Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494185 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1545 on: March 05, 2015, 04:19:02 am »

In this case though, the system is "normal", but does not kick on the fan until "ZOMG! THE NUKES ARE GOING OFF!" happens.  That's a thermostat sensor problem, probably attributed to shitty system design. (Acer related is a definite possibility.)  However, even without the fan blowing, the heat sink SHOULD be diffusing a great deal of the heat if the thermal paste is worth a shit.
I know that there are a fair number of programs out there that let you manually control your fans, and many of them let you set it to scale automatically on a certain sensor from X temperature to Y temperature. If the problem is just that the fans aren't turning on you can probably use one of those to force them to turn on when they should be.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 05, 2015, 05:29:03 am »

Yeah... I can go shopping for the thermal paste tommorow, my dad has an air compressor so when he has the time he says he'll help me with blowing the dust out, but I just experienced another crash... sigh.
Definitely investing on good cooling when I get a new computer. Except for the crashing and over-heating, this one's really good though.

The general recommendation is to get a gaming PC, with a nice big case and nice large low RPM fans for good cooling and easy maintenance, and a non-gaming laptop for any portable computing. A laptop will last a good time if its hardware isn't being taxed to hell all the time :P

Though this depends on your circumstance.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 05, 2015, 10:45:21 am »

In this case though, the system is "normal", but does not kick on the fan until "ZOMG! THE NUKES ARE GOING OFF!" happens.  That's a thermostat sensor problem, probably attributed to shitty system design. (Acer related is a definite possibility.)  However, even without the fan blowing, the heat sink SHOULD be diffusing a great deal of the heat if the thermal paste is worth a shit.
I know that there are a fair number of programs out there that let you manually control your fans, and many of them let you set it to scale automatically on a certain sensor from X temperature to Y temperature. If the problem is just that the fans aren't turning on you can probably use one of those to force them to turn on when they should be.
I don't think I could use SpeedFan to control the fans on my Aspire, though. It didn't detect them.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:05 am »

Hooray for non-ACPI compliant sensors and fans!

Seriously, this standard has been around since the 90s. and manufacturers STILL dont' follow it?

The reason why your fan control chip didnt show up, was because it is non-ACPI compliant. 

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 05, 2015, 06:52:45 pm »

Ever since Windows XP (possibly since Windows 98, in fact) I've created a "shortcuts" menu in my taskbar by putting my important shortcuts in a folder, attaching it as a toolbar, and shrinkng that toolbar to where only the title and expansion arrow shows. This has proved quite convienint (I like having a menu that everything has to be added to manually while still keeping the "kitchen sink" Start Menu), but it is damnably slow to load. Is there some third-party softare that would give me the same functionality in Win7 at a decent speed?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: March 05, 2015, 07:21:34 pm »

I don't think I could use SpeedFan to control the fans on my Aspire, though. It didn't detect them.
Yeah, as I said I am using Afterburner to monitor my heat, and said program is theoretically capable of detecting and setting clock speed and fan speed, but the fan setting bar is greyed out, and the clock-speed bar jumps back to where it was when I try to change it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: March 05, 2015, 10:24:35 pm »

Woo! We managed to get to the thermal pad and replaced it (It had melted into a thin layer of dust surounded by a ring of rubber-like goo), and get my computer back together. So far I haven't tested it to see if it heats up, but I'm making this post from it so it's so-far-so-good.

The Cyan Menace

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: March 06, 2015, 12:29:20 am »

PLEASE tell me you replaced it with proper thermal joint compound, and NOT another horrible thermal conductive pad--- PLEASE!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: March 06, 2015, 12:49:34 am »

PLEASE tell me you replaced it with proper thermal joint compound, and NOT another horrible thermal conductive pad--- PLEASE!
Ayup:
Like say, Arctic Silver

Hasn't gone above 54 this whole time, thanks. :)
The Cyan Menace

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 06, 2015, 12:56:35 am »

YAY!!

You see what I mean now about those pads "Breaking down", right?  They get "Crispy", "Crumbly", and basically ineffective for the intended purpose about 2 years into service. Proper thermal compound on the other hand, can faithfully serve for over a decade.

In short, the thermal goo, (especially if you used arctic silver) will last longer than your laptop will continue being serviceable. (It will become too obsolete to be useful before that thermal compound stops working.)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 06, 2015, 01:44:46 am »

Arctic Silver tubes are tiny, but they never run out :)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: March 16, 2015, 08:37:34 am »

Hello!

I finally decided to just nuke the whole thing and to reinstall Windows.

Could you indicate me if I should use Avast and Malwarebytes to prevent further infection and, given my WiFi connexion is getting slow, how to make sure my USB key on which I intend to put the installers for these anti-viruses doesn't infect my laptop.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 16, 2015, 10:39:43 am »

As well as avast and malwarebytes, set up your admin account, then make a user account with no admin rights. Always use the user account except when installing new software. That's another line of defense - attackers will often hijack the user permissions of the account running the code, so if you don't have more privileges than needed for day to day operations, you will get less attacks.

As for infected USB sticks, are you sure that's happening? I remember having that problem once but many years ago. It was common on earlier builds of Windows XP which would automatically run autorun code from a USB stick, but was patched so that autorun didn't work like this any more. It's unlikely that you'd have a boot-infected USB stick now if you're using Windows 7 or 8. Just install the virus software, update the definitions, then scan and clean the USB stick just to be sure.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:55:30 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 16, 2015, 11:13:53 am »

As well as avast and malwarebytes, set up your admin account, then make a user account with no admin rights. Always use the user account except when installing new software. That's another line of defense - attackers will often hijack the user permissions of the account running the code, so if you don't have more privileges than needed for day to day operations, you will get less attacks.

As for infected USB sticks, are you sure that's happening? I remember having that problem once but many years ago. It was common on earlier builds of Windows XP which would automatically run autorun code from a USB stick, but was patched so that autorun didn't work like this any more. It's unlikely that you'd have a boot-infected USB stick now if you're using Windows 7 or 8. Just install the virus software, update the definitions, then scan and clean the USB stick just to be sure.

There is malware that reflashes the firmware inside the usb stick, making it into a very hard to clean infection vector.  It does not need to tamper with the filesystem on the drive, it rewrites the drive's firmware and then does nasty things with USB protocol vulnerabilities.

sadly, other than religious zeal against plugging random usb drives in? no real solution.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 16, 2015, 12:18:59 pm »

As far as I know, it's much like stuff that reflashes the BIOS with malicious code: really complex stuff,the sort of thing that comes from governments rather than criminals (well, ordinary criminals).

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 348