Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494344 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #5010 on: April 05, 2023, 05:02:33 pm »

Still looking for a reverse operation (select a group, somehow drag items back out of it) as well as other in-roads into the original issue.

I just stumbled across this feature recently by accident.  Using the chrome app, a tap+hold on a link will bring up a menu, and I can open that link in a new tab in the group, or an incognito tab among other options.  If I select "Open in new tab in group" it then appears as 1 of the icons along the bottom of the screen, along with the + to create a new new tab in the group from scratch.  The ^ on the left brings up a full screen view of all the tabs in the current tab group (that bottom bar only seems to appear when scrolling up, not sure if there's another way to access it).  From the tab group view, I can tap+hold any of the tabs in that tab group and then an option at the bottom appears to "Remove from group", which does not close the tab, but adds it to it's own unique tab on the higher level of tabs above (a better way to describe those parent tabs eludes me). 

From the main chrome parent tab view, I can tap+hold any tab or even group of tabs, and drag them into another tab (or group of tabs) to merge them into their unique subgroup again.

I literally just stumbled across this today, so I'm not that familiar with how it works, but the process of creating tabs, grouping & ungrouping tabs together, all work fine for me.  I previously just kept my tabs as single tabs, and just a handful of them, because I always fear catastrophic electronics failure, and it's easier (emotionally) to lose a small amount of data than a large amount.  Though the convenience of compiling web pages of information (and now collections of pages, due to the option to group tabs together!) might just get me to risk their loss to have more at my fingertips.  But I digress.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: April 05, 2023, 06:19:31 pm »

Just tested it again (there have been a number of Chrome updates since I last checked up on the situation). All that works, as you have discovered, and as I was happily using it before[1], give or take slight differences[2]. I do occasionally now still create a new-tab-in-group, in fact, but with the strict caveat that I must reduce a group that I'm "in" back to a single tab-item (by closing all but one, when I've finished with the others) before I switch to other top-level tabs, or it becomes a crash-on-reselect trap-group.

(And the resulting "Open app again" / "Close app" / ”Send feedback" crash-dialogue closes itself before I even get a chance to blink, never mind decide if I want to do any of them. Of course, all three options are useless, past experience has taught me... Especially trying to ellicit any useful support response through Feedback. Hence explaining it here.)

But as I'm working round it (and all the other niggles[3]), I'd probably bemoan the ways it gets fixed, if that ever happens...  8)

[1] It was a very useful 2-branched organising method.

[2] I never tried a fullscreen view of tabs-in-group, just sidescolled the group-bar. Or open the fullscreen "single tabsvand tabgroups" top-end.

[3] The "viewing simplified web-page" pop-over is rather annoying, when it decides it wants to do so. Only appears when scrolled to the top of a page, disappears if you scroll down, but if the bit of the page you want (to click, maybe, it being a a prime bit of web-page real-estate for useful administrative links on various sites, like Wikis) is hidden by it, then scrolling the page down gets rid of the pop-over, but now the wanted bit of page is not in the scrollable view-window either. I can only imagine that this isn't the kind of issue noticed (or suffered) by most people, else surely there'd be concerted effort to fix it. So, anyway, that's just one of hundreds of such niggles that I put up with, as an example. You won't want me to catalogue them all!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: April 05, 2023, 08:26:15 pm »

The "viewing simplified web-page" pop-over is rather annoying, when it decides it wants to do so. Only appears when scrolled to the top of a page, disappears if you scroll down, but if the bit of the page you want (to click, maybe, it being a a prime bit of web-page real-estate for useful administrative links on various sites, like Wikis) is hidden by it, then scrolling the page down gets rid of the pop-over, but now the wanted bit of page is not in the scrollable view-window either.

That has frustrated me many times in particular on the DFWiki.  It perfectly blocks the Wikis searchbar for me.  I was happy to discover that (at least for the DFWiki pages) I am able to make it go away by tap-swiping it up immediately as it appears.  Regrettably, before I figured that out, I have lost an embarassing amount of time just waiting for it to disappear on its own as I contemplated whether or not I really did want to search for whatever it was.  If I could hold down spacebar or something and burn that notification out of existence, I would.  It serves no use for me, and in all likelihood never will.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: April 20, 2023, 09:43:59 pm »

To be honest though, what has been frustrating me most with computers now is how as a page loads, whether it be a website, or a bluetooth device list, it will show a frozen unresponsove image of that page, and then immediately as it becomes responsive, it will reorder all the buttons so that the choice I chose is now something completely different.  I would much prefer to see a blank splash page as the real page loads than a misleading image of fake links at incorrect coordinates. 

A browser plugin might solve the webpage side of it, but I'd probably have to switch to linux and learn how to code the OS for the settings aspect. 

I suppose it's a small price to pay for such conveniences, and all things considered, the conveniences of the internet age are quite incredible compared to any other point in human history.  I should probably just pause during those buffering moments and be thankful for what I have.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: April 29, 2023, 09:39:06 pm »

After hearing about Windows 11 and how, among other things, it comes with Tiktok and Instagram for... some... reason... I decided to make the switch to Linux.

I've managed to install Xubuntu and get a few things running, but I've run into some problems and would like some help.

One: I'm trying to get Solaar to configure my mouse's DPI, but I keep getting the "did not have permission to open it" message even after disconnecting and reconnecting my mouse.
Two: I keep having to mount my second hard drive every time I boot up the computer. is there a way I can get it to mount automatically?
Three: My games aren't actually running when I try to launch them. I've tried Steam and Lutris on games other people have managed to get running on Linux. When I tried to open Shadows of Doubt, for instance, both Lutris and Steam behaved as though the game had started running (the Play button became a Stop button), but then stopped, and the actual game window never appeared. I have managed to get Assault Android Cactus going, but haven't tried with other games yet.
Four: My computer is one of those gaming laptops that has one integrated graphics card and one non-integrated graphics card that's much more powerful. How do I get the computer to use the non-integrated graphics card?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: April 30, 2023, 02:01:30 am »

Welcome to the fold, brother.

1. Sounds like a permissions problem with the software - maybe you need to chmod or just need to sudo. The programs documentation should have something there for you.
2. This is pretty odd behavior as most distros would do that automatically. Haven't messed with Xubuntu myself, but I assume whatever disk manager they have there will have some options to "mount on startup". Otherwise, it's a little process you can find here.
3. I get this with games that aren't trying to run Steam's proton layer. The tutorials on this are frequent, but here's one that has basically the same info as all the others. Though it could be related to the graphics card thing.
4. Not my area of expertise, but hopefully this can help. Someone else will likely know better.

A few tips to get started in Linux -
learn to use 'man', which is the built-in manual for terminal commands. man chmod, for instance, will give you some information on what chmod does. A lot of it is pretty technical, so it can take some getting used to.
Also, as you probably already know, basically anything in-terminal that works on Xubuntu will work for any of the Debian-based distros, so the information on their forums/tutorials can be useful. There's no need to seek out Xubuntu specific solutions unless it's something to do with the graphical interface (most of the time)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: April 30, 2023, 03:25:33 am »

After hearing about Windows 11 and how, among other things, it comes with Tiktok and Instagram for... some... reason...
Why would they do that, it's almost as if they want people to switch to Linux.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: April 30, 2023, 03:34:00 am »

They don't. What does happen is that on a fresh install you have links to a lot of popular apps pinned to the Start Menu so tech-illiterate people can easily find them. There's a lot of bullshit spread about by Linux cultists trying to push people to switch. Which inevitably fails because most people are not programmers, and "oh, if you don't like something, you can just redo it yourself" is not a feature.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: April 30, 2023, 06:27:19 am »

To be fair, I've got non-uninstallable Twitter (and the rest[1]) on my Android, and they're there on Windows desktop probably as an intellectual legacy of how Apple popularised the "media-ready" Mac desktop with fancy loading bars fully populated with "things Joe Public might like to use" instead of a limited amount of baseline utilities, own-brand program-suites and perhaps a bundled link to the current sponsor (like AOL, generically, or branded to the OEM builder's own suite).

...yeah, not sure this helps anybody, but this greater-than-average incoherent rambling seems to want to tumble out of me.  It's a worldview, highly personalised with me-specific experiences driving it. But it might amuse some people, if I'm not vastly overselling the screed.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: April 30, 2023, 09:15:19 am »

When I tried to type in nvidia-settings in the terminal, I got this message before the window to change settings popped up:

Spoiler: Terminal Message (click to show/hide)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: April 30, 2023, 03:24:02 pm »

For the second time now, trying to get Nvidia drivers working has caused an error on startup I could only solve by reinstalling Xubuntu. First it was due to selecting the wrong driver, and now, after selecting the right driver, I decided to go into nvidia settings and switch to using the nvidia graphics card high-performance.

And this resulted in a i2c timeout error when I tried to reboot the computer.

I’m… beginning to get a little irritated.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: April 30, 2023, 05:41:30 pm »

Might be worth jumping in the Xubuntu discord or IRC to get a direct walk through. Otherwise, I know the whole 'Nvidia drivers' thing is a hassle for linux everywhere. I think PopOS is the only one that comes preconfigured.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: May 01, 2023, 12:58:14 pm »

I find that nvidia's installer 'breaks shit every time', and use the '3rd party drivers' applet to change/configure nvidia's binary drivers.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: May 05, 2023, 10:02:28 am »

Remember my "tabs in Chrome groups" issue? (For those bothered.) Just gone through an app update, today, and the next time I went to switch tabs in Chrome it whirred madly as (it appears) every single group-tab was re-expanded out into being a set of 'flat' single tabs in the outer list.

Long-hold on a link still gives "Open in new tab in group" option (or whatever the exact words, as well as the "Open in new tab"), but this just adds a new top-level tab. Maybe I just need to reinstate some chome:settings thing (either to redisplay each group as was, just allow new groupings to form or perhaps to have groupings back (past and/or future) exactly as 'broken' as before), but right now I'll just content myself to browse through the suddenly expanded 63ish 'top level' singlular tabs and work out what's now duplicate or actually unnecessary/historic.

...just thought it'd interest some people to know. ;)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 06:29:28 am by Starver »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: May 22, 2023, 06:42:35 pm »

Lucid chart is a crap show, my doctor who chart is gone.
Hours of work mapping how every one is related by marriage, murder and 90's one night stands is gone.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 06:55:25 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 348