Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494890 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #885 on: July 15, 2014, 02:54:24 pm »

Okay, I guess the only question now is if I go for i7. What do you guys think, i5-4690K or i7-4820K? The latter runs me much closer to budget, but getting it later (and it would have to be much later for me to feel good about having spent money on the i5 first) would also require a motherboard swapout...

Nah, it's too close to budget, and I can be happy with an i5 if I've been happy with an Athalon for all these years.

One last time before I make the purchase, what's supposedly wrong with Thermaltake cases? You mentioned they were bad before, Tell.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:37:08 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 15, 2014, 05:53:05 pm »

They are cheap quality, my old one the front panel broke when i tried to remove it first time, the window was easily scratched and didn't had much room for cable management, paint scratches off like nothing. I go for a Corsair or a Cooler Master case.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 15, 2014, 06:16:23 pm »

They are cheap quality, my old one the front panel broke when i tried to remove it first time, the window was easily scratched and didn't had much room for cable management, paint scratches off like nothing. I go for a Corsair or a Cooler Master case.

How about a Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus, or Corsair SPEC-02?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:23:39 pm by PyroDesu »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 15, 2014, 06:22:54 pm »

I bought this thing (Not my actual case) more than 10 years ago for good case monies (I think ~$130.) Still could not be happier with it.

Just bought this for my brother and his fiance's wedding gifts, because there were about 10 of them sitting around up for grabs at work and I snaked the last one. So I figured they should have a matching set.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 15, 2014, 09:49:07 pm »

How about a Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus, or Corsair SPEC-02?
Both are great brands I lean with the Cooler Master for the rebate but those are good enough. Just be forewarned those glass windows scratch easily so don't lay the computers down on that side.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 15, 2014, 11:06:10 pm »

I suppose I'm done then - went with the Corsair case.

Now, to await the arrival of all the parts.

EDIT - You know what's fun? A whole bunch of parts arriving at different times. My case and SSD are here already, my mobo and probably some other bits arrive tomorrow, and my CPU? 6 days from now, according to the shipping information.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:33:57 pm by PyroDesu »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 18, 2014, 09:32:44 pm »

((Unrelated))

Trying to copy a Collected Works of Lovecraft ebook to my Kindle Fire on a Linux machine.

No matter where I look, my Kindle won't show up on my file system to copy stuff onto it.

Help?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 18, 2014, 09:59:53 pm »

((Unrelated))

Trying to copy a Collected Works of Lovecraft ebook to my Kindle Fire on a Linux machine.

No matter where I look, my Kindle won't show up on my file system to copy stuff onto it.

Help?
Check to see if you have USB storage mode on for the Kindle Fire, make sure its unlocked when you connect. Thats all i can think of.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 19, 2014, 08:53:22 am »

If that doesn't work, you could also temporarily set up an ftp server on the linux box, and use ftp from the browser on the Kindle or get one of the ftp clients for it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 19, 2014, 10:03:29 am »

Any recommendations for hex editors?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 19, 2014, 11:36:10 am »

HxD is very robust and simple to use.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 19, 2014, 01:11:04 pm »

I like Frhed
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #897 on: July 20, 2014, 04:36:46 pm »

I might be a bit long winded here, so for tl;dr version just jump on the questions section.

So, recently I bought a pair of new drives, one SSD and Seagate's new 1TB SSHD.

Just a week ago, last Sunday - Monday night, strange things started happening. I stopped playing Mount and Blade: WFaS after few hours, and suddenly the whole system came to a complete, utter stop. And when it came back to good few seconds later, another such freeze followed shortly. In the end, I chose to shut it down the hard way. Over the next few days, troubles sometimes seemed non-existent, sometimes repeated after playing M&B again. Freezing to a point task manager won't even show up, and when it does, suddenly everything works again. I sometimes saw Windows' WerFault.exe appear in TM, but no actual "this application has stopped responding" window. Sometimes troubles stopped after restart/shut down and power on later, sometimes they persisted even though the computer was shut down for a longer period, so I am excluding overheating of (nearly) any sort. I modified the system according to this guide (everything but step 9), thinking it might be SSD (boot drive) problem. Seemed fine for a day, then again the same. Also clean installed GPU drivers, thinking that might be the problem since no freezing was noticed when running things like browser instead of a game (though M&B isn't that demanding...). Still nothing.

But yesterday I started to hear strange clicking sound. I payed no attention to it at first, but today I finally realized this does come in fact from my SSHD. And it doesn't sound like something normal.
And thing is, I have Steam on it. So I unplug the drive, run SSD only, and voila, no problem detected so far. Only thing bothering me is apart from one game of LoL I didn't run anything graphically demanding yet.

I did a lot of search on the net over last couple of days, but couldn't get any definite answer what might be the problem until today. Now, the symptoms are almost similar to those of hard drive failure I experienced just few weeks ago. The freezing started to appear even during the gameplay and today Windows run automatically disk check of D: (SSHD) after a hard reset I was forced to do in the morning. Did quite some deleting, fixing and recovering, but nothing really changed. Still, I'm not sure, so here are my actual answers:

1. Is it possible a failing PSU is causing power fluctuation so that in a setup of one boot and one storage drive the storage one misbehaves to the point of freezing entire system and making just too many clicking sounds?
2. Could a failing GPU be the cause?
3. Could the failing moba be the cause? I noticed once during one of the general instability periods the writing speed of plugged-in USB stick went drastically down to the point of more or less stopping (though it DID copy from SSHD so...)
4. Or is it really that supposedly brand new SSHD just dying on me?

Might also ask on official Seagate forums though. Might also run official Seagate check disk tool. But I'm asking because, as I said, couldn't get a definite answer on the net and this is the first place I'd ask if any of you just had a similar experience with ANY of the above things failing or just some general suggestions. Thanks.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 20, 2014, 04:58:39 pm »

Oh hey, remember how I thought I fixed the desktop PC by switching out the broken RAM and reinstalling Windows?

Guess what.

The fucker is bluescreening again :I

Right now actually, it's been stuck on the BS for several minutes, dumped 60% of the memory to disk and it just stopped there.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 20, 2014, 07:59:13 pm »

I won't pretend to be any sort of experienced person, Sinistar (look at how much help I needed to build my own computer), but as far as I know, clicking sounds emanating from a spinning-disk type hard drive (which, from what I can tell, is one half of a SSHD - the other being solid-state cache) is basically a death knell.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 348