Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 492879 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4755 on: November 29, 2021, 01:26:46 pm »

Often, modern CPUs will up and down throttle dynamically anyway.
I'm still nostalgic for the "Turbo" button. ;)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: November 29, 2021, 01:45:46 pm »

Often, modern CPUs will up and down throttle dynamically anyway.
I'm still nostalgic for the "Turbo" button. ;)

I would actually LOVE to see a modern board, that had a proper realmode implementation, catering to retro DOS gaming, and featured such a retro option.

Something that has shadowram UMBs, an uncluttered adapter rom region, does SB16 emulation, a proper VESA bios, and has the turbo button, but is also capable of modern gaming in full x64 mode.

There is clearly a market, as the MiSTER board community demonstrates.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: November 30, 2021, 06:33:44 pm »

Im confident on being able to build it, I'm just very unfamiliar with new technologies, models and brands, and very unstrusting of reviews on the net. I working on the 1155 intel socket still worth it?

What's even available in your part of the world? In most places a GTX 1050 would be an extremely poor buy, and a P8Z68 motherboard (which as far as i can tell only supports 2nd Gen Core processors, they're on 11th gen now) is little more than a paperweight, but your situation is probably pretty different than most.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: November 30, 2021, 10:01:14 pm »

Well, mostly was my idea of saving up by only upgrading some components on top of the motherboard. But you are correct that simply is too old to be worthy and migth end up spending marginally less or even more for significantly slower/less potent hardware.

So I changed my plan a bit. Basically I will buy a sata ssd for the current computer and leave it for office and browser work, which is still pretty decent at and call it a day.

And will build a new pc from 0 with current generation with the objective of playing total war and dwarf fortress more than anything. Any recomendations?

I'll buy from the internet in about 5 months from now, most likely fron USA.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 10:04:37 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: December 01, 2021, 04:38:53 am »

To save money long term, prioritize the motherboard.  If your mobo has the current generation of chip socket, and supports the latest RAM (DDR5?), you can still put in cheaper RAM and a cheap CPU that will be good enough for today, but also leaves the door open for significant upgrades in the future.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: December 01, 2021, 05:16:42 am »

If the goal is incremental upgrades, waiting til AM5 drops next year might be a good move. AMD seems to keep the same socket for longer than Intel so upgrades should definitely exist and you'd also be getting DDR5. Only problem might be mobo support of CPU upgrades - not sure if that's as much of an issue with Team Red as it is with Team Blue.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: December 01, 2021, 05:42:46 am »

Right now, AMD seems to have the best price/performance ratio, but Intel seems to have a better selection at the lower end of the market. But even an i3 is considerably better than my current rig, which handles most things pretty well.

For video cards, you don't want to get any Nvidia card that doesn't begin with 30 unless it is extremely cheap or you simply have no other option (which, unfortunately, is a common issue these days). Price/performance just isn't there if you're paying retail prices.

You'll want an NVME slot on the motherboard even if you don't get that kind of drive right away - that's increasingly becoming standard, and will be a solid upgrade path later.

Splurge on the power supply. Even if you use a UPS to wash your electricity, a cheap PSU is all too likely to fail in a way that damages things later on.

Don't get the 60 pound case unless you know you'll never move it.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: December 05, 2021, 08:37:34 pm »

In my most recent research, it seems Intel is moving up in the ranks because everyone is waiting for GPUs to drop - Intel's integrated graphics are at least enough to run the PC while you wait. I'm still trying to soak up as much info as possible before I start seriously shopping.

On that note - I bought a 1TB SSD to slip into my laptop to hopefully eek out a modicum of improved performance. My intention behind this was to allow me more time to shop for parts for my PC build. I've got a simple question that I expect I already know the answer to. My laptop uses a 2.5 inch SATA - with a <20 buck adapter I can turn that into a 3.5 inch. Is there any downside to doing this when I build my PC? Do those little shell/adapters have any impact on performance? (I'm comfortable un-upgrading my laptop back to its HDD)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: December 05, 2021, 09:33:15 pm »

It seems buying a laptop with a nvidia 3050 seems cheaper than buying the card or a desktop.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: December 05, 2021, 10:16:26 pm »

My laptop uses a 2.5 inch SATA - with a <20 buck adapter I can turn that into a 3.5 inch. Is there any downside to doing this when I build my PC? Do those little shell/adapters have any impact on performance? (I'm comfortable un-upgrading my laptop back to its HDD)

Generally not any downside.  Read the reviews for the particular adapter.  Check that it has a transport speed at least as high as the drive and computer. Make sure that it ventilates properly.  Not performance related but occasionally there is an issue with the screw fittings not matching the drive mounts of the box.  Chances are it will all be good.  (Personally I've been using a 2.5 inch drive in my pc box, via adpater, for several years and not had any issue.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: December 05, 2021, 10:16:48 pm »

It seems buying a laptop with a nvidia 3050 seems cheaper than buying the card or a desktop.

That's not the worst plan, but it is effectively non-upgradable, and laptop parts are often a little weaker than the desktop version of the same thing. I've also had a lot of throttling issues when using laptops after the battery started wearing out - they would clock themselves down if the battery was empty even though it was plugged in.

On the other hand, if you still have irregular power, being able to run off of battery is probably a big plus.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: December 06, 2021, 12:24:59 am »

My new workplace does an every-other-year office stipend so I took the opportunity to get some monitor arms. Enjoy the unexpected laugh I had while flipping through the manual.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: December 06, 2021, 12:40:31 am »

Warning, monitor arm has a sick uppercut.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: December 06, 2021, 03:57:52 am »

Um. I think that goes well with a shirt that says "My eyes are down here" because you'd need eyes where your nipples are to make use of a tiny monitor at that angle.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: December 06, 2021, 07:32:15 am »

The more I think about it the more it make sense. Specially because power is still iffy (yesterday we had a 1 hour blackout) and it can get worse again any moment.

Laptops with a 3050ti starts around 700~800 bucks and acording to some reviews that card along with 8GB of system ram and a modern CPU would result around 140fps on ultra settings on Total Warhammer 2 at 1080p. Generally dont trust reviews much but even if they are off by half, 70 fps is crazy performance in my book.

Another advantage of the laptop is being a single shipping to Venezuela instead of having to coordinate several separated ones. The flip side of this is putting all my eggs on a basket.

The desktop 3050 and 3050ti seems to be going to the market on january next year, so probably will wait to check those prices too before deciding.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 07:35:36 am by LordBaal »
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 347