Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 493959 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4770 on: December 06, 2021, 09:41:09 am »

Um. I think that goes well with a shirt that says "My eyes are down here" because you'd need eyes where your nipples are to make use of a tiny monitor at that angle.

It's a pneumatic monitor arm. Your monitor mounts to the flat bit that's impaling itself in that poor asshole's chin flesh.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 09:42:52 am by Mephisto »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: December 07, 2021, 05:21:27 am »

The 32GB Micro SD card in my phone decided to die yesterday by somehow unformatting itself, neither phone or computer recognize the card as being formatted and the only option they give is to format it, and I'm wondering if there's a way to get my stuff off of it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: December 07, 2021, 05:57:25 am »

I found these two:

PhotoRec might work, though I have no experience with it.

GParted definitely works for partitioning/unpartitioning, and apparently have a recovery attempt tool. It's worth a shot. Both of these are free and open source, so...at least give it a shot, I guess? Is your SDCard off-brand? If so, it might just be reaching the end of its lifespan and might need to be replaced, unfortunately.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: December 07, 2021, 01:27:14 pm »

Testdisk, the companion of photorec, might be able to salvage the filesystem also.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: December 08, 2021, 05:28:25 am »

Is your SDCard off-brand? If so, it might just be reaching the end of its lifespan and might need to be replaced, unfortunately.
I don't know weather it's off brand or name brand but it's ether a Onn or PNY, also it shouldn't be reaching the end of life as I bought it earlier this year.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: December 08, 2021, 08:17:01 am »

Most likely is a off brand or a knock off. Pen drives and microSD are particulary vulnerables to being fake products.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: December 08, 2021, 05:19:54 pm »

It could have been a software thing from the phone, but, yeah SD Cards on the cheap can die fast if read and written a lot. I lost one 64gb one that was used in a raspberry pi only after a few months.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: December 08, 2021, 07:12:20 pm »

A pretty common tactic is to sell them tricked so the show more space than what they have and/or simply so cheaply made that they have a very poor write/read cycle count.

On all accounts data ends up lost, sometimes forever. Back in the university a lot of people got scammed by 4Gb and OH MY GAWD 8Gb pendrives when 500Mb was more or less the norm. They ended up being 32 Mb chips that corrupted everything once a certain amount of data was put into them.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: December 09, 2021, 02:07:13 am »

It could have been a software thing from the phone, but, yeah SD Cards on the cheap can die fast if read and written a lot. I lost one 64gb one that was used in a raspberry pi only after a few months.

Doesn't help that Raspbian (and most* distros for the Pi, from my understanding) use disk swap instead of ZRAM swap, substantially shortening the life of SD cards in the process. Here's a guide on how to set ZRAM up, and throw out disk swap entirely.

https://haydenjames.io/raspberry-pi-performance-add-zram-kernel-parameters/

Alternately, if you never ever need to save data to the SD card, ever, you can instead go into raspi-config and go to Performance Options > Overlay File System to prevent writes to the SD card. I don't know the Linux-fu to explain it beyond "sets up an overlay filesystem in RAM, so all writes that would go to the boot disk go to RAM instead".

Warning: This gives the Pi amnesia. Any files you save to the SD card will be lost on the next reboot.

*Fedora might be an exception, assuming its RPi build does the same ZRAM setup thing my Fedora 35 Workstation install does. However, Fedora doesn't officially support the RPi 4 yet. "We do not (as of 24 November 2021) officially support the Raspberry Pi 4 in any Fedora release." Some stuff involving firmware flashing, then installing Fedora via the aarch64 DVD ISO is possible, but do that at your own risk.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 02:23:23 am by methylatedspirit »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: December 09, 2021, 02:36:55 am »

Aye, this was how I learned two lessons - first, I toggle off swap on anything I plan to use for more than an experiment, and second, to not buy knock off sdcards.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: December 09, 2021, 02:38:00 am »

How do you know weather a SD card is good or a knock off?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: December 09, 2021, 02:53:23 am »

Trusted markets, price matching expected price, physical inspection. I bought a cheap Chinese SD card - so I wasn't duped into buying a fake Kingston or something, but I guess that sort of thing can happen, depending on where you live.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: December 09, 2021, 04:33:40 am »

Guess I should be good in that regard as all the SD cards I've purchased have come from a big name store.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: December 09, 2021, 04:57:34 am »

Usually knock off imitations has differences in packing shape, size, hologram stickers, quality of the materials, printing, logos and more. The last three also for the card/drives themselves. There are some sites, youtube videos that can help discerning an original product from a fake one, but scammers always try to innovate so there is no saying they copy all the apareances perfectly.

Price is a good indicator too, if is too good to be true, probably is because is not true. Not to say there are imitations sold at prices on par of the original products.

Finally yes, buying from recognized and/or trusted places is your best bet. Sites like SanDisk indicste that your best way to be safe is to buy from authorized dealers only.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: December 09, 2021, 08:03:20 am »

I haven't tried it with Raspbian/SD-Card, but you could take a note from the Live CD Linuxes (Linii?) that let you place whole or 'differential' mountpoints on the 'host' machine's HDD[1] to overcome the default state of recurring amnesia.

You could even try to make the whole startup work from that USB-platterdrive (not sure if the Pi firmware does (or can be asked to) use that in leiu/advance of a valid SD card), but a minimal loader[2] that makes all RW mounts reside elsewhere. (Perhaps put /swap and other latent amd transient high-volume data areas upon an USB Ram-based dongle if that gives better IO performance than a more mechanical or even remote read/write location, and easily replaced if/when it starts to 'wear out'.)

I haven't done so much fiddling with this sort of obsessive tweaking myself, but if someone hasn't perfected this setup already and made a handy guide (or even setup-wizard) for this already then I'm very much surprised.

[1] Possibly across a networked drive, whether Cloud or Fog or NAS variety, but takes a bit more effort than a 'keystone' .cfg file on the host's drive to explain to the receptive hard-booting nonRW startup what options had previously been decided in a previously booted-up session.

[2] That you can keep an image/copy of in the event of the first finely-tuned SD going bad from too many reads or other loss of integrity.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 348