Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494011 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1245 on: October 22, 2014, 01:44:29 am »

Sappho's new computer was going to be a laptop of somekind, right? I thought those (that are recent enough at least) all had some sort of wifi receiver builtin.

No, it will be a desktop.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: October 22, 2014, 01:51:43 am »

IIRC, you decided on this one, which comes with a wireless-N card.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1247 on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:49 am »

That link is missing an address. : )

I decided on this one: http://www.alza.cz/EN/asus-cm6431-cz005s-d616967.htm

I don't see anything about wireless on there anywhere...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: October 22, 2014, 02:30:44 am »

Ah, I thought you settled on a different one that had wireless. Bit hard to find the conversation in the thread.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: October 22, 2014, 09:18:42 am »

From glancing at their page AIRWAYNET company offers wireless connection (they have covered with 5GHz this parts of Praha 6 - (Střešovice, Břevnov, Veleslavín, Dejvice, Bubeneč, Baba, sídliště Baba, Bílá Hora, Malý Břevnov). AFAIK it works through wifi receiver (antenna), which they will provide to you. It will connect to their private network and get internet from there (their network is connected to internet by fiber optic cable). They are going to put an antenna on the roof of the building, so you will most definitely need the agreement from the owner of the building. Before signing the contract with them, I would have them test the strength of such connection (speed) in your place.

If you need help translating some pages of other czech ISPs, I can help anytime.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:39:26 am by aenri »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:07 am »

Sappho's new computer was going to be a laptop of somekind, right? I thought those (that are recent enough at least) all had some sort of wifi receiver builtin.

No, it will be a desktop.
Ah. Well in that case, Rex is right about the USB wifi receivers. Desktops can also use PCI-E ones, but that involves opening the case up.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1251 on: October 22, 2014, 11:04:58 am »

From glancing at their page AIRWAYNET company offers wireless connection (they have covered with 5GHz this parts of Praha 6 - (Střešovice, Břevnov, Veleslavín, Dejvice, Bubeneč, Baba, sídliště Baba, Bílá Hora, Malý Břevnov). AFAIK it works through wifi receiver (antenna), which they will provide to you. It will connect to their private network and get internet from there (their network is connected to internet by fiber optic cable). They are going to put an antenna on the roof of the building, so you will most definitely need the agreement from the owner of the building. Before signing the contract with them, I would have them test the strength of such connection (speed) in your place.

If you need help translating some pages of other czech ISPs, I can help anytime.

Thanks. I'm in Hradčany, but hopefully close enough to Bubeneč that it would work... I still haven't gotten a response from them about whether it's available here. I really hope so...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1252 on: October 24, 2014, 05:19:22 am »

Quick question about Youtube/Google: I'm in charge of the Youtube channel for my magazine and I have to get the design set up. To create an avatar, you have to upload it to Google+ -- where it is promptly turned into a circle, with no option to make it square.

I remember that this used to be an option, you could choose square or circle, but now it seems to be automatically circle. On the Youtube channel, it appears as a square, but on Google+ it looks like a retarded circle missing pieces (our logo is square). I could shrink the logo so it fits inside the circle, but then the Youtube version would be too small.

I will save my seething rage to take out on a brick wall when I get home from work today. For now, can I just ask if any of you know a way around this? Youtube takes priority, so I'm not shrinking the logo, but we have to make the G+ page look nice as well. Is there any way to fix this? Also, what the fuck kind of fucking bullshit is this? Most logos aren't circles. They encourage businesses to set up G+ sites, but then fuck around with their fucking design and give them no control over it.

Correction: MOST of my rage will be saved for the brick wall. Some of it may leak out now.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: October 24, 2014, 06:30:06 am »

Ok, so as some of you know, I have been having crazy serious problems with my puter. It has demonstrated SEVERE lag, CTD's and other nonsense that makes all the things unplayable.

However, I think I now know what is wrong. I finally connected the dots and looked in the "Processes" tab of my task manager.

What I found is...unpleasant.

There are about 68 processes running as I type this, and I would be lying if I said I knew what any of the little bastards do.

What I DO know is that ONE set of these is throwing my CPU Usage from 1-12% up to 50-100%
On its own.
Well, assisted by...and there it just did it while I was watching, the little bastard FUCKIN REPLICATES ITSELF.

The process(es) in question is "dllhost.exe" with a description of "COM Surro..." (that's all I can get from the description)
Its little self replicated buddies are "dllhost.exe*32" and each one nets between 2000 and 200000 K of memory allocation.

I can delete the problematic little replicants, but the main file isn't being so cooperative. "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied"

So, questions: (1.What the fuck is this shit? (2.How the fuck do I get the "access" to delete the little fucker? (3.Would deleting said fucker do damage to my system somehow? I wouldn't THINK so, seeing the havoc it causes by being active (They just replicated again and spiked me to 100% Usage) but should probably check just to be sure.

EDIT: Oh, and I just realized tons of other shit has the "*32" line after exe...one of which supposedly from my antivirus, one is from dropbox, and two are from Internet Explorer....and one from Spybot...I don't really know WHAT I should be deleting here, other then the little dllhost replicants.

Background: I use Windows 7, Avast antivirus, and have run multiple scans from Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy that all failed to pick this up.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:52:44 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: October 24, 2014, 06:52:32 am »

Sounds like you have a COM Surrogate hijack. Have you tried running something like the (free) boot version of HitmanPro?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: October 24, 2014, 06:53:30 am »

Sounds like you have a COM Surrogate hijack. Have you tried running something like the (free) boot version of HitmanPro?

No I have not. I'll go try that.

Indeed, I do this.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: October 24, 2014, 07:01:27 am »

What I DO know is that ONE set of these is throwing my CPU Usage from 1-12% up to 50-100%
On its own.
Well, assisted by...and there it just did it while I was watching, the little bastard FUCKIN REPLICATES ITSELF.

The process(es) in question is "dllhost.exe" with a description of "COM Surro..." (that's all I can get from the description)
Its little self replicated buddies are "dllhost.exe*32" and each one nets between 2000 and 200000 K of memory allocation.

I can delete the problematic little replicants, but the main file isn't being so cooperative. "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied"

So, questions: (1.What the fuck is this shit? (2.How the fuck do I get the "access" to delete the little fucker? (3.Would deleting said fucker do damage to my system somehow? I wouldn't THINK so, seeing the havoc it causes by being active (They just replicated again and spiked me to 100% Usage) but should probably check just to be sure.

Background: I use Windows 7, Avast antivirus, and have run multiple scans from Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy that all failed to pick this up.

It's a bit of a red herring. DllHost is a system executable, designed to run dlls. Dllhost itself doesn't do anything, it's essentially a container for other things. Unfortunately the task manager doesn't understand this so it blames dllhost for what the dll is doing. As a result viruses often abuse dllhost to appear legit in task manager :)

Then again, you also get viruses using the name of a system component, without actually being said system component, in order to appear to be legit. Could be either here.

To aid in working things out, I recommend you go to "View->Select Columns" in task manager, and turn on "Image Path Name" and "Command Line". The first will tell you if it's the real system dllhost.exe running (it should be in Windows/System32 or Windows/SysWOW64 if it is), the 2nd will tell you what dll it's running that's causing you so much trouble. If you can't identify it, post again here and we'll investigate for you.

68 processes isn't many, I currently have 136 - about half of which are chrome.exe!

EDIT: Oh, and I just realized tons of other shit has the "*32" line after exe...one of which supposedly from my antivirus, one is from dropbox, and two are from Internet Explorer....and one from Spybot...I don't really know WHAT I should be deleting here, other then the little dllhost replicants.
The *32 means it's a 32-bit program. It's nothing to worry about.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: October 24, 2014, 09:25:48 am »

NVM, virus was waiting for congratulations to be given to ironically strike again.

Its kinda a dick like that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:35:33 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: October 25, 2014, 03:08:45 am »

Looked elsewhere, couldn't find anything.

I want to use the formula (a*b*c)/(8*d/1.3) in excel, but cell d is from is using the lookup() function- the formula keeps inputting it as (a*b*c)/(8*"d"/1.3) and the formula breaks. How do I fix this?

E: figured it out, it was because I like to add commas to 100,000's and stuff, my bad!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:24:00 am by Carnwennan »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1259 on: October 26, 2014, 01:22:00 pm »

I managed to spill about half a cup of coffee on my keyboard (USB keyboard attached to a laptop) about an hour ago. Fortunately it was black, no sugar or anything. I turned it upside down to drain the liquid inside, wiped down everything I could, got all the liquid off the surface, and it seemed to be working fine for a while. Then it started acting strange and messing up my entire system. Even after unplugging it, I had to restart the computer to get it to function properly again.

So I turned over the keyboard and opened it up (there were 15 screws!!!), more carefully dried out the inside. I haven't opened up a keyboard in a long time and was surprised to see it looked different than I expected. There's a sheet of plastic with circuitry embedded in it. Under that, there are little rubber cup things on each key that went everywhere when I peeled the plastic layer off. I wiped everything down so it all looked totally dry, but it looked like possibly some of the liquid might have made it between the layers of plastic around the edges, causing the circuits to short out. I tried to put it all back together and, of course, it was even worse than before when I plugged it in. Had to restart the computer again after removing it.

I now have it standing up, leaning against a box near the heater (but not too close). I just want to check that I haven't messed anything up here. I was pretty careful about the placement of those rubber cups, so hopefully I didn't make it worse. Presumably there is, indeed, liquid in the circuitry. I'll leave it to dry overnight, but do I need to do anything else? I can easily buy a new keyboard on my way home from work tomorrow, but I'd hate to do that and then get home and find out it works again. On the other hand, I'm typing on my laptop keyboard right now, and my wrists hurt already just from writing this message. It's just about the worst-designed keyboard in history. It looks like this:

So much for playing Minecraft tonight!
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 348