometimes more fiddly.

It smells of an error in the cursor-position offset vs text-memory, a clash of secondary storage with buffer underflow/overflow mismatching that something is trying to reconcile by taking the 'missing' text from the buffer/character-array that did not remember the backspacing and concatenating to the character-array currently being used in the visible textbox. But only when a spacebar (perhaps certain other non-letter characters, maybe LF too?) is tapped, which implies it is closely tied to some embedded subsystem that like to recognise word-boundaries, such as a spill-chucker, or maybe Google's thing that spies on what I type to 'facilitate' future ad/search results.

The other related fault, which is actually the only one experienced today, but at a significantly greater rate than before, is interaction with the markup buttons (B I U S, etc, above)... in fact it happened on both B and I examples just there, and I switched to keyboard markup to do U and S (annoyingly, backslash is a long-press, but forward-slash needs a keyboard-change to reach!) rather than havs to Preview the error away. Operationally, if I have selected text and click the Italics or other tag, it encloses the selected text with said tag. Without selected text it surrounds the cursor. And both ways should allow normal edjting beyond the tagged area (on moving the cursor, as required).

Not today, though (or rarely, but still annoyingly, in the past). Highlight a pre-typed word-or-words and tag, make sure the cursor is beyond the tags, continue typing and... tagged elements vanish (as if under a Selection at the time). Start a blank tag, type within, send cursor to beyond the tag (end-of-text) and type, the cursor flashes to back within the tags and you're still italicising/whatever the new text. As well as using Preview-resetting, sometimes it seems possible to move the cursor position to pre-tag, do something there (random character, then backspace it away), move the cursor to end-of-text and continue as intended, but it may have more subtleties to it as it still does not always seem to work.

In fact, because it is happening every time I use the tag-buttons, right now, I also had it where the random-char was being inserted into the end of the tag (as was backspace, if I tried the "backspace + retypechar" variant) and nothing but the Preview-reload method nullified the strange cursor-tying phenomenon. Which, again, seems likely to be something to do with conflicting ideas of text-pointer positions in various character-arrays involved. Though hard to test in Chrome as I don't have an equivalent place with tag-insertion buttons on any site I visit in that browser, and it's this feature that seems most relevent here.

I have an idea that speed of 'typing' might be the issue. For corrective backspacing away the end-of-text I may multi-hammer the backspace 'key' (of the on-screen keyboard) fast enough to cause some event.message or other to be lost between subsystems that are 'keeping count'. The tag-buttons immediately insert seven, nine, etc, characters into the (apparent) text (edit: and Horizontal Rule puts in four, leaving + /forcing/ the cursor at the very next position) and - again - this could conceivably overwhelm some message-passing, though I don't know why it is a 100% issue this morning compared to ultra-rare before last night. (In looking to investigate the page-top problem of my Idle-clicker 'fun' being aborted, I had totally restarted the tablet, so its not obviously because it needs a restart to freshen up the active memory, something I may do very occasionally otherwise, and I'm more likely to restart due to very low battery.)

Addendum: I just discovered that doing a blank-tag (the bold 'separator' now inserted between the WebView info and these later issues), typing its contents and then trying to re-edit the contents *also* sends cursor to just within the end of that tag again. Again, solved by Preview, but I'd obviously not tried that variation of editing. Annoying. I may even start to revert to /italic/, *bold* and _underline_ conventions more in the foreseeable future, where I think it won't confuse people!

Not sure, if you're even still reading, I'm hoping for a solution to this 'problem' of mine. I know I've been unable to Google-Fu any reasons (or confirmation of my suspicions) posted anywhere, in the past. Apparently nobody else has documented anything similar, that I can find. So I thought that maybe *I* should, however an obscure locale this may be to general web-traffic around these issues. At least until I find that another change (or even this initially mentioned WebView one itself?) has now made it a notable plight amongst the Android community and suddenly it is creating chaos across a very wide spread of people...

(Sorry, yes, long. There's no easy TL;DR; explanation. Though I sincerely tried!)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:42:11 am by Starver »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: March 23, 2021, 04:21:30 pm »

I haven't seen most of those issues Starver, but I did experience the phone update breaking a couple apps.  Like the web browser for example.  Uninstalling WebView got things working again.  I had to search for it as it's hidden for some reason.  I thought there was supposed to be an option to just revert back to the original unupdated version, but that too seems hidden from me.  I suppose another update to officially fix things should be expected soon.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: March 23, 2021, 04:22:34 pm »

That sounds to me like a potential keyboard issue. What keyboard are you using (e.g. native, Gboard, Swype) and have you tried switching to another one?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: March 23, 2021, 06:27:37 pm »

@Schmaven, re: WebView
Oh, darnit. Having decided to spoiler these two sections, I did them sequentially with the buttons I said (below) I'd stop using, without Previewing between to 'normalise' the changes. Datum point: It put the second Spoilers in the right spot (below), but in the procesz erased the whole first spoiler-encasement (what was here until just before).
Summary of what I said is... WebView does not exist in "Android Settings|Apps" area. Cannot getting into "Android Settings|Google services" area (it complains that "Google Play services has" stopped/similar), and there's no sign even of an unrequested update. Going to Play Store and finding the (official, Google LLC) instance suggests it is Disabled and offers no uninstall/install/reinstall/rollback options that I might have expected from other Store items (including of discontinued items) from past experience. It is dated 22 March, but whether thats pre-change, on-change or an emergency re-change when they discovered they'd broken loads of devices I don't know without a time of day (and timezone).
There's no (relevent) Apps awaiting updating, the last things that did update (asked/allowed or otherwise did so anyway) were "3 days ago" when I checked that summary yesterday, and now aren't even mentioned.

The apps that are broken I'm happy to leave broken (time-wasters, all of them - and no problems yet seen with GMail/Chrome, despite supposed to be having them on there too) and one even goes so far as to tell me how much offline 'idle progress' it made since the last (attempted) startup, so I'll probably check in on that one every day to see if it invisibly fixes itself.

@lethosor, re: keyboard
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Having vented about this[1] sudden change (which I probably shouldn't have, except that I had done a lot of personal testing and perhaps felt I should at least mention it to stop duplication of effort), I'm still rather less inclined to have to redo a new keyboard again than I am to just type my own markup for as long as it seems necessary. It's the forward-slash that annoys me most. Only ever features on the 'prime key layout' when I'm editing an address-bar, yet the backslash is here on the 'w' key as long-press alternative.

Again, sorry for the (relatively) huge write-up. If I had a blog I'd probably have been better just publishing something about this on there. Instead I chose this thread on this forum to (not entirely) randomly effuse about all this. I should have just stuck with "Hey, there's this thing Google broke. Be aware!" and kept away from trying to explain the various minutiae of my own experiences. If it helps anyone, good, but the chances are slim.

[1] These sudden changes? It does seem quite 'coincidental' that I'm suddenly getting WebView/GooglePlay issues (albeit not in browsers, though apparently I should be) from one invisible/unannounced/unrecorded system update and a separate Google Keyboard issue (increasing what was/were ultra-rare glitching(s) now to an 'absolutely every time a common action is made'), pretty much starting at the very same time. I noted the WebView thing about 28-30 hours ago, and the keyboard issue must have started 18-24 hours ago. Both changes possibly under the 'gift' of Google's coders, perhaps arising from a single codepoint revision trickling down through separate dependency chains, though it's not obvious which key change could cause this.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: March 28, 2021, 09:45:00 pm »

I've got a problem with lines briefly appearing on my laptop screen before disappearing. This happens most often when I watch Youtube videos on my browser (Firefox). I don't know what causes this - it started happening about two days ago. The issue persisted even after turning my laptop off and on again. My graphics card driver and integrated graphics drivers are up to date, as is the driver for my monitor.

I'm... not really sure what to do. I got the laptop a few years ago, but I didn't expect it to show its age in quite this manner...
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 348