Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 493793 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1290 on: November 19, 2014, 03:21:35 pm »

Check in your drivers' software, I'm pretty sure nVidia's can do things like that, but I don't know about any others.

That said it sounds like a bit of a fault if it's that bright.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1291 on: November 19, 2014, 03:57:49 pm »

I'm definitely hypersensitive, so it might be just me. But my old laptop was not even close to this bright.

The NVidia panel has an option to turn down brightness, but it does it in a strange way which messes with the gamma and the colors. I'm hoping there's another way...

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Firefox updates
« Reply #1292 on: November 20, 2014, 08:27:23 am »

Hello!

Since several weeks I am forced to update manually Firefox on my other laptop because it didn't work automatically, especially since, when I go to the update page of Firefox it prints my navigator is up to date.

(For info I'm under 33.0.3 while the latest version is 33.1)
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: November 20, 2014, 09:30:32 pm »

Chrome is behaving strangely lately - often, clicking on a link will greet me with a blank white page, as though the browser just decided not to load anything. Refreshing fixes it, but it's annoying as hell. Any idea what's up? There are no error messages or other diagnostics I can think of, so if it's not a known quirk then it's probably unfixable. Windows 7 64-bit, Chrome (and Chrome derivatives through Chromium) is the only browser that seems to be displaying this problem (or else it just has stopped happening in the last hour since I started checking possible problem sources).
That sounds a lot like it's trying to load something and either being stopped by something else or just loading really slowly (which could be an internet problem, but since you mention it only happens in chrome I'm guessing that isn't it). I'd try disabling all of your extensions (private mode is a good quick flip for that unless you've changed settings) to see if one of them is interfering with the page loading process by trying to modify content or some other shit like that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: November 27, 2014, 03:52:16 am »

Not sure where to put this, but does anyone have Linux and be willing to spare a few minutes to help me out? I'm on a quest to recover a downed website through its Google cache, and it has led me to Warrick, a program that pulls together archived versions of the website. However, it only works on Linux, and I'm running Windows. Would someone be willing to help me?
Look, I'm gunning for D&D Tools, but I'm too embarrassed to come out and admit it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1296 on: November 28, 2014, 06:37:58 am »

I saw yesterday, but wasn't on a Linux machine at the time. I'll help you if trying to get the program to run doesn't make me want to kill myself. :P

It works. What website do you want?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:34:10 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 28, 2014, 11:26:52 am »

Hey all.
So recently a cat bit the end of the USB for my drawing tablet. I don't want to just throw it away, but the USB doesn't fit anymore, being bent out of shape. Any ideas on how to fix that?
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: November 28, 2014, 11:46:21 am »

if it's only the metal bit, and not the connector itself, just bend it back into shape. Pliers help :)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: November 28, 2014, 03:00:18 pm »

I saw yesterday, but wasn't on a Linux machine at the time. I'll help you if trying to get the program to run doesn't make me want to kill myself. :P

It works. What website do you want?
Thank you so much! Dndtools.eu, if its not too much trouble!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: November 28, 2014, 03:15:19 pm »

Web archives only store the output of a website, so it won't restore any dynamic pages or database stuff, so I don't think any web archive will help you with that one.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: November 28, 2014, 03:25:12 pm »

That's fine. I don't need that.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1302 on: November 29, 2014, 04:59:23 am »

Well, I'll try. My Internet is being bad today, though; I can make no immediate promises. How many pages should I expect to be pulling down? If it's going to be more than fifty megs or so, I'll have issues.

Edit [10:16 GMT]: It's not archived, apparently. I'll see if Warrick manages anything new after chugging away for another while (doesn't cast me anything), but it's giving me a lot of 'Unable to download... Resource not archived' messages, along with a number of other oddities.

Edit [10:29 GMT]: Oh it, is. There's a bunch of stuff coming down.

Edit [10:40 GMT]: At this rate, I'll have it for you by Christmas. It's got to the Abolisher class, so far.

Edit [11:29 GMT]: Day Two of my endeavor. No water anywhere in site (hehe). I have not even passed all the 'A' classes. This may be my last entry for some time.

Edit: [12:11 GMT]: My poorly-bred horse canters more slowly than I walk. Milestones indicate I have traveled less than ten megabytes from my start point.

Edit: [12:33]:
That's fine. I don't need that.

How sure are you? Half the useful stuff was stored in a database. The Spells/Level 9 page for the Agent Retriever looks like this:

D&Dtools
Feats. Spells. Prestige Classes. And more!

Home (1)
    Rulebooks
    Feats
    Spells
    Classes
    Skills
    Contact Us
    Staff

» Classes » Agent Retriever » level 9 spells
All social disabled (faster)
(Rank whole site)

Agent Retriever level 9 spells

More spell levels: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
‹‹ previous 1 next ›› (total 0 items)
Items per page:
Spell name    Spell School    V S M AF DF XP    Rulebook name    Edition
‹‹ previous 1 next ›› (total 0 items)
Items per page:
Comments on the whole site

But the class information is intact - skills, features, hit dice, etc. I don't think the style sheet was archived anywhere, though - it's all default formatted html.

Edit [15:08 GMT]: [CHRISTMAS INTENSIFIES]

Edit [15:48 GMT]: Up to Bear Warrior. I'm going to have to work out how to pause this at some point, because I'll want my Windows partition tomorrow afternoon. Hm.

Edit [17:57 GMT]: Bone Knight. It might make it up to 'g' by tomorrow afternoon.

Edit [19:26 GMT]: All the way up to Ci. Will leave it running overnight.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:25:49 pm by Arx »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: November 29, 2014, 07:55:32 am »

Didn't the shutdown page say that several users had copies of the DB?
You could try asking around and see if you can find somebody that has it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1304 on: November 29, 2014, 08:05:59 am »

Not sure if I'd have to re-write the database reading code if I wanted that, which I think I might be able to do but would be a massive schlep. I'm having difficulty working out if the archived files have the required stuff, or if it was all PHP that didn't get archived. Not sure MNiI has the skill or desire to do so either.

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 347