Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494223 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4680 on: September 06, 2021, 02:57:49 am »

Well, I still (aside from some dreadful typos, that showed you I was using my tablet's on-screen keyboard[1]) stand by "you need to have someone look at it" if it bothers you. And I'd lean to someone less impersonal than the actual manufacturer unless it was a major reinstall/physical repair well within the original warranty period - and perhaps even then.

(Ideally, you get an honest guy who can say "yeah, I can get you clean of that trivial but scary-looking ransomware" or "I can get a new screen hinge off eBay and fit it for you", and charge you just a genuine amount for their time+parts. But finding that kind of person in the first place is the trick.)

But I understand a lot about living with minor niggles, even as they gradually become annoyingly major niggles. ;)

[1] A few bottom-line letters swapped with spaces. Because the L is next to the backspace, "scheduled" became "scheded" and maybe other similar errors. Other things that came out wrong because there's no tactility to hint at where I should re-edit because my fingers slipped a micrometre off the proper spot...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: September 07, 2021, 01:37:03 am »

Does any one know what program I could use to convert a SWF video to MP4 or AVI, because I made a shitty animation with Adobe Flash Professional CS5.5 and I just realized nothing likes SWF anymore and the built in thing that converts it to AVI is shit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: September 07, 2021, 03:04:08 am »

Is it embedded video (essentially FLV) or actually lines-and-shapes vectorised drawn-cartoon stuff?

ffmpeg is (as I think I've said before) my go-to for pretty-much-anything to pretty-much-anything conversion (as ffplay is my pretty-much-anything player, which would make a good 'test' to see if it can recognise and extract the frames) and comes in all kinds of OS installs and flavours, including winff for Windows (GUI interface for selecting options) if you don't like having to (correctly) type loads and loads of command-line parameters every single time for batch-conversion (or get a single .BAT working!).

Re-rendering vector animation probably won't work with that, though. It needs something that can step-through and (internally?) export as frames that then (also internally? ...if not, ffmpeg can do that bit for you too[1]) packed together again in a standard video-frame of choice. I'm sure this is a solved problem, too, by some else who needed to kludge it. Though whether better or worse than the built-in one (if that's the mode it satisfies) you might need to go shopping around to improve your chances. I'm sure there's also Shockwave to HTML5 <canvas> converters these days, or should be, but with the same caveat as to how well featured and the markuped conversion's gonna be huge. Really, only go this way if it's not embedded video that can be de-/re-encapsulated, as above.

Hope that helps, at least in pointing in the right direction.

[1] And merge back in any sound-channel(s) that you may need to otherwise rip

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: September 07, 2021, 03:15:32 am »

I think it's a vector cartoon, I heave heard that you can use you can use Adobe After Affects to do the thing I want but that costs money and my budget is 0.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: September 07, 2021, 04:09:32 am »

Ok, I had a further look around, right now, there are plenty of paid-for 'solutions' for SWF to HTML5/whatever conversion (swamping my search) so either it's the remains of a whole lot of scammy solutions that sprung up to net the gullible in 2020 or it is possible to do (with the right expertise - all those shockwave banner-ads needing converting!) as well as being a ripe scam-spam subject. If there's any trivial

If you've got the original source and development environment perhaps you can painstakingly grab details (to recreate) or step-by-step renderings. Otherwise, screen-recording software? If you can at least play it (and at whatever scale you would like it to be, as rasterised).

- This is just me giving maybes, first mostly from not knowing quite what parameters but being intruigued and then following up with some half-hearted Google-Fu stuff, as I was passing through. Some other more knowledgable passer-by who has actually done this can surely lay out the true lowdown. ;)

(I just rumaged around, I've got an unopened Macromedia Flash 5 box[1], and the pretty pictures and blurb on the back indicates that there's XML exporting, etc, in that, which might be useful if you need to go that way and still exists in the newer IDE.)

[1] Highest © date mentioned is 2000, which shows how much I committed to using that little project, since I thought I might dabble. ;)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: September 07, 2021, 04:38:24 am »

I wonder how people did it in the old days so they could upload that crap to youtube, because there had to of been a cheap or free way to do it. Guess I might have to "purchase" a program in order to do what I want.

And I'm hoping the solution doesn't involve dissembling the finished animation so I can reassemble it in another program.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: September 07, 2021, 06:35:39 am »

Freemake video converter?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: September 07, 2021, 03:34:28 pm »

Freemake video converter?
I find the details ambiguous whether SWF is just an reencodable-to format or also a valid source (presumably only non-interactive presentations). It definitely claims it can output to Flash-files (SWF included) and is included amongst the many formats it knows of, but doesn't actually say it can source from SWF for any other output.

But it certainly looks like it has a lot of capabilities, and maybe you know for certain that it can do what's needed. (This may be partly because it (allegedly) directly includes ff's functionality, without following the proper licencing/acknowledgement required of using it. - That does not stop anyone using it, of course, especially if it works and nothing else would.)

Interesting, any which way.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: September 08, 2021, 04:39:02 am »

I just realized my dumb ass forgot since I made the video I have access to the FLV file that I converted to SWF, probably shouldn't have focused so much on the SWF.

I just read that I can put the FLV into that after affects program and can make it into a MP4 or AVI, now I just need to figure out how to get the thing.

Thanks Starver and LordBaal for the ideas I'll screw around with stuff and see what I can get to happen.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: September 08, 2021, 08:21:56 am »

ffmpeg -i input.flv maybe some options here, maybe not[1]-o output.mp4

8)

[1] If there are, it may be giving codecs to use, explicitly, and/or -copyts to preserve timestamps (if audio desynching is an issue) and/or some other refinement. Winff (last I used it) seems to suggest a whole range of presets (as well as bit-by-bit tweaks) to save you the trouble of typing every combination compatible list of options you can think of after glancing at ffmpeg --help/whatever. But if it works satisfactorarily without, it's probably simpler and quicker than most GUI interfaces.

-- This advertainment message was paid for by FFAGS, the FF* Advocacy Group (Scotland) Yoyo and Nodding Bird investments may go down as well as up.Your home is at risk if you use nuclear weapons to clean your oven.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: September 08, 2021, 02:15:07 pm »

...Honestly? I'm noticing a lot of issues with Java crashing out my Youtube tabs over the past week as well. DirectX games are fine it seems but no love for minecraft.

There was probably an update that borked something along the way because FireFox HATES it when I even look at the minecraft launcher, it feels like.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: September 09, 2021, 12:36:40 am »

I am sure to get the "hot take" sticker on me again for it, but that has ALWAYS been my experience with the JVM...

Unstable, top-heavy, and generally doesnt play nice.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: September 10, 2021, 12:05:13 am »

Using a Raspberry Pi to set up a Network Attached Storage.

I think I understand all the necessary parts to set up a NAS which is accessible while on the network. I want to make it accessible away from home, though.

So let's say I'm using Samba to set up the drive. Let's name it something memorable like MyTinyPiNAS. I would normally access the filesystem from another computer using the Pi's IP address. Example: \\192.168.1.10/MyTinyPiNAS. This is handled by the File Manager, it seems.

Let's say I want to make it accessible online. I can use a DDNS host to connect that device's IP to a domain name. If I do that, will I just like...see the file system in my browser? It seems far too easy and that I'll need to do more than that. Anyone have experience with this? (Currently at work and working this out on a napkin. Will attempt to do the real thing tonight.)

(This is a continuation/mutation of an attempt to set up a VPN myself. It is effectively the same as I understand it, except, being in China, it doesn't provide many benefits. Preferably, this would be a way for my family and I to share photos, etc, without needing to use a VPN or Google.)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: September 10, 2021, 06:09:02 am »

Have never worked with a raspberry pi, but I guess you could use FTP for a pretty basic sharing.

Here is a video I found on internet, its from 2015 so I don't really know if it still applicable to your case.
https://youtu.be/tu0SjDYforo
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: September 10, 2021, 07:40:32 am »

I've never done much with Samba[1], but with both that and ftp (sftp, preferably?) I can imagine you've got a fine line between making sure you're not opening too publically and (from one side of the Great Firewall, especially) also not raising too many flags to the curious people in authority, with their steely hand of control over what P2P encryption/off-shoring they like.

But getting a (pseudo-)static address is the necessary first step, so as well as the DDNS hostnaming (may not be needed if you can get the number static enough for your purposes) you need to know that the 192.168/16 address won't be usable beyond your local router (or maybe one layer up, depending upon setup) and you'd need to use NAT (configure the internet-facing router/cable-modem to allow the relevent port-forwarding, probably) and then give your access-point's IP to the outside service/your contacts for as long as it doesn't get reassigned onward (maybe next time you power cycle and it has to renegotiate with the ISP - depending on exact setup in a whole complicated wkrld of possibilities).

All doable, I'm sure, just raising all this in case you aren't already aware, to save disappointment later when the project-creel reveals 'just one more thing' needs wrangling to get it working.

(Never worked with a DDNS, I'm imagining that it works by your system logging in to officially announce your current IP (by login packet source, assuming you've got the necessary NATting to work to make it useful) and adopt that as the current destination to resolve to by name-led visitors. Now I'm intrigued, though, wondering if there's a cleverer/smarter system.)

[1] A bit of autosetup, enough to get it working like a classic Windows Shared Folder, which always was a lot less tunable than most other networking setups (*nix, Novell, etc) but quick-and-dirty.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 348