Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 492448 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1605 on: March 28, 2015, 07:12:44 pm »

This is the hope.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: March 28, 2015, 07:29:23 pm »

You could try booting another OS off a CD/DVD or a USB, see if that can see your battery.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 29, 2015, 03:45:07 am »

Download BatteryInfoView and it should display various bits of information about your battery, including its capacity, cycle count and wear level.

The last time I had this problem, the adaptor socket in my Dell laptop was damaged and it wouldn't properly identify the adaptor (despite still powering it) and thus refused to charge. I fixed it by super-gluing the plug back together.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: March 29, 2015, 01:23:37 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:02:22 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 29, 2015, 03:41:38 pm »

Get EASUS Partition Manager, and use it to delete the partition on the Vista hard drive (I'm assuming that you've found a way to connect the laptop HD to the computer you're using, if not you'll have to do that first.) Create and format a new partition.

The steps here should help you prepare a USB stick for reinstallation. In theory, you would be able to do a full format and wipe as part of the installation process, but I've had trouble with that in the past, so I always partition it seperately.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: March 29, 2015, 03:48:40 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:02:00 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 29, 2015, 03:51:39 pm »

There's Linux distros that run off a stick, I think you should be able to boot up Linux and format from it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 29, 2015, 03:53:33 pm »

So, for clarity, I'm wiping it so that I can give it to someone else who needs it. I don't have any way to directly connect the two machines--say, via a USB--or else I would just run an eraser from my Windows 7 box to kill the Vista box. I don't need to partition the drive--there's just one drive, and it needs to be wiped.

I find partitioning to be the most reliable way of wiping a disc, as something always seems to go wrong when I format without repartitioning first. DJ's suggestion of a Linux USB distro is a good one, but I'm Linux-illiterate, so I can't help there. 
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 29, 2015, 04:17:44 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:01:52 pm by Vector »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 29, 2015, 06:32:00 pm »

Download BatteryInfoView and it should display various bits of information about your battery, including its capacity, cycle count and wear level.

The last time I had this problem, the adaptor socket in my Dell laptop was damaged and it wouldn't properly identify the adaptor (despite still powering it) and thus refused to charge. I fixed it by super-gluing the plug back together.
Well, that's not really helpful, per se. It says that the battery wear level is 100%, which is, while inaccurate, possibly helpful.
Other than that, I'm getting the same readings as before.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 30, 2015, 12:10:11 am »

If you are paranoid about data, then the tool to use is DBAN.  (Darik's Boot and Nuke)

http://www.dban.org/

It is DoD certified data erasure. Much more aggressive than a simple format. Quick, easy to use. Boot, choose nuke. that simple.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 30, 2015, 12:32:40 am »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:02:12 pm by Vector »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 30, 2015, 12:44:49 am »

DBAN can DEFINITELY work off a USB stick.

Something like LiLi (linux Live USB creator) should be able to do it pretty effortlessly, and is free software.
uNetBootin is supposedly able to do it too, but I have never had good luck with unetbootin.

I make live USB sticks out of linux install disc images all the time with LiLi.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 30, 2015, 02:10:44 am »

Unfortunately, DBAN would not put itself on my USB no matter how many different ISO-to-USB programs I used (I tried four or five). It looks like there's a commercial alternative that they're trying to promote which does let you mount onto USB, but I didn't have that option and needed to get the whole damn thing done by this evening after having wasted most of yesterday trying to fuck about with DBAN. So, instead I used Partition Wizard and wrote over the drive 7 times with that, which I assume will be enough.

7 times? a single pass with zero write out would have been plenty.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1619 on: March 31, 2015, 06:32:38 am »

So apparently I have finally reached the point when I have to change my GPU, for realz now. Screen-wide corrupting artifacts resulting in complete freeze, computer not restarting properly unless if I cut power completely and display drivers re-install not making a difference is the final wake up call I needed apparently, hehe.

Anyways, last time I asked here I've been suggested either Radeon's R7 250X or nVidea's 750 Ti. I can get a 2GB DDR5 250X for just about 120€ at lowest. However, I've spotted 260X and getting a 2GB version would make my pockets emptier for about 142€ which is just about what I'm prepared to give. Meanwhile, cheapest 750 Ti around here is 166€ so unless there is some real incentive to spend further 20/40€, I'd rather stay with Radeon (my current GPU is 512MB HD4850, for reference)

So here are two questions: 260X worth that extra ~20€ over 250X?
AND
Should I pay attention to which company is producing this cards? 250X I'm eying is from Gigabyte, 260X from Sapphire.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 347