Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494793 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #5190 on: March 10, 2024, 12:35:34 am »

(Fails to grok why kids want 7700+ resource consuming tabs open 24/7, when they can keep a neat and orderly bookmark file for recently accessed pages instead.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: March 10, 2024, 02:15:04 am »

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 02:16:42 am by Starver »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: March 10, 2024, 03:19:22 am »

Well, I mean, I can see having maybe 4 or 5 tabs.  FOUR or FIVE.  Not "Seven Thousand."

For "Seven Thousand", you are better off with a properly sorted and manicured (eg, with dividers, and nested trees) bookmarks file. You need that ONE page out of your seven thousand you want to keep track of, you can just click 3 times to get it, always, 100% of the time.  No Kvetching when something closes the tab.

The reasons for this are multitudinous, in that inactive tabs **ARE NOT INACTIVE**.  They are still consuming bandwidth, are still processing javascript, are still displaying ads (if you dont have an adblocker), are still processing cookies, and in many cases, are still actively monitoring your browsing experience. 

You should close that shit.(tm)

Even on android, those tabs are still "Doing shit" when you are not actively viewing them. This is true in both android chrome, and android firefox.  The browser will start running the risk of being murdered repeatedly by the zygote process reaper if it gets too unwieldy. For all the reasons above, it will also destroy your data allowance very fast. --Not to mention what it does to your battery, given that javascript is still being processed. Sometimes LOTS of javascript, because of how heavy cross-site javascript tends to be these days.

There are a shitload of reasons to just Close That Shit(tm).

[I have a rooted android phone, so I can make a video about how this is true, by spying on the browser's user process with TOP over an ADB host connection {as root}, then opening and just ignoring a shitload of tabs. I might also add the zram process to the list of monitored tasks, since most modern phones use zram swap, and under memory duress, the phone will make heavy use of it, which is CPU expensive. It's been awhile since I have done a youtube video... I think I'll do this!]

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 03:55:38 am by wierd »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: March 12, 2024, 02:27:06 am »

Dang, 7000 tabs seems a bit excessive.

I used to have a lot open but these days I have somewhere around 80 open at all times and most of them are Bay12 pages I keep meaning to read, the others are related to various projects I still need to finish.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: March 25, 2024, 02:57:44 pm »

Me and a friend have both set up NAS systems using OpenMediaVault, and we would like to connect them over the Internet for limited backup of important files and such. The best way to do this appears to be a tool called "tailscale", but I can't figure out how to get it running properly in a Docker container using Compose.

I've gotten it to the point where the first NAS (the only one I'm running it on at the moment) is connected to the Tailscale network, but I can't currently do anything with the connection.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: March 25, 2024, 03:03:53 pm »

Personally, i'd just use rsync over an ssh tunnel, and have a cron job run it at predetermined times.

https://linux.die.net/man/1/rsync

the ssh tunnel can encrypt the delta transfers against snooping, and adds user-definable levels of security to that effect. (All the way up to AES512, if you REALLY want to.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: March 25, 2024, 03:17:05 pm »

That's something we looked into, but we don't have static IP addresses (which I think are a requirement), and we'd also like to have SMB or at least FTP access so we can get stuff that's not part of the shared backup.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: March 26, 2024, 05:56:41 am »

no, a free dynamic dns will do just fine. :P

Also, why smb or ftp? rsync moves files all by itself. It is a general purpose file copier.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: March 26, 2024, 05:59:08 am »

My only experience with rsync is for mass backup, not trying to copy a single video or GOG installer or such that isn't going to be on both servers.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: March 27, 2024, 01:48:13 am »

For something off the web, you can use curl to pull it. .. Usually.  (Depends on how stupid the webadmin on the other end is, and if they decided to obfuscate links with some javascript handshaking, or CGI gateway bullshit or not.)

Otherwise, any file that the user/group that rsync is running under can be pushed with rsync anywhere rsync can talk to/reach. 

this page covers both local and remote file copies.
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-rsync-to-sync-local-and-remote-directories

single files can be passed instead of a directory, just for completeness.  This is useful for when say, you have an enormous virtual machine disk image (or a LUN image in a SAN server) that you only want to transfer the deltas for (because the image is 20gb in size). 

the only time you would want or need smb and pals, is when you want to access one of the nodes with your local network with windows boxes or something.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: March 27, 2024, 05:19:11 am »

the only time you would want or need smb and pals, is when you want to access one of the nodes with your local network with windows boxes or something.

This is the main sticking point. None of the people involved (including me) would ever use Linux as a primary OS except at gunpoint.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: March 27, 2024, 06:55:45 am »

personally, I have found NFS3 or NFS4 to be substantially faster and more reliable than SMB, but really only works correctly with Linux boxes.

I have a fancy script that fires when my linux equipped laptop signs into my home wifi network, that automatically mounts my NAS's NFS share on a local folder, so I can just work with it.

In terms of speed difference, I have noted that I can get upward of 10mb/sec through the NFS mount (Using wireless AC), and only get about 6mb/sec over the same connection with SMB. Sadly, NFS support on windows is relegated to "Subsystem for Linux", and is ... not that mature or healthy.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: April 01, 2024, 09:18:31 am »

In case anybody's bothered. The RC clock seemed to behave well in its other position.

The other week, though, the firm who did the last wiring/equipment reconfiguring for that house's solar feed-in did a check-up on it and pursuaded the owner (noting, in passing, my own doubts doubts about this not being just an unnecessary up-selling manouever) that there was an 'overvoltage problem' and they needed to provide sell them a further box to solve this. Which was then installed (in the roof space with the isolator/inverter/etc/etc, before the final stretch of wire that brings it down through the wall concerned and into the rest of the stuff).

Owner then moved the clock back to where it originally was. And it went wrong again within a day...

So it's not (all else being equal) 'overvoltage' issues, but the smart meter/etc is of course still there, and the clock clearly needs to be elsewhere for whatever reason.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: April 01, 2024, 03:04:45 pm »

What VPNs do you guys trust? Specifically for a windows PC
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: April 03, 2024, 07:51:07 am »

What VPNs do you guys trust? Specifically for a windows PC

I use Astrill here in China, which has been reliable, and without reports of bullshit. I'd also recommend ProtonVPN, as proton's services all seem to be pretty good eggs.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348