Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494081 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4965 on: October 18, 2022, 11:46:58 am »

Hard drive successfully (?) swapped over. Now my old computer is basically useless to me, but I have most of not all of my data.

I was wrong about a couple of things, as it turns out: my old HDD was three TB, not two (thus explaining the need for a partition) and the new SSD is only one TB. So I still have four total but the allocation was off  :P
The new SSD is also some newfangled format I had never heard of before (M.2) but it works and supposedly is very reliable.

The bad news is that many programs on the old HDD do not work properly, and uninstallers are iffy; the one I tried wiped my desktop but nothing else. Thank goodness all that was on the desktop at the time were a few shortcuts. So I need to figure out the best way to get rid of those programs without messing anything up.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: October 18, 2022, 12:59:46 pm »

On a clean install, you don't really need an uninstall. Just delete the folder. Most of what an uninstaller does is clean up registry entries (which no longer exist), folders in documents (which probably no longer exist, and similar. The uninstallers you're trying don't work because they have no database to look at.

Or you can just reinstall over them - the lack of function can very likely be because it is no longer installed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: October 18, 2022, 02:04:38 pm »

This is why I thought you'd just want access to the data (that, in some cases you might have to prepare for), after making a fresh install and getting it working nicely already.

The SSD install neither knows nor cares (for the most part!) that 'installations' exist on the old drive. It's just all data, of various kinds, so long as you don't try to invoke the runnability of any exectable item that now sits there. It's like if you copy any Program Files (or whatever the location) items on the SSD into the My Documents on it, where it would be (almost[1]) as disassociated, and the original (SSD) install would still work nicely enough.

Uninstallers generally tell the current OS (the one on the SSD) how to remove currently installed things (that were installed on the SSD), by doing such things as removing resource files, reverting registry changes, undoing associations, deleting links to things that no longer exist.

If the SSD's system has never had these changes made, I'd actually presume that trying to run the old drive's uninstallers would immediately go "Oh, can't do that... can't do that... can't even work out how to do that..." and either suggest that it's already removed or pretend that it got rid of everything or possible tell you point-blank that it's wrong. I'm not sure why it might have reset your desktop (well, I have some ideas, but it assumes that installers/uninstallers do things that I'm not sure why they'd every do in any sane situation... which probably perfectly describes some hack/work-around situation that some (un)installers have to use for reasons dictated mainly by MS's intentional obfuscations).

But I'd suggest you just don't even try to do that. Pick up savefiles, dabble into (human-)readable config files, etc, and use this information (perhaps!) to rejig the fresh installation (of any application, itself upon the fresh installation of OS). And your old-HDD "My Pictures"/etc data can be copied across to SDD "My Pictures" at leisure... or establish a new root directory structure on old-HDD to gradually sort and shuffle things as you work out what you actually want to keep.

Then you're free to just delete all the unwanted (even system-level) directories on old-HDD. With care that you're not deleting something new-OS now thinks is part of it. Everything under "\Program Files" (or "\Program Files (x86)") can probably eventually be removed once you've checked there's nothing you actually want out of each subdir. The (hidden) "\ProgramData" directory might have some gems of usefulness in it (or under "\Documents and Settings", I forget when Windows changed their nomenclature), but it's the one currently on C: that counts (which you don't even access by explicit C:/...whatever), not the one on D: or whatever letter it is. Delving into the "\Users" structure you'll probably find (eventually!) your masses of saved MP3s, JPGs, .DOCs, etc that you might have accumulated and previously expected to see under the Documents, Pictures or media-themed areas of your designated usespace.

Possibly if you haven't actually done anything drastic, your old drive could be removed from your new computer and replaced back into the old computer to allow it to boot up (and without stopping your new one from doing so) if you still need to find out how to access the data that you think you are missing. That's if you haven't donated even more parts between the system. At this stage, though, I'll admit that I'm purely guessing as to how much fiddling you did that I would not even have thought you would. If you don't have to reverse the process, and it still works well, then I'm not going to pursuade you to try anyway. ;)

Oh, and the caveat that I'm fairly good with the system layouts of any version of Windows version prior to 8[2]

[1] By dint of the correct drivers/etc still existing in the correct directories, you could probably still run some of the cross-copied executables, but once you uninstall the main-install (or, possibly, get an update) there'll probably be confusion by the copy-executable (not changed) finding that .dlls that it might previously have picked up now being missing/changed.

[2] I could tell you about the time that I used the DOS6.2 version of DEFRAG upon my brand new Win95 machine, because I still prefered the DOS interface. Except that DOS6.2 didn't have any concept of the LFN data and wiped, so ending up with directories such as "C:/PROGRA~1/MICROS~1/..." and "C:/PROGRA~1/MICROS~2/..." was the least of my problems... And forced me to learn the ins and outs of the system quite quickly ;)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: November 20, 2022, 10:28:33 am »

I had to factory reset my android phone. the reasons aren't that relevent.

However, in trying to recover my photos I have gotten angrier at a computer than I ever have been in my entire life. I had no backup, or this would be exponentially easier.

Please. Please god help. There's a photo of me in a choker buried somewhere in this phone that will otherwise be lost forever.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: November 22, 2022, 04:12:16 am »

Consider doing a full ADB based backup of the phone, then digging through the resulting tar archive for anything ending in .jpg

Steps:
1) Do full phone backup over ADB.
https://9to5google.com/2017/11/04/how-to-backup-restore-android-device-data-android-basics/

2) Convert the archive into .tar by stripping the header. (requires java)
https://github.com/nelenkov/android-backup-extractor

3) Dig through the full phone backup. (this backs up everything, including private cache folders used by apps, and even the apps themselves.)

It **MIGHT** be possible to run photorec on the phone internally, with an OTG dongle and USB stick connected, but that is beyond the scope of a normal user's exercise.  Root would be required to get access to the phone's block devices.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: November 22, 2022, 01:51:32 pm »

It says that adb is not recognized as an internal or external command. Although the given tutorial says to navigate to where the tools are located, I haven't the slightest clue how to do that, or if I was, where I would find them. I tried going into the files to find its location, but no dice. How does one handle these arcane processes?
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: November 22, 2022, 05:29:39 pm »

You need to install the android debugging tools.

If you dont mind packages made by consummate hackers, XDA has an automated installer.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-windows-adb-fastboot-august-2022.3944288/

Alternatively, you can get the full SDK from google.
https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 05:34:58 pm by wierd »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: November 24, 2022, 04:58:56 am »

The backup worked! I still haven't had the time to finish the second half of the process and actually unpack it, college and all that, but things are looking up! Thank you so much!
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: December 10, 2022, 04:28:30 am »

Wierd is the hidden treasure of this site.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: January 08, 2023, 12:19:01 am »

Windows seems to be getting more aggressive in their attempts to get people on their browser.  I just got what looked like a system update that was instead just an option to drink the Microsoft kool-aid.  Fortunately there is still a way to decline their offer.  For now...

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: January 22, 2023, 01:58:14 pm »

Hey everyone.

3 computers in house. 2 have no issues. 1 desktop does. DNS does not resolve.

Intermittently, it sometimes does not get internet to load on firefox and microsoft explorer.

Things I've tried:
1.) Pinging Google: cmd window "ping google.com" and "ping www.google.com." Also, "Ping 8.8.8.8." (sometimes replies, sometimes not)
2.) Using Google's pubic DNS: control panel > Network and Internet > Network and sharing center > Wi Fi Properties > IPv4 8.8.8.8 alternate 8.8.4.4
3.) Calling the ISP and troubleshooting it with them.

ISP says it's possible I have a virus or something else with the computer itself, given that the other machines are OK, and this one is intermittent. He seems to be able to make it work after a while, but this might be the intermittency I was talking about.

All of this started about 2 weeks ago when the ISP had a service outage and it has been intermittent...

Any thoughts? Could it be a virus or something in settings? Unclear.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Appreciate any assistance. 

Edit: Currently, Edge works and Firefox does not. I have no idea why it switches between that, nothing working and both working. Also sometimes youtube videos seem to load only gray squares rather than thumbnails.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 02:05:55 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: January 22, 2023, 03:57:12 pm »

uh, it does sound like a virus, but it's not impossible for it to be some other issue.

you could try reinstalling windows.

i hope you have a good antivirus software install.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: January 22, 2023, 04:45:56 pm »

I'd be tempted to do a tracert (e.g. "tracert 8.8.8.8" at the command prompt) to see if the problem machine has any surprise routing (e.g. Man In The Middle attack) that your problem machine is doing, in comparison with what you get on your 'ok' machines.  And if the rogue onward-router is being less than capable of fulfilling the onward routing then it might be the reason you're getting intermittent response.

If whatever-it-is hasn't subverted even this command, to hide itself, you might find a handful of extra steps out through a different gateway, acting as a kind of proxy. It's not definitive, and a long-shot, but I don't know what things your (possibly script-led) ISP has tested, both from their end and via you at your end, so it's the easiest thing i can think of suggesting except making sure your AV is updated and working.

And I would also suggest Malwarebytes, which always had been a very good on-demand finder of awkward things. I don't suggest activating its real-time capabilities (I have an historic allergy against two realtime scanners, and your existing AV should be good for that) and doggedly sticking with the free version should be sufficient (I think there's a Free Premium Trial option, but you might want to avoid that in the first instance - I'm just generally wary of all the bells and whistles that all premium versions try to offer you, often doubling up on things or adding stuff you'll never need). And it'll show all kinds of things that aren't causing this issue (BHOs, etc) but an on-demandscan might show you quite plainly that some nasty trojan/redirector has rootkitted itself somewhere into the network stack, and easily solve it.

You really need someone who knows these things well to work directly on the machine, if it's a particular awkward issue, but this is probably where I'd start, going in blind.

(I would also consider an intermittent failure in the network card/whatever. If you have access to a LiveCD or bootable USB and it also is intermittent (and not just troublesome to use to connect in the first place) then it's that. But that, more than the above, probably needs an in-person techie to solve.)

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: January 22, 2023, 06:20:11 pm »

I appreciate the quick responses. Thank you.

So basically I downloaded malwarebytes and they did a scan. The only thing they found was a video game emulator on the desktop I've had on this thing forever. Master of Orion 2, of all things, which has never caused me any grief in several years. I said to ignore it this time. Sticking to free version ....

Even though that was the only thing it found, stuff seems to be loading properly again. (Possible this is just the intermittent nature of it).

So what I'm hearing so far is:

1.) Comparing tracert command readouts from my various machines and see if there is a difference?

2.) Consider taking the physical machine to an actual in person technician? I don't have a computer repair person I know. Is this something Best Buy can likely deal with or? Just look for a local business? Suggestions?

Much appreciate your consideration and suggestions. Thank you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: January 22, 2023, 11:03:57 pm »

For my part:
1) It's a quick and easy thing you can do as soon as you get access to each (troublesome plus any working) machine, which would only look significantly different if they're set up in differing ways[1]. Though I'd expect typical malware reasons to have been caught by the Malwarebytes, already, and you already did that, so less value in doing it now. (But you could still try it... just for your own piece of mind. I was hoping you'd understand the meaning of outputs for yourself, and I'm not really wanting you to copypaste any of it here, for various reasons.)

2) I have no idea what's the best direct support, for you. I was at one time working in a social enterprise that refurbished unwanted computers and did every kind of maintenance you can think of to anyone's equipment who came along to us (or, where necessary or more convenient overall, called us out to them) and I think we did a better job (more bespoke, less fudging, less likely to just assume the machine was backed up and restore it to factory settings) than the more commercial tech store with a support desk. But then maybe I was biased/only saw the newly(/additionally) messed up stuff on the rebound, where the owner had it come out worse. But one thing I can say is that a good techie (or even a half-decent one) sat at the keyboard plugged into your machine and staring at its monitor, will probably rule out much of the speculation as to why it is going wrong much quicker than the to-and-fro that might happen here[2], and I imagine the actual answer (and any solution) will be quicker, even including the time taken for you to vet around to lugging your machine to their place of business or (especially if necessary to discover that your network cable is frayed to the point of occasional failure, or you're trying to wifi through a particularly thick wall) some guy or gal has time to get to your address with plentiful tools of both mechanical and software variety in their bag, ready to spend a long afternoon testing everything they can think of to try to nail down what might even be a Heisenbug...

Not trying to discourage you from asking here, but it's a vague problem (which is not your fault) with still many possible answers. I'd prefer to be checking the machine out first-hand, given the malware situation seems not detectable by one of the best detectors.

(Was the game emulator marked as a PUP or Riskware? As well as false positives, it might also be overcautious, and most machines I've checked show many things that are just FYIs, but I take it you've noted the sole 'non-green' result item - an interesting result in itself. Of course, there are always possible things that are effectively zero-day exploits, not yet known to any tool, but I'm willing to believe that you're not (un)lucky enough to have one of them on your system. And a long-standing risk that only just recently became undeliable as well? Long shot, even if possible.)

But if you want to try a physical test, can you temporarily set up the problem machine in the vicinity of, and/or plugged into the usual network cable for, either of the other machines? Does it still have odd outages? If you can do the opposite move, does the moved 'good' machine start going wrong? Just to rule out the wifi/ethernet link being at fault. I don't know how awkward or possible that all is for your respective setups, so maybe you can't even easily/conveniently/practically check this. Or it's already right next to another, etc.

[1] e.g., your 'normal' machines indicate an 8-hop route through your ISP, featuring in the domain-resolved addresses at steps #3 and #4, landing on google (perhaps at a domain featuring 1e100.net?) by the last or even penultimate route-hop. But your rogue machine will perhaps have ten or more hops, with something really odd (perhaps a hacked Argentinian business's servers, or a random cloudpress subdomain as the identity). But it could even be abbreviated to your tracert check.  And if it's just intermittent connectivity, without maliciousness, it might fail as it's testing the hops, just as intermittently, so a few tries might build up a picture.

[2] I saw your initial message within minutes of it being posted, but I wasn't sure if I should even reply. When I decided to do so, I took 50 minutes to edit out loads of initially stupid stuff, then found another reply had happened, but went ahead with the suggestions I had anyway. I'm writing this quicker, hence why it has aot of stupid stuff in it!
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 348