Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494031 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4860 on: April 03, 2022, 07:57:50 am »

Got a bigger hard drive, and I'm trying to move some files around. Some of them, I can't rename, and some utilities I'm using can't work with them at all. All of those particular files have something strange appended to their file location in Properties.

"\\?\Y:\Stream"

I've never seen the bolded bit before.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: April 03, 2022, 09:28:56 am »

they are UNC path names.  Likely, there are hardlinks/softlinks present.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: April 03, 2022, 12:10:52 pm »

There shouldn't be - I've never made anything of the sort, and this drive has always been connected to this computer. The other suggestion I've been getting is file system corruption, which feels more likely. The files are acting like they're on a networked folder - to the point where you can't recycle-bin them, only delete. I've managed a workaround to brute-force them into a normal relationship, and am putting them on a freshly formatted drive.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: April 06, 2022, 10:31:27 am »

No, realy, that is totally what that is.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/io/file-path-formats

NTFS supports both hard and soft links within the filesystem.  More than likely, what you are hitting is called a "reparse point".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_reparse_point

Say for instance, you have steam installed. Rather than have multiple redundant copies of the steam DLLs in each steam app's folder heirarchy, the steam application can create hardlinks inside those steamapp folders, that then reparse-- and point to the single, easily updated, copy of those DLLs, that is managed by the steam main application.

Windows makes heavy use of this with the WinSXS folder as well.

The file object you are referencing in your example, basically says:

When you find me, go to the file (or directory) at Y:\Stream

It is presented as a path object

\\?\Y:\stream

I have manually set up such reparse points on old windows 8 tablets that have really crippled storage, by redirecting certain folders to no longer be on the internal storage (but to instead, live on a permanently installed SDCard)

The software you are using could have created these by itself, at install time.  When browsing the folders in windows explorer, you would never notice a difference between a reparse point, and a folder or file.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: April 06, 2022, 12:45:28 pm »

I get what you're talking about, but these were just video files. There is literally no reason for them to have ever gotten that kind of hardlink.

Not saying that's not what it was, but it shouldn't have been.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: April 11, 2022, 07:29:32 am »

This must have been asked here many times, but fuck me if I'm going to comb the thread for an answer.
How do I stop/restrict win10 updates? I've an old-ish mini laptop/tablet with a 25GB sdd, most of which is taken up by the system. The reminder is not enough to complete some larger updates, but it keeps trying and failing to do so all the same. I want to give the laptop to my old folks, and I'd rather not have any confusing messages pop up on them all the time.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: April 11, 2022, 09:29:59 am »

If you can't upgrade the SSD, giving it to your old people mught be a poor idea. An unupdated OS is risky under the best of conditions, but especially so with peopke whomreally don't know comouters (as the confusing message comment implies).

If they're only going to be using it for Facebook and such, a lightweoght Linuxninstall might be a viable alternative, much as I despise Linux,

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: April 11, 2022, 11:32:48 am »

Is this system one of those "cloudbooks" ?

Some parts of the windows OS can be ... relocated.. using softlinks in the NTFS file system.  An SDCard formatted with NTFS (that then has a "DO NOT EVER REMOVE ME!!" sticker placed over the slot) can then play the actual physical host location.

However, linux is the better option there.  The main OS itself is rather lightweight-- maybe 16gb total, for a full deployment.  User data is what gobbles down the space, and again, an SDCard with a sticker that says "NEVER REMOVE ME" slapped over it and the slot, can be used to supply the /home mount point.  One could put a big, juicy 256gb SDCard in there.  I did that with my hacked chromebook.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: April 11, 2022, 04:08:39 pm »

Nah. I'm not going to try and expose me parents to linux. It's easier to teach them to close/ignore an occasional message than go through the hassle.

There's no hardware upgrade option on the table either.

The security updates seem to be downloading fine. It's just the 'major feature updates' that end up clogging the drive.

I just wish I could tell windows to stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: April 13, 2022, 11:57:02 am »

You can use ntlite to directly integrate the update packages directly into the install image, so that 'on a fresh install', they are already installed.

How I don't understand this program, it's bugging me that I can't edit a live windows on a free version. And I wasted time doing stupid mistakes, now I have the install medium loaded and the live windows with the updates loaded, both.

How do I do the thing do the thing. Can I really not mark more than one update at once, and then when I click add do I need to specifiy a separate directory with the installer every time? What does it even read the live windows for then?

This is very confusing.

edit: ok I added the directory, it started scanning, and then only kept like 25 out of 200 updates the others had some sort of error
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 12:00:20 pm by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: April 13, 2022, 12:44:33 pm »

Ok I think I got it.

Take win install cd -> drag and drop folder onto hdd -> load that -> add update directory.

I think I can move along on my own now.
let

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: April 17, 2022, 09:29:29 am »

I tried installing an additional SSD using a SATA connection, but it didn't show up anywhere I looked on the computer to try and format it.  I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and now it's formatting just fine.  It's amazing how often that fixes things.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: May 07, 2022, 07:03:05 am »

Also next time you can try diskmgmt.msc, sometimes windows knows it's there but just doesn't show the drive normally.

So... I use a second router, it's supposed to be an internet free subnetwork, but it is causing me a lot of grief. I found this modem/router/wifi thingy our local telephone company gives to folks (the people who threw it away were supposed to bring it back lol), so now there is two of them and they don't seem to like eachother. I changed a setting so the PC prefers internet over wifi, that fixes most but definitly not all issues, there's a few things I can't find in the network unless I shortly switch off the wifi to establish a connection, and worse, sometimes the router without internet randomly opens a browser with the msn news site on the computer with internet, and worst, sometimes the routers get a total hangup and instead of getting internet I get the login site from the router (presumably the second without internet, I honestly never bothered to log in since I set it up to not diffuse wifi, there are hardly any options in there, and also the damn thing is difficult to reach).

I have two devolos, there are 3 pcs that need to be plugged into the subnetwork, can I solve the puzzle by connecting the routers through devolo, then cut off internet to the 2 other computers on the subnetwork router? Because that would be the easiest solution cable wise. Will a normal minimalist 4 port router behave better? Or should I get them all on the same network and just stop playing?

I'm at a total loss I know strictly nothing about networks other unplug/replug and basic windows "adapter options".
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: May 07, 2022, 08:19:37 am »

What EXACTLY are you looking to accomplish?

One router that does only local LAN, and another with internet, but they can see each other?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: May 07, 2022, 09:54:16 am »

Two computers handle serato dj (I need one for each controller), OBS captures the screen and shares it over network. I'd rather not have them connected to the internet for security, but also so they perform more reliably and don't go stuttering on me because they decided to update something I forgot to disable.

Also NDI the protocol I use to share signals over lan takes insane bandwith, windows 10 shows me that the "subnetwork" had 1477,07GB! of traffic in like 4 days (on a 1900x 200 canvas, it's insane must be uncompressed or something), so I'd rather not have my internet router handle all that traffic when it's supposed to send a stream to the web.

The computer connected to the internet takes those screen captures, mixes them in video jockey software, takes that output and sends it off to the web as a stream.

Also I scooped up a NAS in the trash, so one day (not RN I'm too lazy for that) I hope to put that on the subnetwork too, so when I add new music, I only do it on the main PC, once I'm done shifting files around and renaming them and stuff, I turn on the NAS and he copies those changes over to the two serato computers.

let
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 348