Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494353 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1590 on: March 23, 2015, 06:48:30 pm »

I was confused before, he's in the boot menu. You have to pick safe mode from the boot menu options.

Well perhaps I haven't been clear enough. Here's what's happening...

When I press F8 it takes me to a black screen with white text that show info about my PC and a thing reading Press Esc For Startup Menu. Well, I press ESC but can't seem to find any way to make the PC go into safe mode from there.

That doesn't sound right. There shouldn't be ANY info about your PC in the F8 boot menu. Are you sure you're not just looking at the boot screen there? Does Esc give you the BIOS screen where you see stuff about your CPU and Hard-drives? If so, you're in the wrong place totally.

You need to click F8 after the hardware tests but just before the OS loads. It's in that split second between the hardware information on screen, but just before the windows logo appears. Do not hit ESC, just tap F8 every half a second or so. If it gets to the graphical windows loading screen, then you missed the moment where you need to click F8.

This will give you the Windows 7 boot loader where you can choose how to start windows.

You can also deliberately cause the machine to reboot/crash during windows loading (just nuke it with the power button/reset button or CTRL-ALT-DEL while windows is trying to start up). If you do that, then windows will detect that it failed to boot, and take you to the recovery screen by itself.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:05:01 pm by Reelya »

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 23, 2015, 06:53:49 pm »

Where windows startup settings should be, instead there's something called UEFI Firmware Settings. Am I doing something wrong?
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 23, 2015, 07:01:23 pm »

UEFI is more or less the BIOS screen, so you're probably in the wrong place.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 23, 2015, 07:16:58 pm »

God dammit... I've wasted the entire day on this. I have no idea what UEFI or BIOS or any of that means. I'm really far from an expert on stuff like this and I am incredibly confused... Am I just doomed or what??
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 23, 2015, 07:38:27 pm »

BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is the thing that happens before your operating system starts. (Your "Black screen with white text.") It actually tells all the parts of the computer, "Okay, it's time to work now!"

Win8+, Mac and Linux/Unix (all for a long time now) use UEFI instead of BIOS, because UEFI is more refined and can do more with hardware.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: March 23, 2015, 07:51:29 pm »

the BIOS is stuff the hardware manufacturer puts in that you can change. It has nothing to do with Windows or Drivers.

It's simple. If you have windows 7

1) turn on computer

2) keep tapping F8. don't fucking touch any other key. This is probably where you are screwing up. Don't hit Esc. That is to get into the low-level hardware settings, it's not a Windows thing. The hardware menu comes up first no matter what you do, it gives you time to access it by hitting Esc. after that Windows boots, and Windows gives you a short time to click F8 and get into the Windows loader screen. but you have to NOT enter the hardware manufacturers setting screen to get to that point.

3) assuming you only clicked F8, and didn't click any other key, you will end up on windows boot loader screen.

4) if you didn't see a boot loader screen, and windows 7 graphical logo appears, you didn't press F8 at the right time. reboot the computer and go back
to step 1.

5) Pick Safe Mode option from Windows 7 boot menu.

6) Windows will load but there will be "safe mode" written in the corners.

7) go to device manager, completely delete entries for mouse and keyboard (don't "disable" just remove them).

8 ) reboot normally. Windows should detect the mouse and keyboard.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:10:55 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 26, 2015, 11:41:35 pm »

I keep getting emails from my ISP about a possible malware infection, but the email doesn't give enough details to track it down (although the site it appears to be linking to is consistent with an infection), and Malwarebytes doesn't find anything on any of my computers. Is there a trace tool to figure out what devices on my LAN tried to access a given IP, or some other effective detector that might help?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: March 27, 2015, 01:34:58 am »

Your router should be able to give you a list of all the devices on your network (e.g. DHCP Lease Table), check that matches the devices you think are on your network. If you have WiFi consider changing the password, it could be it's not one of your computers at all!

Most routers don't have the ability to check what computers on the network are accessing, unfortunately.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 27, 2015, 03:24:14 am »

wireshark may be helpful.  If you know what kind of traffic is involved (HTTP, etc..), then put a device into promiscuous mode on your end, and start sniffing traffic. That should let you know which device is producing traffic.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 27, 2015, 04:56:05 pm »

wireshark may be helpful.  If you know what kind of traffic is involved (HTTP, etc..), then put a device into promiscuous mode on your end, and start sniffing traffic. That should let you know which device is producing traffic.
Yeah, if you can't track it down any other way this is generally the way to go, though be warned that there's quite a lot of options and things you can do in wireshark that won't make sense unless you know exactly what you are doing, so don't be afraid to check for a tutorial on how to capture stuff.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: March 28, 2015, 05:56:33 pm »

My (Windows 8, Lenovo) laptop cannot read the charge on my battery. When plugged in, it says that it is 'Plugged in, but not charging'. When unplugged, it says that there is 'Unknown [amount] remaining'.
I've tried reinstalling the charging drivers, but to no avail.
Anyone have any ideas?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: March 28, 2015, 06:06:17 pm »

I keep getting emails from my ISP about a possible malware infection, but the email doesn't give enough details to track it down (although the site it appears to be linking to is consistent with an infection), and Malwarebytes doesn't find anything on any of my computers. Is there a trace tool to figure out what devices on my LAN tried to access a given IP, or some other effective detector that might help?

If you know the IP address, you can also try redirecting that address to 127.0.0.1 in your windows "Hosts" file, which is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc. The "Hosts" file was the precursor to DNS servers in general, and it's sort of a legacy thing that's stuck around in Windows. It converts IP addresses before they get sent out.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: March 28, 2015, 06:48:26 pm »

My (Windows 8, Lenovo) laptop cannot read the charge on my battery. When plugged in, it says that it is 'Plugged in, but not charging'. When unplugged, it says that there is 'Unknown [amount] remaining'.
Anyone have any ideas?
How old is the battery? The last time I'd seen 'Plugged in, not charging' my battery was soon not charging at all, as it was dead.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: March 28, 2015, 06:49:30 pm »

Anyone have any ideas?
How old is the battery? The last time I'd seen 'Plugged in, not charging' my battery was soon not charging at all, as it was dead.
It's ~7 months old.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: March 28, 2015, 06:54:20 pm »

Probably not dead then, I'd hope.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 348